Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movies you no longer care for...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 10:55 AM

Are there any movies that you no longer care for? As you get older, wiser, and a little more educated, movies that you once enjoyed may not have the same appeal that they once did. I really got into slasher flicks and other low-budget horror films when I was a teenager - I even subscribed to Fangoria magazine! But now, I no longer care for them. Sure, I still admire Romero's zombie movies and a handful of others, but I have little interest in seeing your basic splatter flick. Same goes for raunchy comedies. How about you?

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 10:58 AM

I thought Heathers was the bees knees when I was in high school. Now, as an adult I can see how horribly misguided and pandering the film really was. I feel similarly about The Breakfast Club (although to a lesser degree).

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 11:04 AM

Yep, I agree with you on Heathers. Same goes for Pump Up the Volume.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 11:11 AM

Definitely Breakfast Club, and even more so Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That smug little brat needs to get smacked around a little. And yeah, Heathers has lost much of its charm, too, but I can still watch it.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 18 2002 - 12:54 PM

Return of the Jedi. I pray that Lucasfilm will release the trilogy separately so I can enjoy Empire and Star Wars ONLY.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 01:52 PM

I can see how Heathers could lose some of its lustre, although it's still a damn good flick.

Childhood faves like Willow, The Goonies and Krull are not as sweet as I remember, although I'll still defend 'em to the ends of the earth. Posted Image

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 02:09 PM

Conan the Barbarian tops the list for me right now. I re-rented the DVD recently and I was so excited to see it again. Very disappointed. Great cinematography and some decent action but the plot was so weak and the dialog was just awful. - Jeff

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 03:43 PM

The only one I can think of is Earthquake. It was cool when I saw it in the theaters as a kid, but now it's just a horribly acted movie.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 03:48 PM

Ditto for Heathers, Conan the Barbarian, and Krull. I still love the Goonies, which is reassuring. The same with Big Trouble in Little China. I have fears about The Breakfast Club.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 03:49 PM

Willow - I loved this movie as a kid, and I recently saw it on DVD and thought "huh?".

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,761 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 18 2002 - 04:16 PM

Horror movies.

I still love all the classic horror movies, the Universal Classics, the Hammer Horrors and always will, but I've lost interest in todays modern horror flick, I don't care a jot about the Screams and the Blair Witches and so on, the Elm Streets have dated badly and so 80's now, IMO there are very few horror movies in the last 20 or so years that stick out as shining examples of the genre, Kubrick's The Shining is one.Posted Image

ps. I enjoyed Blade 1 & 2 but as blood thirsty comic book action movies.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 04:50 PM

I thought The Mummy Returns was pretty good when I saw it in theaters. Now, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 939 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 05:07 PM

Krull. I bet I saw that flick at least 200 times between the ages of 5-7. The DVD was released last year and was excited to get it, I hadn't seen it in at least 10 years. Sat down to watch it and it just wasn't the same, it seemed kind of boring. Although I still enjoy it, it just isn't as good as it was when I was younger.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,046 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted April 19 2002 - 05:59 AM

Once released, I bought The Neverending Story. I watched it that night (a rarity), and put it away, sadly to never be seen again Posted Image

I still love The Goonies and Dragonslayer, though Posted Image

Take care,

Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 06:43 AM

Airplane! wasn't nearly as funny, I quickly traded the DVD. Ditto on Heavy Metal.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 09:48 AM

Add me to the list that doesn't really enjoy Krull anymore. Lo and behold, Liam Neeson was in this movie. It's amazing what you discover down the road.

As a side note, since I've aged some, I think the princess is kind of cute. Posted Image

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 11:10 AM

The Wizard of Oz Probably saw it too many times as a kid!
For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 12:36 PM

Forrest Gump. I liked it when it first came out, but now I hate it.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,361 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 12:39 PM

Corvette Summer, what was I on?

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 01:19 PM

I'll second Willow. It's still ok, but not as good as I remember it to be.
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users