What's new

are there any people who dislike the Swan Diva speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jim Kosinski

Auditioning
I have read numerous posts praising the Diva speakers, but almost none from people who were unhappy. I am starting to think that maybe its worth the risk to try a set of 6.1's. But, there have to be people who are unhappy for one reason or another.

I'd like to hear some of the negative comments before making a decision.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
My wife hates 'em. She absolutely can't stand them!

They're big, I play them too loud for her liking, and I insist on toeing them inward and placing them a few inches in front of our entertainment center instead of flush.

--Steve

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
"They're big, I play them too loud for her liking, and I insist on toeing them inward and placing them a few inches in front of our entertainment center instead of flush."

...Of course that would also ring true for any other speaker you were to purchase...at least floorstanding.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The rosewood design looks cheap, not exotic. The color does not integrate with my interior design.
They are hard to audition
They are called Divas which reminds me of an anoying toy at toys r us.
They are priced high and there are rarely auctions or special deals. (If av123 has a sale it's for a looong time) Not much competition with resellers cause there are none :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The rosewood design looks cheap, not exotic. The color does not integrate with my interior design.
I think the Rosewood Veneer with Piano Black End Caps
looks very upscale and classy.
They are hard to audition
true
They are called Divas which reminds me of an anoying toy at toys r us.
A Diva is an opera singer if I am not mistaken? Or the
term has been used to describe any successfull actress or
female singer. I hardly think "Toys R Us" when I hear the
word Diva.
They are priced high and there are rarely auctions or special deals. (If av123 has a sale it's for a looong time) Not much competition with resellers cause there are none
Priced high for whom? I feel the pricing is spot on. In
fact I would venture to say they are priced low for the amount
of quality you recieve for your dollar.
And I don't even own nor do I have any plans to own any of
the Swans product line. I just call em as I see em.

Martice

Screenwriter
And I don't even own nor do I have any plans to own any of
Good points but lets give the poster what he wants and focus on the negatives in sound and call it as we hear it. :)
To the poster
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/s...forum=speakers
Good Luck
Oh, while you're there, do a search on GR Research Paradox or GR Research AV1. Very popular speakers with a very loyal following and they are supposed to sound superb and some even compare them to Dynaudio 1.3's and other $2-$3,000 speakers. The best part is the price. I'll fill you in personally once my completed pair of AV1+'s arrive.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Have you checked out Steve's website? http://www.audioenvy.com/
You might be able to find a pair in your area that you can listen to yourself. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical too. In fact, I thought I'd decided to go with Kef speakers again. Instead I went over there and brought my current set of Kefs with me to compare. Made a believer out of me.
I agree it's a costly experiment to send them back if you don't like them, and I think it's great that people that own them are willing to invite folks into their homes for auditions. They really do sound great IMO. Really sweet highs and great dynamics. I thought they sounded better than my Kefs... I guess I'll sell 'em... :frowning:
I decided after hearing them to take a chance on them. They should be arriving here tomorrow and I'll let you know what I think of them here. I'm not afraid to point out what I consider shortcomings of even very popular speakers (I'm an SVS owner too!) even if it makes me unpopular. :D

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like the Diva 2.1. They are great for the money $399 but I didn't think it competed with speakers in the $1000 range. I had a budget of about $1000 so when I got these I was unhappy because I knew I could do better (more detail and more air/presences/soundstage) with more money.

But the build quality competed with $2000 speakers. I am another that likes the finish. The Tweeter is a little plasticy and doesn't match well with the high gloss top.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like the Diva 2.1. They are great for the money $399 but I didn't think it competed with speakers in the $1000 range. I had a budget of about $1000 so when I got these I was unhappy because I knew I could do better (more detail and more air/presences/soundstage) with more money.
Show me a speaker that sounds as good for $1k and I'll eat my hat. :D
What's the point of this thread anyway? To seek out negative opinions. What's next? The "Does anyone not like SVS subwoofers thread?". Please. It's all just opinion anyway. The vast majority of folks think SVS and Divas are fantastic value for the money. What? Are you going to try and find fault to talk yourself out of taking the risk to try them? If so, maybe best to find a pair to listen to (they are out there) and not take the chance. It's a gamble anyway you look at it. But looking for negative comments doesn't accomplish anything as they can always be found. I wouldn't like it if it was aimed at Klipcsh or Paradigm or any other brand that people are wildly enthusiastic about. It's about one step up from "troll bait" as far as I'm concerned.

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of hat do you have? :)
Its just my person preference. But also realize that my preference is for two channel stereo not HT. I think they are excellent HT speakers. For two channel stereo, I liked the GR research paradox-1, Polk Audio RT25i (I have a personal thing for the trilam tweeter for some reason), NHT SB3 ... I also listen to a lot of female vocals with simple string and piano instruments and Jazz. Again all these speakers cost more than the Diva 2.1.
But also remember the 6.1 are supposed to be that much better. One of my biggest grips on the 2.1 is the muddled midrange area which apparently is not present with any of the other floorstanding speakers.

Martice

Screenwriter
I think the original poster may have meant to say that all he has heard about the Diva's is positive feedback. That's a good thing. However, you know and I know that some here would like a little more objective information about the items they are contemplating purchasing. I've never heard of a perfect piece of audio gear and to the poster (at least how I took it) is looking for a little more objective information before he actually decides to purchase the speakers or not. Regardless if he decides to purchase them doesn't change the fact that the Diva line is a high quality choice at unbelievable prices.

I'm guilty of giving a totally emotional review of my sub that I purchased and believe me, it could've been a little more revealing in terms of trade offs and any negatives that may concern the reader. I don't know how much that review may or maynot have helped anyone intrested in reading my rants but I have taken notice of that and if I happen to write another review of another product I buy, I will take note to be a little more objective and balanced when it comes to sharing information.

In short, regardless if anyone else likes the Diva line or not it all comes down to your ears as stated by Barry.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
m guilty of giving a totally emotional review of my sub that I purchased and believe me, it could've been a little more revealing in terms of trade offs and any negatives that may concern the reader. I don't know how much that review may or maynot have helped anyone intrested in reading my rants but I have taken notice of that and if I happen to write another review of another product I buy, I will take note to be a little more objective and balanced when it comes to sharing information.
Ah. Okay I hear ya. It's hard to be objective sometimes. I was very wary of saying anything slightly negative about my new SVS subwoofer... It's not perfect but it's close and I think I told the truth. I candy coated it as much as possible, but I told what I feel is the truth about it. I figure what's the point of reading these user reviews if they aren't going to tell you everything. Warts and all...
Some reviewers love everything. Their opinion doesn't mean crap to me. If somebody that paid their own hard earned money points out a negative then it means something. It's not easy to do, but again, why bother posting a review if it's not honest? It's one reason I read these types of boards :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If you guys like Divas, try listening to Swan Dul'cet speakers. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that though, because Soundscape in Santa Rosa CA is the only dealer I know of who carries them, and they were talking of dropping it. AFAIK, this line is a step up from the Swans. I heard the Dul'cet D3.1, a $1K bookshelf, and it was really sweet. I still think my Paradox 1 would be close, maybe even better. I haven't heard the Swan 2.1, but if it's noticably inferior to the Dul'cet, then I too would guess that the Paradox could be a better speaker than the Swan.

Again, this is comparing retail to DIY, which isn't fair.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
If you guys like Divas, try listening to Swan Dul'cet speakers. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that though, because Soundscape in Santa Rosa CA is the only dealer I know of who carries them, and they were talking of dropping it. AFAIK, this line is a step up from the Swans.
The Diva line sold here was voiced and engineered in America and are unlike the Dul`cet brand that is sold in China. I've seen the speakers you are talking about available at a couple of other places too, but from everything I've read they are different from their Dul`cet counterparts in terms of the combination of the drivers used, and the crossovers. They are considered a step DOWN from the American engineered Divas.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Ah. Never mind then. I got a different impression from talking to the salesman. And you're right, they were coming in directly from China, and they were thinking about dropping them because of communication/support problems.

That makes the Divas more interesting to me. Do you have any links comparing the Divas and the Dul'cets? I searched a lot back when I heard that speaker, but couldn't find anything that wasn't in Chinese.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
That makes the Divas more interesting to me. Do you have any links comparing the Divas and the Dul'cets? I searched a lot back when I heard that speaker, but couldn't find anything that wasn't in Chinese.
The best thing to do is drop one of the folks at av123.com an email. They can tell you everything there is to know about the whole company. The avsforums.com website also has alot of information on the Divas. You could also try doing a search on Dul`cet in that forum. I have a set of 6.1's coming in tomorrow and plan to do an extensive review of them once they have some time to break in... :)

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
My only neg:
Those black end caps attract dust like flies to crap. I'm a man, so naturally I don't dust except in an emergency :) , but look at me now...trusty 3M.6016 cloth in hand gently dusting those endcaps like every three days!
Regarding the D3.1 and D3.2, I believe AV123 is bringing in a small quantity of these as well as the huge F1's.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'd tried avsforums. I found one post talking about someone who had heard these speakers, so I got all excited, thinking I'd finally found someone else who I could ask.... the link led me to be a thread started by me on Audio Asylum. That was pretty ironic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks