Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Rules of the Game" on Turner Classic Movies!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 17 2002 - 01:35 PM

Jean Renoir's 1939 classic film will be on Turner Classic Movies this coming Saturday morning. Maybe, Renoir's best film.
  • "Rules of the Game" on TCM, April 20th @ 2:00 a.m. ET

Also, "Sunrise" will be on Fox Movie Channel this Friday at the following time.
  • "Sunrise" on FMC, April 19th @ 10:00 a.m. ET

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 10:48 PM

Woo-hoo! I've so been wanting to watch this. Going to go set the VCR now.

(BTW, for Rules of the Game, you have the date as May. You do mean April, right?)

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 18 2002 - 01:50 AM

Ike,
Thanks for the heads up.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 02:54 AM

BTW, The Rules of the Game is available on an excellent SE DVD with English subtitles in R2-France.

For more info, click here.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
BTW, The Rules of the Game is available on an excellent SE DVD with English subtitles in R2-France.

I have that DVD and it's excellent indeed.
The 40 minute documentary (actaully, it's more like an analysis) on the DVD also has Englsh subs, and even the menu is available in English.
The DVD is R2-3-4-5-6 coded BTW, so everyone but the Americans and Canadians can enjoy it.

Having said this, I must say I will upgrade when Criterion will eventually release this title, as the film clearly needs restauration - picture and sound.
E-Mail | Collection

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 03:02 AM

God Damn it to Hell!!! I lost power for about half an hour last night and it botched my recording of this Posted Image

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 20 2002 - 06:51 AM

i didnt get to watch this but maybe someone can tell us what it was about and why it's a good movie and recieved this heads up.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted April 21 2002 - 11:38 PM

Mr. Crawford thank you very much for the heads up on this film. I had never seen a film by Renoir, and I had always been intrigued by The Grand Illusion. I enjoyed The Rules of the Gamevery much and will be looking to add this one when Criterion releases it (I noticed the Janus films symbol at the beginning of the movie) - in the meantime I will be looking to add TGI to my collection.

Anytime you want to post a heads up please do. I am curious about classic films, and realize not all of them would suit my tastes - it's a great way to get an idea of their work.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 06:36 PM

i'd love to hear anyone talk about this movie. not just that it's a good movie.Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted April 23 2002 - 11:32 AM

Tony, you can find comments from the members in this thread: http://www.hometheat......&s challenge

~T

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted April 23 2002 - 04:45 PM

well that thread is about 15 pages long but this one seemed to be specific dealing with this movie. but i guess no one wants to offer up what this movie is about. i dont like relying on wwwimdb.com for opimions on movies.
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 24 2002 - 01:12 AM

Ack... I was out-of-town last weekend! Is it being replayed?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted April 24 2002 - 04:08 AM

Tony, you could press "Ctrl + F" and type in "Rules of the Game" to find it quickly on each page.

Rich, no.

~T

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 24 2002 - 05:30 AM

Damn. Serves me right for going vacationing in FLA.
"Only one is a wanderer;

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted April 24 2002 - 01:46 PM

so.. in a thread about a specific movie no one will offer any specific thoughts about the movie.
only wow what a great movie or i wish i could have seen that movie.

o well i tried. pretty pointless thread at this point since no one will talk about it and it was already on TCM.

I give.

Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted April 24 2002 - 11:04 PM

Tony, It was my first viewing of the film, and I normally don't like to give a synopsis based on one viewing but here goes. The film is set in pre-WWII France, a French aviator has just crossed the ocean and to his disappointment the woman he loves isn't there to greet him (who by the way is already married to a wealthy aristocrat). Through a mutual friend of theirs he finaggles his way into an invitation to a party at a chateau in the countryside at which he will have an opportunity to make advances on her. Her husband who is quite wealthy, is also quite a womanizer as we find out, and really neither of them are happy in the marriage, but because of society rules they stay in it. What happens over the weekend is really a comedy of errors, there are two 3-way love triangles going on - at different class levels and how they are handled by the parties involved I thought was an indictment on class in society. There are several other things that go on there as well, foreshadowing of war in Europe,and the Jews involvement in the war are eerily hinted at as well. As far as the final act goes you just have to see it yourself.

This film has been critically lauded as one of the greats by Jean Renoir. I'm sure my laymans description of this film doesn't do it justice, but like I said it was my first viewing. I have just a casual involvement with foreign films, but I found this one to be very accessible, and one that definitely could find hidden nuances in it every time you watch it. This is the first film I have seen by Jean Renoir, and I am ordering The Grand Illusion without hesitation. It is just a matter of time before Criterion releases The Rules of the Game - in which I will definitely snap this film up. I hope this helps - Regards, Jim.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 25 2002 - 01:35 AM

Jesus, Tony, we're not your personal film instructors. Try to lay off a bit on the resentment and derison and use your browser for something useful. A tiny bit of effort will yield a wealth of information - just Google, my friend! Posted Image

(As always, beware of spoilers.)

Go here (spoilers):
http://www.tvguide.c....e.asp?MI=18744

And here:
http://www.filethirt....rulesofthe.htm

And here:
http://www.film.u-ne.../Regle_jeu.html

...and that should be a good start.
"Only one is a wanderer;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users