Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What About The One??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 09:24 AM

I'm just surprised that no one on this board has even mentioned this movie. From the trailer it looks kinda like a Matrix rip/spinoff, but with a cooler concept IMO. Anything with parallel dimensions is good in my book. The special effects look awesome and the fight scenes that were in the trailer looked pretty intense. I hope there's a good plot attached to it because based on the concept and what little I've seen from the trailer I'm drooling all over this one. ------------------ "I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields "One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone "I don't drink much. Just when I'm with someone else, or by myself." - Some random geezer
In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If you are strong you live...and if you are weak you die. I am the one who deserves to live. - Shishio Makoto

What's really gonna make your noodle limp is when you realize that Thomas Anderson is an anagram for "No Modern Asshat".
Deep... -...

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 10:42 AM

This is about the only movie besides Training Day I've really been looking forward to. The TV spots I've been seeing look great. I have high hopes for this one for the following reasons:

1. The screenwriters/director (Glen Morgan and James Wong) for this movie were responsible for some of my favorite X-Files episodes.

2. I like the bad guy role Jet Li played in Lethal Weapon 4 and I look forward to seeing him playing both the villain/hero role here.

3. I want to see the various martial art styles Jet Li demonstrates for both his characters.

4. I just love sci-fi in general and I like the concept of the whole plot.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.../AJtheatercover
The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person. - Frank Barron

Creativity

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 11:39 AM

Jet Li is quickly becoming the Jackie Chan for this generation. Same film, same stunts, same everything except for the title. He is doing what Chan did when he gained notoriety...he is overloading the market. Seems like he has a new film every 3 months. Seeing his work say once, maybe twice a year is fine. But, seeing him in the same one-dimensional role time after time gets boring.

Bruce

------------------
Posted Image
Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love
The Mads are calling

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 11:58 AM

[quote]

Jet Li is quickly becoming the Jackie Chan for this generation. Same film, same stunts, same everything except for the title.

[quote]

ummmmm Bruce...you realize this is Jet Li's 1st attempt ever at a sci-fi film right? And you do realize Jackie Chan has never made a sci-fi film right? Your statement is a little confusing.

------------------

[Edited last by AJ Johnson on October 19, 2001 at 02:58 PM]
The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person. - Frank Barron

Creativity

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:11 PM

The role was originally intended for wrestling's The Rock. When he went off to do SCORPIAN KING, they got Jet Li.
Jet Li is great and I can't wait to see him in this.

Matt

------------------
Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
loveandbullets.com
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:42 PM

Any movie with Carla Gugino is worth seeing in my book! Posted Image
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Bruce_S

Bruce_S

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 12:52 PM

I'm looking forward to see Jet Li to kick ass. After watching Kiss of the Dragon, Jet Li can't be compared to Jackie Chan. Two difference styles of movies and fighting styles. It's like comparing apples and oranges -- so it'll be interesting next year when "Revolution Studios" comes out with them in a film together. cheers, bruce

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 01:26 PM

AJ,

Let me try to clear up my thinking here. Jackie Chan didn't so much make new movies as he did transpose his martial arts and stuntwork into every film he did. While Jet Li might not have worked in the Sci-fi arena as of yet, he is pushing his martial arts into the film. That, to me, makes The One not much different than Romeo Must Die or Black Mask, etc. The storylines change, the elements change, but they are all wrapped around his displays of martial arts. As I said, I find that boring after awhile. If Jet Li would show he has more than M.A.'s up his sleeve, I might find his films of more interest to watch.

Bruce

------------------
Posted Image
Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love
The Mads are calling

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 01:36 PM

My problem with the American Jet Li movies is that he doesn't get to showcase his martial arts. Whether it's bad framing, digital technology, or just lack of good choreography, they all make Li's skills seem unimpressive. That's quite sad to me, and The One doesn't seem like the one do break this streak.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 02:00 PM

I see what you're saying Bruce but Jet Li is a martial artist first, actor second in my opinion. He didn't even study acting growing up..he's in the film business because of his martial arts. He incorporates his martial arts in his movies because that's what makes him special, that's what his fans want to see, and that's what sells. I doubt anyone cares if he has anything else up his sleeve. There are already a dime-a-dozen actors out there, let them handle the acting stuff.

I mean asking why Jet Li always has to have martial arts in his films is like asking why Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts always have to play the good natured people in their films instead of playing someone bad for a change.

------------------

Creativity

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,285 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 19 2001 - 02:01 PM

Any word on how violent / gruesome "The One" will be? I went to see Black Mask at the second-run $2 theater, and left halfway through. I couldn't take the incessant, senseless, gruesome violence. Since then, I've avoided Jet Li movies, fearful of a repeat. Are any of his movies better than Black Mask?

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:26 PM

Check out Fist of Legend for starters and then you can go from there. As for The One, I can't wait for this movie to come out. Call me simple or whatever but I love the Matrixesque special effects, especially when they are used in new imaginative ways in live action flicks. Reminds me of anime. ------------------ "I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields "One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone "I don't drink much. Just when I'm with other people, or by myself." - Some random geezer
In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If you are strong you live...and if you are weak you die. I am the one who deserves to live. - Shishio Makoto

What's really gonna make your noodle limp is when you realize that Thomas Anderson is an anagram for "No Modern Asshat".
Deep... -...

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,285 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:32 PM

"Check out 'Fist of Legend'"
Thanks.

The previews for The One look interesting; I just don't want a repeat of my first Jet Li experience Posted Image

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 05:57 PM

DaveF...The One is PG-13 and definitely check out Fist of Legend. You already know to stay away from Black Mask. Kiss of the Dragon is less violent than Black Mask but I'm not sure if you could handle that one either, it's definitely not for kids.

------------------

[Edited last by AJ Johnson on October 19, 2001 at 08:59 PM]

Creativity

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 09:25 PM

When does it come out. BTW, better not let the admins see that hefty sig pic.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   MitchSN

MitchSN

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 09:53 PM

I don't know about The One. Twin movies NEVER work. How's he supposed to have a good looking fight with himself? Video editing? stunt doubles? I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I'll still give it a shot. I won't hold my breath. In my opinion, if you want to see the best martial arts action these actors have to give, see their stuff from Hong Kong. Nothing they put out here in America will ever come close to the stuff they put out there. Here are some of Jet Li's best movies: Once Upon a Time in China 1-2 Swordsman II Fist of Legend

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 2,006 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 10:38 PM

Jet Li is cool but I'm skeptical about the film. The title makes it sound like an unauthorized sequel to The Matrix. Stealing an idea is ok if done well but stealing the title too isn't good. This is no different than calling some random action flick "The Force" ......

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 12:43 AM

Jet Li is fun to watch, and he doesn't need all of the gimmicks and visual effects. Roger Ebert once wrote (in an Answer Man column?) that he fears the new era of CGI special effects will devalue the incredible physical skills of people like Jackie Chan and Jet Li. I wonder if there isn't something to that. The visual effect of this movie look horrid. The scene where he hammers someone with a motorcycle and another where he drop kicks someone out of the frame are laughable. I guess one can only hope they weren't trying for any semblence of realism in those shots, because they looked about as convincing as a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I'll definitely wait for the reviews. ------------------ http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...9, 8 7 to go!

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,285 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.

But the following made me laugh.
[quote]

Kiss of the Dragon is less violent than Black Mask but I'm not sure if you could handle that one either, it's definitely not for kids

[quote]

I'm 30; I saw Black Mask just a couple years ago. Posted Image That movie just crossed my threshold for gratuitous (and gross) violence.

But The One looks like it could be fun; and the motorcyle/hammer scene piqued my interest.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 09:00 PM

No offense to the guy, he's a great martial artist, but has anyone seen Jet Li in an interview? He can barely make his way through a conversation in english, so he is definitely a martial artist first and actor dead last in my book. If he were to star in an english movie that required only dialogue and no martial arts, there's no way I'd even consider seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users