What's new

Reviews of Receivers (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've been doing my research as to what AV receiver and speakers to buy (I'm currently using a basic HTiB), and of course this entails reading as many magazines I can get my hands on, and the reviews on this forum.

many reviews will discuss the ability of a receiver to deal with stereo music, as opposed to movies. for instance, the Marantz SR52000 seems to rate very highly in this department, as compared to the Onkyo 595.

my question: does this refer to the receiver's qualities as an amp only, or as a digital-analog converter (DAC) as well? i.e. would the CD player be hooked up optically/ digitally and the receiver does the conversion as well as amplification before sending the signal to the speakers, or would the CD player perform the conversion and send the analog signal via 2 RCA cables to the receiver for amplification and onwards to the speakers?

this leads to another query: there's often a comment that DVD players make for (relatively) poor CD players. but if it's used solely as a transport, and the digital signal is sent straight to the receiver for conversion, does it make that big a difference?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've always assumed that they use all of the receiver's "built-in" features: the onboard dd/dts decoder or the onboard DAC.
that would make more sense since the average joe doesn't utilize external decoders. plus, that way, when they do an evaluation of the receiver, they're not "adding" an unknown factor into the test.
but i'm just guessing here. i'm not really sure to be honest...

chella

Stunt Coordinator
DVD players make for (relatively) poor CD players
I think this comment stems from the fact that DVD players use a different laser than the CD players. The comment may be true if you are comparing a $250 DVD player to a $500 CD player. On the other hand if you are comparing a $250 DVD player to a $150 CD player, I can bet the differences may not be obvious in a non-critical listening. Also many of the current generation DVD players have dual laser pick-up for the purposes of doing a good job on both DVD and CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks