-

Photo

Suggestions for Chat (To Ron)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted April 16 2002 - 03:26 PM

We have heard about the first meetings where the DVD Forum talks about a new Blu-Ray HD-DVD format.

Well, all the sites say it's in development, and i don´t know if it's possible, but a chat with them will be awesome, and i´m certainly sure that HTF has a lot of members and ideas that will be useful to the DVD Forum and the HD-DVD specs.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 16 2002 - 09:15 PM

If someone could send me contact information
this may be considered.

The only problem is that we have sort of
stopped our LIVE CHATS due to IRC security issues.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   GregBarron

GregBarron

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 01:47 AM

Ron, do you have a studio lined up for another online chat?
If so, who and when? Thanks.
Greg

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 05:38 AM

No on-line chats for now.

There are many reasons why we have
decided to stop these chats. I'd hate
to have to type the reasons yet another
time, so let's see how far I get....

* The IRC is unsecure. We cannot fully
keep troublemakers out.

* Because of the way the IRC works, members
were bothering guests by "whispering" to
them when we asked them not to do so.

* No matter how many times we would tell
people that the "YO" procedure and the way
we pick the finalists to ask questions
varies from computer to computer, our membership
was getting very rude often accusing us of
not recognizing their "YO"s or going out of
turn.

* Members calling out questions outside of
turns.

* Members bothering Parker and I with private
messages while we are trying to Moderate the chat.

* The day after the chat, posts showing up
that attack the studios for not beding more
revealing in what they said, despite the fact
they kindly gave up their valuable time to
attend the chat.

In general, just a total amount of rudeness
from individuals who just wander in the chat
room and disrespect a uniformed procedure we
have set up for the chat.

We have studio people who take risks in
attending these chats. To have members
whispering to them, being rude, and just
disrupting the entire procedure has gotten
to the point that we don't feel comfortable
doing these chats.

We have looked into chat software that would
allow us more control, but on top of it being
very expensive software, it also has the
potential of putting tremendous strain on
our server.

Look, this is the wild and free internet.
You expect that you surf amongst immature
people that have nothing better than to disrupt
something we worked very hard to put together.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 06:19 AM

Ron,

Maybe you could set up a pre-locked thread and e-mail our questions to you, Parker, or the other Mods. You could then relay this info to the chat guest and they could reply via e-mail and it could be posted in that thread.

It sounds like a royal pain, I know, but I really do enjoy the chats.

Or....
We could submit questions to you and you could present them to the guest "interview style" You could then post the replies in a thread.

I'm trying... Posted Image

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 06:52 AM

Jasen.

I know you are trying and I appreciate it.

Submitting questions and doing interviews
is what all the other sites do. LIVE CHATS
is what we did best.

Right now this whole indudtry is so
turned upside down with studios releasing
P&S titles that it will become very difficult
to get anyone aboard for a chat who doesn't
want to avoid getting lynched.

Ronald J Epstein

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 04:10 PM

Perhaps the chat could be held in some "secret" IRC channel, and only trusted HTF members are told where, minutes before the chat begins?
"The feel of the experience is the important thing, not the ability to verbalize it." -Stanley Kubrick

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 01:09 AM

Or perhaps two chat rooms could be used. One for members, in which yo's and questions are asked, another room for visitors. The moderator would have to copy and paste questions into the visitor's room, then copy and paste answers into the member room.

I understand it would be more overhead still involved with chats, and come to think of it, the visitors login names may not be possible to keep secret, unless it is possible to keep the "online list" hidden for a room? (I'm not really knowledgeable about IRC, so I'm guessing here) so messages directly to studio visitors may not be possible to avoid anyway...

But at least it would keep the room for the visitors clean, and it would enable the moderators to revies questions somewhat for rudeness, also I imagine a chat transcript may be easier to create based on the comments in the visitors room.

It won't make the job easier I guess, but maybe it will protect studio visitors better?
My DVD list

#9 of 22 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,508 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 19 2002 - 12:24 PM

Quote:
only trusted HTF members are told ...
A good idea on the surface, but what defines a "trusted HTF member"? I can just imagine all the crap Ron & Parker would take from folks that were excluded.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 06:19 PM

All of this refers to vanilla IRC:
The only way to stop people badgering the guest is for people not to know the nick of the Guest. However it is possible for the Guest to ignore incoming queries (automatically I mean), the minus side of that is that Ron/Parker would be ignored also. The other way to do with would be to make a secret chat room (invite only or key required) for the guest and Ron/Parker, then run #HTF like normal and then Ron/Parker could cut & paste the questions to the guest and then cut & paste the answers back to the audience, making sure not to include the guests secret nick: It is entirely possible to do without the audience knowing it is being done! You could merely start another session of mIRC (or client of your choice) login using a variation on the guests name, op or voice it like it was the guest and simply paste the answers to queries through that mirc session. A bit of work but doable. Or your guest could turn off private messages (so people can't whisper to them) and then use a secret channel to converse with Ron & Parker (if required).

You can't really do what you want to do, with the flick of a switch, with vanilla flavoured irc. what you really need is different software that has more control built into it, this would probably require running a server for it.

I have been looking at some various options, but so far all the ones I have found require money :/ ... but I'll keep looking.

if other people want to look around, here is a couple of google searches to get you started.

http://www.google.co....en&sa=N&tab=dw

http://directory.goo....ers/Chat/?tc=1

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 06:52 PM

let me summarize that waffle a little.

you can use IRC with the guests assistance.

or resort to some other chat software if the channel operators want/need to do everything themselves.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 01:07 AM

As far as the cost of the chat software goes, Ron: is there any money left over from all the server donations?

As far as the strain it would put on the server: can you be specific? Is it a problem we can solve by throwing more money at the situation, for upgrades that would relieve the strain?

I'm sure there are some HTF members who would pay for the chats to live on. I'd certainly consider it.

As to the rudeness to the guests, that's something that can't be helped with dollars. Sigh. I guess this is a "you takes your chances" sort of thing, and if they have nothing to "defend", then they ought to be all right. Otherwise, they get free feedback/marketing info that they can use, so they ought to be open to even rude, negative comments. They might just have to develop thicker skins. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 09:02 AM

David,

I'll let Parker answer that question.

He can tell you what he told me and it
will sound better coming from the software
expert.

I'll see to it he replies here.

Ronald J Epstein

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,097 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 20 2002 - 11:35 AM

David:

All the chat software that I have looked at so far does not allow you to use mIRC with it. It is all server side using javascript on the web page.

What I am looking for is something similar to what we have but also allows you to moderate the chat in the sense of being able to keep people from whispering to our guest and yet for Ron and I and our guest to still be able to send private messages to each other. I want to also be able to access the chat with mIRC/Pirch as well as the web side.

So far I haven't been able to find such a program.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 08:25 PM

in Mirc
File>Options>General>Lock>Disable>Private Chats

ticking that stops any private messages sent to you from getting through, you don't see anything when people try to 'whisper' to you.

your never really going to be able to do anything about rude people, or lag, both are built into the internet Posted Image

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 08:55 PM

Nigel,

That's a good idea, but what about our
guests, most of whom do not use MIRC to
access our chats?

Our guests access via webside and there is
no protection on that end, either.

Ronald J Epstein

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,097 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 21 2002 - 04:55 AM

All the javascript programs that I have seen allow you to moderate the chat but like I said they are only available web side and not through mIRC.

So we either have a moderated javascript chat that is inaccessible through an IRC channel or we allow access from both of them and not being able to moderate them as we want.

That is the dilemma that I have run into.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted April 21 2002 - 07:22 AM

I believe this has already been suggested, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

What if Ron and Parker communicate with the speaker using an entirely different piece of software, copying and pasting questions and responses from one program to another? For example, Ron, Parker, and company could stay in a standard IRC chat room with the regular users and conduct business in the usual "YO" fashion. When a question is received, it can be copied and pasted into, say, an AOL Instant Messenger window and sent to the speaker on the other end. If the speaker doesn't have AOL Instant Messenger, he or she could always use AIM Express. Then, when a response is received, that could be pasted by Ron/Parker into the IRC chat room. Wash, rinse, repeat. Posted Image

Would that work to your satisfaction? I'd really like to see the return of live chats, even if they were handled in an off-line fashion. Though other sites have discussions with studios on occasion, none that I've seen even come close to the overall depth and quality of the HTF chats...

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted April 21 2002 - 08:52 AM

Adam,

That's a hell of a lot of work for us.

It is something that we will consider
though if we can't get suitable chat software.

Thanks for the suggestion

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 12:44 AM

ah well, I guess it never occured to me in all of that, that the guest wouldn't be using mirc(or some other normal IRC client) because the other problem with the current java setup you have (or at least last time I used it) was that you were only able to be in one chatroom at a time.