Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2828 replies to this topic

#1 of 2829 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted April 14 2002 - 10:58 PM

According to www.dvdfile.com the new SE of Blade Runner has been indefinitely delayed until at least 2003 due to "pesky legal clearances". Sigh.

Looks like I may have to get the current DVD since it looks like the SE will be on Blu-Ray or whatever the next format will be, and it appears that it will be out before BR SE! Posted Image

#2 of 2829 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 15 2002 - 03:45 AM

That's a shame, because I've really been looking forward to this:

Quote:
RIDLEY SCOTT SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Ridley Scott has decided to put the whole Bladerunner affair to rest with the release of a extra special DVD edition of the cult classic. "In this final cut of the movie all ambiguity will be stripped naked and whipped within an inch of its sorry multi-layered life," promises Ridley with a decidedly un-ironic use of a big fat cigar.

The fact that the re-re-release is a surefire way to squeeze more royalty checks out of the smouldering remains of an aging movie is "entirely coincidental," explains the once-cool movie director. "It's primarily designed to stop that jerk from Iowa from ever e-mailing me about it again."

Bladerunner: The Third Time Lucky Special "Moron" Edition, promises a cornucopia of extra features, including Ridley Scott repeating the words
"He's a f**kin' replicant, you f**king moron"
over and over again in an exclusive 2-hour audio commentary, and a "follow the plot, you idiot" interactive feature will shed further light on the central enigma of this film. Click here for some exclusive screenshots.

(Excerpt from Tachyon TV, the best SF satire site on the 'web. Posted Image)

#3 of 2829 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 04:35 AM

That satirical "report," unfortunately, is probably close to the truth.

Whatever. I'll clutch onto my copy of this early DVD transfer, complete with its built-in ambiguity (I prefer to think of
Deckard as a human being who has learned from his Replicant prey about what it truly means to be human
.)

Whatever. This one's getting tiring.

#4 of 2829 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 04:40 AM

I agree with Jack (on more than one count).

What is up with the delay cycle for Scott's post Alien sci-fi work? Sure BR was released on DVD quite some time ago (I have it & like the disc just fine for a barebones DVD) but we have been hearing about this SE & Legend SE for two, maybe three years now......WAAAA! I WANT MY CANDY AND I WANT IT NOW! Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 2829 ONLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 04:49 AM

Too bad about this news. I would like to see if they could improve the video quality on this film.

I stll cannot figure why people think Deckard is a replicant. This movie loses its entire point if Deckard is a replicant.
At least IMO. Posted Image
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 2829 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 04:51 AM

If the end result is what I want - a complete anthology of all versions - then I'll wait (like I have a choice). Considering Legend has been MIA for eons (including the phantom LD special edition that never materialised), waiting for definitive versions of Ridley Scott films is becoming a career. Posted Image

I'd rather wait for the be all, end all version than be thrown a half hearted version now.

#7 of 2829 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 05:02 AM

Well I never saw the original but...

If you ask me, in the director's cut, the oragami unicorn was the detective basically saying to Deckard, "See, I know you dream of unicorns." Therefore, Deckard is a replicant.

#8 of 2829 ONLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 05:08 AM

If the end result is what I want - a complete anthology of all versions - then I'll wait
------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see another version:

The "director's cut" version minus the
Unicorn scene. The Unicorn scene is completely useless and adds nothing to the film. It is just a badly thought out red herring.
Again, IMO.

Come on Scott,put out this version too.....then it really will be definitive. Posted Image
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 2829 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 05:49 AM

Unfortunately, the unicorn dream and unicorn origami both suggest what we don't like.

At any rate, this film still remains beautiful to look at--if we tune out the noise of Scott's post-release second thoughts.

#10 of 2829 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 06:12 AM

How can something be "delayed" if it never had an official release date? At any rate...
Quote:
Unfortunately, the unicorn dream and unicorn origami both suggest what we don't like.
"We?" Most "Blade Runner" purists I know prefer what the unicorn dream suggests. And ultimately, it was and always will be open to interpretation. It's never clearly spelled out, nor will it ever be.
Quote:
At any rate, this film still remains beautiful to look at--if we tune out the noise of Scott's post-release second thoughts.
Paul Sammon's definitive "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner" clearly establishes that the debate in question --
Is Deckard a replicant?
-- began long ago, when the film was still in production. It was definitely not a "post-release second thought." The unicorn dream sequence was shot back in 1982, before the film's release (and was absolutely NOT an outtake from "Legend" as some have erroneously declared.) It was part of Ridley's plan from very early on, but the money men demanded it be removed for the compromised 1982 theatrical release.

#11 of 2829 ONLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 06:37 AM

------------------------------------------------------------

Only in conjunction with each other. When I saw the theatrical cut of the film, oh so many moons ago, I did not infer anything from the origami unicorns other than that they were markers similar to Kilgore's deck of cards from Apocalypse Now.

It blows me away that a director could, seemingly, lose the entire point of his own movie; regardless, it is still a visually stunning piece of work.

#12 of 2829 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 07:51 AM

As Charlie correctly stated, Ridley Scott dallied with the "other" interpretation of Rick Deckard from the film's, ahem, inception. Any ambiguity in the film is, at least partially, due to the constraints that were forced upon the original production.

Pick your interpretation and go with it. Either scenario offers up interesting possibilities and ( as others have noted ) neither one diminishes the world building aspects of Scott's wonderfully realized future.

Personally, I find Scott's interpretation to be more challenging
as it effectively removes humans from the equation. Which enabled me to appreciate the film's themes moreso from the position of an isolated observer. Emotional distance isn't always a bad thing.
Regardless of where you might stand on the issue, both versions still deviate from Dick's original themes ( If I recall correctly ) explored in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#13 of 2829 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 08:13 AM

I am not going to get into this tired discussion again (and it is off topic anyway) so let me say to Heinz W, get the current version if only to have the directors cut before the director messes with...wi...um...

..it can be had for cheap?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#14 of 2829 OFFLINE   Randy Torres

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 08:20 AM

Charlie,

Can you shed some light as to when this will be released. I know you have been working on this Special Edition and can you tell us what the delay really is. (I know, how can it be delayed if it does not have an official release date : ) ). Any new info would be appreciated.

#15 of 2829 OFFLINE   Mark E J

Mark E J

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
It blows me away that a director could, seemingly, lose the entire point of his own movie;

Well I have to disagree with that statement.

I think that the whole Deckard is a Replicant storyline WAS the point of the movie.

Instead of the irony of a Human gaining humanity from something less than human I've always felt the film was about reconizing that the Replicants WERE human. They were not androids or robots like A.I. but geneticly created HUMAN LIFE. Just because the life originated from a lab instead of a womb doesn't make any a less Human life, and therefore intitled to basic human rights including self defense. To me the whole movie was a metaphore for racism.

What racism has alway been is the illusion that a specific group of people are to some degree less than human and not intitled to the same rights as others. This is the deal with the Replicants. They are considered artificial and undeserving of any human rights, they are simply property to be bought and sold. Just like how Africans were considered as animals 200 years ago. And just like the Africans it is perfectly legal to murder or "retire" Replicants if they try to asume the rights of "humans".

Consider the scene between Deckard and Rachael at Tyrell's office. She asks him if he has ever retired a Human by mistake. He replies no. The biting irony to this scene is that they both still look at Replicants as something seperate from themselves when in reality they are calmly talking about killing themselves. This is the brilliance of the film. You start out viewing Batty and his gang from the POV of society, but end the film viewing society from the POV of the Replicants. This is why Deckard being a Replicant is the ultimate point of the film. He IS a Replicant but still completely Human.

"You've done a "mans" job sir. To bad she won't live. But then again who does?"

#16 of 2829 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 11:36 AM

Since my directors cut LD is dying (rot it appears) I was in the market for the DVD but holding off on getting current DVD with the SE around the corner.

Looks like my waiting period is going to have to end....arghhh.

#17 of 2829 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 11:55 AM

Mark EJ makes some good points in his spoiler-covered statements.
Compare Blade Runner to the 2nd-Season TNG episode "The Measure Of A Man", and see if the themes aren't similar!

Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#18 of 2829 OFFLINE   Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 12:35 PM

Arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#19 of 2829 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
How can something be "delayed" if it never had an official release date?

I see your point. But, I believe the "behind the door" talk had this release coming out this year. I just wonder why it is taking so long. I'm sure it will be done right, however.

#20 of 2829 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 15 2002 - 02:56 PM

Is it really bogged down in legal concerns, or did a Black Hawk simply crash land on it? I feared BR wouldn't make it this year when I heard the SE of Black Hawk Down wouldn't be ready until later.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow