Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone has Movie Posters in their living rooms?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 09:16 AM

OK, I am simply wondering if movie posters in a living room would not look er... geeky :b

How do you put these up in a way that would not make my place look like a teenagers bedroom? (no offense to teenagers Posted Image)

Perhaps I should avoid the living room altogether?

Pictures would help if you have them.

--
Holadem

#2 of 80 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 09:26 AM

The best way to make a poster look a bit "classier" is to have it framed.

If the cost of that is prohibitive, I suggest utilizing poster hangers.

Avoid tacking or Scotch taping!!

Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 80 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 09:30 AM

I don't have any in my living room, but I have them in my HT room, kitchen, study and a long hall that stretches most of the length of the apartment.

I think the key to having them look classy is to spend the money on decent quality frames. That "teenage" look you're trying to avoid is usually the product of a makeshift, stick-it-on-the-wall approach that always reminds me of dorm rooms.

Sorry, no pictures available.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 80 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 10:17 AM

In addition to frames, the way to add class to movie posters is to pick a classy (or classic) movie. Don't put up a poster for Relentless 2 or anything like that.

For the record, in my HT I have a beautiful reproduction Star Wars onesheet (original was way too expensive!) in a properly matted gold frame that looks tremendous. Everyone who sees it is complimentary.
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#5 of 80 OFFLINE   Mark Larson

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 10:28 AM

Ha ha, they are so popular in my dorm... Posted Image
That's why i haven't gotten any yet!
Thought of buying an art print, but $$$$... Posted Image

#6 of 80 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 12:30 PM

I've got three posters in my office, and I'm looking to add a fourth (trying to get a signed Amelie poster)

Check 'em out
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#7 of 80 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 12:39 PM

No movie posters, but I do have a big DTS promotional poster hanging over my audio rack.

I think well done posters can look classy, especially if you rotate them out frequently Posted Image

#8 of 80 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 12:40 PM

I've got the Italian Bad Taste poster on the wall opposite the living room. As others have said, the key to a classy poster is a nice frame. They are expensive, but that's the only way to go.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#9 of 80 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 13 2002 - 12:54 PM

I have one large movie poster in the living room "Blade Runner" (love that poster design), and Sandra surprised me one day when she came home with a large laminated movie poster of De Niro in "Taxi Driver" which I put up in the bedroom.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#10 of 80 OFFLINE   Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 01:10 PM

My only suggestion would be to choose your movie poster carefully. Lawrence of Arabia in the living room? Maybe. Pootie Tang? Probably not.

Jon

#11 of 80 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 13 2002 - 01:16 PM

Back when I was still living in a condo, I was given an original Babylon 5 poster as a gift. I had it framed, and hung it in the living room, where I thought it looked pretty good. This gave me the idea of using movie posters as decoration. Professionally framed they look as good a museum show or legit theater posters. While I've mostly chosen my collection because I've like the films, sometimes a striking poster design is enough - even if the film advertised was less than striking. And - given the cost of framing - I've sometimes bought an original poster that looked good and was cheap. New Line sold off a bunch of posters from their summer movies one year, and I think I picked up half a dozen for around three bucks each. Posted Image

I currently have thirteen posters scattered around my two bedroom house. Three originals (Lost in Space cast poster, and the Pleasantville white/rainbow and character posters) are grouped on one long wall just inside the entrance. Wag the Dog is on the same wall, beyond the doors to the laundry room and the master bedroom, right next to the couch and the arm chair. The Mask of Zorro is on the back wall of the house, above the three-shelf bookscase that holds most of my DVDs. A second Lost in Space poster (a striking shot of a planet from space) hangs in the kitchen, on an otherwise empty short wall. Two original B5 posters (series TNT kick-off and A Call to Arms) and a reproduction Independence Day poster are in the second bedroom, which I use as a home office. In the master bedroom are smaller reproduction posters of Casablanca and Gone with the Wind (these are the only posters that are matted) and a reproduction of the poster for the 25th annivesary re-release of The Godfather. I also have an original Dark City poster, but a friend accidentally cracked the glass while helping me re-hang it after cleaning, and I haven't had time to fix it. (It originally hung where one of the Pleansantville posters now resides.) I had some others, but gave them away to various people as I didn't have room to hang them. I may add a few more to the collection, though, and "rotate" them on the walls, keeping the unused ones in the closet in the spare bedroom. (Of course, that would require cleaning out that closet. Maybe I'll just stick with what I have.)

I've had nothing but compliments on the posters, and with the frames they certainly don't suggest a college dorm room. I also have other things on the walls, including a few original ink drawings and decent reproductions of paintings (all framed, natch), so it isn't just movie stuff on the walls. But given that the living room (the whole house, really) is dominated by a 56" widescreen RPTV and assorted HT equipment in a custom-built wall unit (which occupies a whole wall), a few movie posters seem to fit in with the decor.

Regards,

Joe

#12 of 80 OFFLINE   Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 01:21 PM

Yes, both framed and back lit with chase lights.

http://www.kathiejoh...omeTheater.html

Works just fine.

Deane

#13 of 80 OFFLINE   Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 01:32 PM

Current framed posters in our living/theater area:

Bagger Vance
Moulin Rouge
Pearl Harbor (Plane bombong ships)
Pearl Harbor (3 actors and plane with bomb)
Elizabeth
Cider House Rules
Along Came a spider
U571
Enemy Of The State

No, I don't think they look 'Geeky'.

Put some up, you won't be disapointed.

Cheers

#14 of 80 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 01:58 PM

I have one poster from Mulan in my living room. I'm not into the "collectability" of movie posters so I had it laminated rather than framed. It looks pretty good on the wall above my equipment. I do not think it looks geeky.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#15 of 80 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 03:31 PM

Speaking of frames, you really don't have to spend a whole lot!
you can order the dimentions you need online from a frame place (the name escapes me) for about 16$ then get the glass cut locally for 30$ or so, and have a very nice frame for very little. I chose a black aluminum.. but wood isn't much more

#16 of 80 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 05:02 PM

I will definitly look into frames. Unless the $16 quoted above is an exception, it is not as expensive as I feared?

Thanks for the suggestions people, I always knew I could count on you, please keep'em coming! Posted Image

--
Holadem

#17 of 80 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 06:06 PM

I have in my living room several framed posters:

lolarennt
Night of the Living Dead
Edward Scissorhands
Halloween
Blue Velvet
A Nightmare On Elm St
A Nightmare on Elm St 2
A Nightmare On Elm St 3
A Nightmare On Eml St 5 <---I need 4, Freddy's Dead, and A New Nightmare
Alien
The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead 2 English Design
Labrynth

Eventually I'd like to add the Friday The 13th Posters, Anatomy, Princess and the Warrior, Some Argento works, Mulholland Dr, Lost Highway, and some others that I can't think of.

BTW - for my standard movie size posters it cost about $100 for faming and dry mounting at the local frame place. They look great and would highly recommend for movie fans to do this. I'm thinking about starting to frame music posters for my bedrooms.

#18 of 80 ONLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 07:07 PM

When my basement theater is finished, there will be one nice 15-foot-long stretch of unbroken wall. I have a bunch of posters in the process of getting framed for that area: an original 1958 Vertigo one-sheet (Saul Bass art), an original 1958 French Horror of Dracula affiche, an original 1961 French Brides of Dracula large affiche, three original production design sketches from Citizen Kane, a 1968 one-sheet for 2001: A Space Odyssey, lobby cards from A Chump at Oxford & Treasure of Sierra Madre, window card from Dr. Strangelove, and few others. The hard part will be keeping it from looking like a wall at Bennigan's Posted Image! I've been waiting for over 20 years to have some of these items on display and can't wait to finally have it happen.

Quote:
BTW - for my standard movie size posters it cost about $100 for faming and dry mounting at the local frame place. They look great and would highly recommend for movie fans to do this.
It's best NOT to dry-mount movie posters! Once you do this, they have virtually no value whatsoever and the dry-mounting process is usually not permanent (it tends to yellow over time as the adhesive ages). Collectors will generally not buy posters that have been dry-mounted; linen-backing (museum-mounting) is fine, though.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#19 of 80 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 08:19 PM

Quote:
I will definitly look into frames. Unless the $16 quoted above is an exception, it is not as expensive as I feared?

AH HA! I dug through my email, and found my receipt. 10$ plus 6$ shipping.

www.americanframe.com IIRC at the time there was a sale, but it wasn't that much of a savings..

also, michals craft stores (and I would assume others) sell metal frame in various lenghts, by the pair. So you can buy it that way too, but it was more $ than mailordering, and I think amframe had higher quality stuff. I can post a pic of the frame I have if you're interested, it's nothing special, I didn't use any matting or anything like that.

BTW suncoast here in town doesn't carry poster frames.

#20 of 80 OFFLINE   Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted April 13 2002 - 10:51 PM

Permanent framing is expensive. Temporary framing is inexpensive. For a 36x36 Warhol, it cost me $209 to frame, including a top of the line frame, glass, dry mounting, and labor. Dry mounting came out to be about $30, labor about $45, the frame about $8/sf.

If you don't need dry mounting, or plan to swap posters regularly, then by all means goto Wal-Mart and get a standard poster frame.

Forum Nav Content I Follow