What's new

Is Yamaha possibly the most solidly built components ever in the HT arena? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I ask this question because of all of the HT gear produced in the past several years, not once can I remember Yamaha being affected by some major QC issue that others have such as the debacle w/ Harman Kardon a few years back w/ the AVR-65, and then Denon after that w/ all of the overheating issues w/ the AVR 3300. Also not to be forgotten is the Sony ES problems reported a few years back w/ some of their units overheating and shutting off. You may be able to recall other brands as well, but throughout the last few years, Yamaha, as a whole, has been virtually major issue free. Now I know that some of you will post replies like: "Well my (insert brand or model) hasn't given me a single problem". Or, some might go on about the "Yamaha's not perfect either..." rant. I'm not saying that Yamaha is perfect, nor am I a Yammie fanboy. I've had many brands of receivers incuding Yamaha, and I'm actually looking to purchase the Sony 5ES soon. It's just that Yamaha seems to have been affected less w/ lemon equiptment that does what it's not supposed to do and vice versa. For those of you who agree, to what do you attribute this?....Luck? (which I don't believe in),....or solid QC and R&D? And please, no Yammie haters who want to disagree just because you don't like the brand.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You may be correct. Over the past two and a half years surfing these Forums I’ve seen very few isolated instances of people complaining about this or that problem with this or that receiver, but no sign of a single model singled out as consistently problematic.

However, at Audioreview.com I have seen complaints with certain DVD players and/or changers, but the source of much of this might be installations that lacked adequate ventilation (some DVD players don’t take well to a lot of heat).

You might get a better idea of this topic by looking at the Yamaha receiver reviews at Audioreview.com.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
I would say both QC and R&D. I hold

my RX-V2095 up with the very best. It

may be alittle outdated but never outperformed.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Ditto on both QC and R&D. At the Best Buy I work for we get very few back in need of service during the warranty period and I personally never replaced one on the No Lemon Policy. Yes, I see a few come in for repairs. One of my friends had his RXV-1105 in a few weeks ago.. A few remotes here and there. With many items that you fix, you get them home and use them for a few weeks or months only to have them crap out again. When the Yammies get fixed, they seem to carry on about their business and remain problem free for years. I personally own a HTR-5280 and my boss has the 5490. Between a few of my co-workers there are, 3 5450's, 2 5460's, 1 5560, and several one-off's that are older than that.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Iam switching out my 995 for a 2200 , had a 690 among others but never any problems ...guess that's why I sell more of their rcvrs than anyone else in my company...I liked my denons 2500, 3300, 3801, etc...but when I switched to B&K for my main system I kept the 995 for the bedroom rather than the 3801....Ihave had some minor issues with DENON, BOTH PERSONALLY AND WITH CUSTOMERS BUT RARELY WITH YAMAHA,,EXCUSE caps...

MarkO

Second Unit
I had the RXV-995 for about two years. I did have a problem with the volume control motor sticking at times. Funny thing the above poster mentioned the problems with the harman/kardon AVR65. I bought the Yamaha because of the problems I had with the 65. I returned it in exchange for the Yammie. The Yamaha diddent sound as good as the h/k tho. I guess I have come full circle because im back with h/k again.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
I am a big Yamaha fan. And I do believe that the QC is top notch considering we're talking about affordable mid-fi gear. It's actually the build quality and DSP sounds that make Yammy my fav brand. My theory as to why Yamaha may be a little "better" in terms of QC is that Yamaha is a Pro Audio company - perhaps their manufacturing standards a little higher.

Rich B.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They’re a pro-audio company? All this time I thought they were a motorcycle company. Or was it a piano company? Or a guitar company? Or an outboard motor company? :D
Truth is, Yamaha seems to be a major contender in just about every market they participate in.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg Br

Second Unit
Yamaha's name carries with it alot of respect, kinda like JBL speakers of 10 years ago(not that they are not good now just better then).

The reason I when t with a Yamaha receiver over Denon and Onkoyo was the reliability issue and record of Yamaha.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Not to mention the physical build quality of the Yamaha equipment. My V1200 is built like a friggin tank!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've been using Yamahas for a few years now and have been quite happy with them. First a 2092, then a 3090 that died a premature death due to lightning, and now an RX-V1. However they are not perfect. The RX-V1 has such an annoying bug that I don't see how it could slip through QA. Every now and then something happens between the processor and one of the amplifiers, and it shuts off. I just have to plug a cable briefly into the pre-in and pre-out, then it works again. I'm not the only one that's reported this problem on this forum. So they're not perfect, but they're close.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
You seem to be right. I've been lurking or posting on this forum for over 3 years and don't think I've ever seen anyone bitching about the build quality of Yamaha receivers. I think they have to do some work on the ergonomics of the remotes and other little things; but they sure can put stuff together well.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Ditto on the top notch QC and R&D at Yamaha. I have had numerous Yamah components and receivers over the past 20+ years and have had exactly one problem, which I think may have actually been shipping damage.

I still have a K-960/dbx cassette recorder in my rack that I purchased in 1982. It has performed flawlessly since the day I bought it and I still use it to make tapes for my car. However, I am planning on upgrading my car system with a CD-only head unit and new speakers, so I won't have much use for the K-960 pretty soon.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hello All-

I bought the First Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver in 1991 RXV-850

with digital pro-logic called Pro-logic Enhanced. I NEVER had a problem with the Receiver except for the remote AND That sucker weights More than MOST of the receivers now.

Really good piece of gear. I bought it for ONLY $500.00 at the time and sold it for a little over $300.00 last year!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I just got a HTR-5440. I've actually had to return it once. The AR banana plugs I used got stuck in its spring clip connections that are supposed to be able to handle nana plugs. Also, the remote had a loose piece of plastic inside that was driving me nuts until I pryed it open with a screw driver. No big faults though. I hope it will hold up as well as my fathers 30 year old Sansui au-9500. It was a 55lb integrated amp that we never had any problem with.

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
I hope y'all are right!

Just got my first HT receiver, a Yamaha 2200!

(tough choice between that and the Denon 3802)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I have owned 2 different Yammie receivers since the "dolby digital/dts dvd era". The first was an RX-V992 dolby digital only and about four months ago I upgraded to the RX-V3200 and have had no problems whatsoever with either. Needless to say, I think any Yamaha receiver would be a great buy for anyone in the market for a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks