What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (3 Viewers)

Heinz W

Second Unit
According to www.dvdfile.com the new SE of Blade Runner has been indefinitely delayed until at least 2003 due to "pesky legal clearances". Sigh.
Looks like I may have to get the current DVD since it looks like the SE will be on Blu-Ray or whatever the next format will be, and it appears that it will be out before BR SE! :angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That satirical "report," unfortunately, is probably close to the truth.

Whatever. I'll clutch onto my copy of this early DVD transfer, complete with its built-in ambiguity (I prefer to think of Deckard as a human being who has learned from his Replicant prey about what it truly means to be human
.)

Whatever. This one's getting tiring.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree with Jack (on more than one count).
What is up with the delay cycle for Scott's post Alien sci-fi work? Sure BR was released on DVD quite some time ago (I have it & like the disc just fine for a barebones DVD) but we have been hearing about this SE & Legend SE for two, maybe three years now......WAAAA! I WANT MY CANDY AND I WANT IT NOW! ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Too bad about this news. I would like to see if they could improve the video quality on this film.
I stll cannot figure why people think Deckard is a replicant. This movie loses its entire point if Deckard is a replicant.
At least IMO. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If the end result is what I want - a complete anthology of all versions - then I'll wait (like I have a choice). Considering Legend has been MIA for eons (including the phantom LD special edition that never materialised), waiting for definitive versions of Ridley Scott films is becoming a career. :)
I'd rather wait for the be all, end all version than be thrown a half hearted version now.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well I never saw the original but...

If you ask me, in the director's cut, the oragami unicorn was the detective basically saying to Deckard, "See, I know you dream of unicorns." Therefore, Deckard is a replicant.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If the end result is what I want - a complete anthology of all versions - then I'll wait
------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to see another version:
The "director's cut" version minus the Unicorn scene. The Unicorn scene is completely useless and adds nothing to the film. It is just a badly thought out red herring.
Again, IMO.
Come on Scott,put out this version too.....then it really will be definitive. ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the unicorn dream and unicorn origami both suggest what we don't like.

At any rate, this film still remains beautiful to look at--if we tune out the noise of Scott's post-release second thoughts.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
How can something be "delayed" if it never had an official release date? At any rate...
-- began long ago, when the film was still in production. It was definitely not a "post-release second thought." The unicorn dream sequence was shot back in 1982, before the film's release (and was absolutely NOT an outtake from "Legend" as some have erroneously declared.) It was part of Ridley's plan from very early on, but the money men demanded it be removed for the compromised 1982 theatrical release.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the unicorn dream and unicorn origami both suggest what we don't like.

------------------------------------------------------------

Only in conjunction with each other. When I saw the theatrical cut of the film, oh so many moons ago, I did not infer anything from the origami unicorns other than that they were markers similar to Kilgore's deck of cards from Apocalypse Now.

It blows me away that a director could, seemingly, lose the entire point of his own movie; regardless, it is still a visually stunning piece of work.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As Charlie correctly stated, Ridley Scott dallied with the "other" interpretation of Rick Deckard from the film's, ahem, inception. Any ambiguity in the film is, at least partially, due to the constraints that were forced upon the original production.
Pick your interpretation and go with it. Either scenario offers up interesting possibilities and ( as others have noted ) neither one diminishes the world building aspects of Scott's wonderfully realized future.
Personally, I find Scott's interpretation to be more challenging as it effectively removes humans from the equation. Which enabled me to appreciate the film's themes moreso from the position of an isolated observer. Emotional distance isn't always a bad thing.
Regardless of where you might stand on the issue, both versions still deviate from Dick's original themes ( If I recall correctly ) explored in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
- Walter.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I am not going to get into this tired discussion again (and it is off topic anyway) so let me say to Heinz W, get the current version if only to have the directors cut before the director messes with...wi...um...
..it can be had for cheap?

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie,

Can you shed some light as to when this will be released. I know you have been working on this Special Edition and can you tell us what the delay really is. (I know, how can it be delayed if it does not have an official release date : ) ). Any new info would be appreciated.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Since my directors cut LD is dying (rot it appears) I was in the market for the DVD but holding off on getting current DVD with the SE around the corner.

Looks like my waiting period is going to have to end....arghhh.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mark EJ makes some good points in his spoiler-covered statements. Compare Blade Runner to the 2nd-Season TNG episode "The Measure Of A Man", and see if the themes aren't similar!
:D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
How can something be "delayed" if it never had an official release date?
I see your point. But, I believe the "behind the door" talk had this release coming out this year. I just wonder why it is taking so long. I'm sure it will be done right, however.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Is it really bogged down in legal concerns, or did a Black Hawk simply crash land on it? I feared BR wouldn't make it this year when I heard the SE of Black Hawk Down wouldn't be ready until later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks