Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Friends: The Complete First Season (with screenshots)

DVD Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,456 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 18 2002 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
They are not the broadcast cut but extended cuts.
True. In addition, the syndicated broadcasts always are cut down from the original network broadcasts (to make room for more commercials). So the DVDs are the only way to see the early episodes with ALL the original footage.

This set is a no-brainer for this "Friends" fan. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#22 of 37 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 01 2002 - 09:26 AM

I prefer these "extended cuts" over the sydicated or even original broadcast cuts. We get more character development and the jokes never feel flat to me.

I also want to correct what Ron said abot their being no "Play All" feature.

If you click on "Play" on the initial menu rather than going to the "Episodes" the DVD will play all the episodes on that disc in order (at least my Toshiba did).

#23 of 37 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 01 2002 - 09:40 AM

How is the commentary?

#24 of 37 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 01 2002 - 09:47 AM

The commentary is OK as are the extras, but nothing stupendous.

#25 of 37 Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 12:43 AM

FYI....there is a "Play All" function.

Just select 'Play' from the main menu, rather than the episode menu, and all the episodes on the disc will play in order!
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#26 of 37 Kurt N

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 03:18 AM

Is everyone else as pleased with this set as I am? Granted, the packaging could be better, but it beats All in the Family and Larry Sanders. I love this set. Bring on Season 2!
War doesn't determine who is right. War determines who is left.

my DVDs

#27 of 37 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,553 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 04:35 AM

Yup, am happy with it. Decent price point, good picture and sound. Excellent show. Posted Image

#28 of 37 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 12:27 AM

So, no one knows when season 2 is coming? I bet they will put the bloopers on one of the season sets! They talked about it on the commentary track! (not about putting them on DVD!)

#29 of 37 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 09:36 AM

DVD File announced that Season 2 will come out on September 9.

#30 of 37 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 01:36 PM

Nope, it's 9/3 at SRP of $69.98. Just added to TVShowsOnDVD, that is ALL the info available so far. No art or nuthin'! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#31 of 37 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 17 2002 - 01:15 AM

I'm very pleased with the speed at which these seem to be arriving. 3 per year is a great number. Thanks WB! Keep up the good work!
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#32 of 37 Shaun

Shaun

Second Unit

• 317 posts

Posted May 17 2002 - 02:17 AM

I keep having problems with disc 4 of the set. The disc completely freezes up on the "The one with the ick factor" episode. Gonna try to exchange it see what happens.
Shawn Siref
---------------------------------------------------
Equipment:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-73733 73-Inch Widescreen HDTV
Receiver: Denon AVR-2805 DD-EX/DTS-ES 7.1DVD Player: Denon DVD-2200HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A35Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD55Speakers: Klipsch Reference SeriesSubwoofe...

#33 of 37 David Akers

David Akers

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 17 2002 - 10:41 AM

I'm having a problem with disc 1. The first chapter of the pilot has cut out the front speakers. All I hear is the surrounds with the laugh track. I'm gonna take it back tonight, but it's sounding like they had some productions problems between missing discs, missing soundtracks, etc.

-David
htf@davidakers.com
My Homepage

#34 of 37 Debbie E

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 02:03 PM

Before this DVD I had never seen friends and decided to go for it. I love it! My mom was surprised I had never seen an ep before this. We got through the whole first season. I wanted to beat Ross up! What was he thinking!! He is going to ruin everything! Posted Image

I had never imagined how good it would be. This show rules. I can't wait until July 1st when Season 2 arrives (it's on hold from a 10-disc free-shipping order at North American DVD and Season 3 is on my shelf). I AM going to watch this in order Posted Image

#35 of 37 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 06:17 PM

Quote:
Can I assume from this that if I remove my rear speakers from the equation that all I will be losing is the laugh track? I really wished they had released a version of Friends sans-laugh track, but isolating it might have the same effect. Will anything else be lost?

The laugh track isn't just in the rears, nor is it the only think there. The One With the Ick Factor has some directional effects. The laughs are int he front as well, so turning the rears off won't make that much difference.

Did anyone else notice severe pixellation on the reds in these disks?
My Collection

#36 of 37 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 10:41 PM

Quote:
We got through the whole first season. I wanted to beat Ross up! What was he thinking!! He is going to ruin everything! Posted Image

Sista, you don't know the half of it.

I just got through the episodes I'm referring to in Season 3. I forgot how strong that one episode was (The One The Morning After). Wow. And the commentary track on it is simply amazing about how difficult it was to make that show in the correct way. Well done, and a reminder of how incredible this series has been since Day 1.

Debbie, do NOT rush ahead to that ep! Posted Image Take it all in order and you will be well-rewarded for your patience.

Also, avoid the show on TV, if possible, since shows in later seasons are CONSTANTLY referring back to what you are discovering right now. This is best watched spoiler-free!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#37 of 37 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 11:42 AM

Friends: The Complete First Season, IMO, is an excellent TV show on DVD product. I purchased this set used thru Amazon.com Marketplace in October 2002. I watched the entire first disc last year & I finally watched discs 2,3,4 last week. I has been years since I have seen the older Friends episodes. I vaguely remember seeing the episodes on TV when the episodes were first shown but it has been so lomg that I can't remember. All in All, a excellent TV show with a very good release & very good picture quality/ audio quality for a TV show.

BTW: I ordered Friends: Season last week & it arrived about 5 days ago. I watched the first disc of Season 2 & I will watch the rest of Season 2 this weekend.

Forum Nav Content I Follow