What's new

SVS in CANADA? (1 Viewer)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering what kind of sub I should get. All I hear is SVS this and SVS that, but is it really that good of a deal if you live in Canada? After I get it shipped and pay all the fees and taxes. The price is a lot more than what it started out as. Because of this, is there somethin that would be a better deal?

hmmmm, thanks for any input.

blair

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Here in Canada, we get a great deal on Paradigm gear, if that at all interests you.

I don't want to sound like (or be accused of) being a "Paradigm Pusher" so I will leave you with the note that I ended up with a Paradigm PW-2200 for $770 CAD taxes in and love it, for the price range.

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
I did look at the PW-2200 today and I liked it. That is one of the reasons I was asking this question. the paradigm also seems like a steal.

thanks

anyone else?

Cam S

Screenwriter
The PW2200 is one of the cheaper subs that sounds great for the money. Paradigm is way cheaper for us Canadians, than it is for the US guys. I would say go for the PW2200 if that's what you intend on paying, otherwise plurge and get an SVS, cuz I know you won't regret that!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I would spring for the Servo 15. It's in a different league than the PW2200. Depends on your needs and budget.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Or CHT-15 from Velo. $999

Cheaper than the Servo-15 and damn close to it in performance. The servo is nice though.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The PW2200 is worth serious consideration for Canadians as the others have already mentioned.

Another option you may be able to consider is DIY. You can built a sub that will outperform a PW2200 and match or slightly exceed the performance of a SVS 20-39PCi for $500-$550 CDN.

If you have some tools (skill saw, router and drill are the minium) and this interests you, head to the DIY section, do a little research and go from there.

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
Blair,

One other sub you may want to look at is the Mirage BPS400 right now on sale at Audio Ark for $999. It is a very good sub with dual(bipolar) 12" drivers. It is regular 1600.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I second the Mirage BPS-400. I have one myself and its great. If you can get a listen to an SVS subwoofer, don't pass it up either. I heard a pair of 20-39 and they were great. Its personal preference. Go listen if you can. I like my Mirage but thats not to say I might not like an SVS if I spent some time with one in my setup. Listen and compare if possible.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi.

I just ordered a 2039cs on wedsnday. I havent recieved the bill yet but I estimated the price to be around $1057 Canadian (including cables). I will let you guys know how it is when I get it...I can't wait!!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
AaronMg,
Cool.. What does the 2039cs come with? Is it a non-powered version? If so, you should look into Indigo in Markham for an amp. They make the world renowned BASH digital switching amps :)

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Its the CS line so it is not powered. Thanks for the tips on the amps but I purchased a marantz ma6100 a couple of weeks ago. I cant wait to try it out!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
http://www.bashaudio.com/
They are a company who designs and manufactures amps. Not sure where to look for a dealer. Incidentally, SVS has worked with them for amps they use with the SVS subs.
AaronMg,
MA6100 is 125 watts into 8 ohms or 180 into 4 ohms? Thats not too bad, but you could easily overdrive that amp with the SVS subwoofer so start low volume and work up from there. It'll be easy to have the volume too high by accident and then boom. Don't wanna blow anything. They use 300 to 500 and even 1000 watt amps with the SVS's so you know they can use the power. Careful, cause if you ain't got the power, you're going to clip and thats BAD. Find a second 6100 and bridge em for 360 watts :)
Or...just enjoy what you have :)

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply

Its not that easy though. The marantz ma6100 costs around $500-600 Canadian. I just dont have that kind of money right now. I emailed SVS before I bought it and they said it would work fine...even recomending a lower wattage. SVS subwoofers dont require that much power and the RMS is only 350 watts.

~Regards

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
looks like things moved a little off topic, but thats cool.

I'm gonna go take a look at some more subs today and see what happens.

blair

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Do more than look. Listen to them. I'm not being a smart a$$, I'm serious. Until I listened good and hard to 3 or 4 different subwoofers for 10 minutes each, I had no idea how to make a decision. I listened to the Mirage for a few minutes and was amazed by the non-boomy yet guteral deep sound. The twin 20-39 SVS's I heard a week or two ago sounded similar. Very Smooooooooth. Bass is yummy. Its like candy to me. Anybody like the bass in My Myself & Irene? Where the bass sweep sound effect drops right down low? I love that! OK, off topic. Now if its not too late out west, get your CD's and go forth to learn of all local things bass like :)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Ha ha
Of course I listened to them!!! I also went back and listened again today. I'm not going to buy anything for my home theater because it looks pretty.:) well, maybe some things...
but not a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks