Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official "FRAILTY" Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:51 PM

I've been seeing lots of commercials for this new thriller. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton and Powers Boothe and also marks Paxton's directorial debut.

The blurbs on the TV ads are pretty funny, in that Paxton must have enlisted a little help from his old buddies. The raves came from the likes of James Cameron, Stephen King, and Sam Raimi. Posted Image

Either way, the movie looks pretty damn creepy to me! Lookin' forward to it!

#2 of 81 OFFLINE   Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:36 PM

This movie will work if it does not go too far over the edge and gets all crazy toward the end or something which happens many times. I would like to see it be a psychological movie that is completely realistic but is warped because we are seeing the world through a crazed mind. Of course I haven't watched the whole trailer for fear something would be given away so maybe I am way off on this. -Eric

#3 of 81 OFFLINE   Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter

• 1,083 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:55 PM

I, personally, can't wait to see this one. I love these types of movies, and this one looks creepy. I also really like Bill Paxton. Matthew looks like he may be going back to his Texas Chainsaw Massacre roots, though. Although, I did enjoy seeing him go over the top in that movie, so who knows? I'll be there opening weekend.(I hope, I said the same thing about Panic Room, and haven't yet manged to make it.)
"DO NOT float above me while I'm dying in the abyss!"

#4 of 81 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 07:14 PM

I have been eagerly waiting for this film ever since I first heard about it in mid 2001! It looks and sounds like it will be an excellent horror film, and I can't wait! I've always liked Paxton, and I feel that he has probably done very well directing this film. Being the huge horror fan that I am, and seeing how this film looks absolutely superb, I will by all means be first in line opening night!

#5 of 81 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 08:23 PM

Variety gave the film a rave review! Posted Image

Here is a non-spoiler excerpt:

[quote]

A resoundingly old-fashioned and well crafted study of evil infecting an American family, "Frailty" moves from strength to strength on its deceptive narrative course. Though Brent Hanley's script feels like it's based on an account of white Anglo-Saxon serial killers run amok in middle America, it's a genuine invention that has its cinematic roots in the rich soil plowed by such disparate works as Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter" and Tobe Hooper's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." Pic's dark-night-of-the-soul mood derives from the former, while the latter inspired the notion that the family that kills together stays together. Final effect is of a timeless work that could have been made at any point in the past 20 years.

[quote]

#6 of 81 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 08:58 PM

Wow, Scott. You mean I got to screen something before you boys in Philly? I saw this about two weeks ago. I guess my overall reaction to it is one of indifference. I thought it was fairly predictable for the most part. I could have done without the story being told mostly through flashbacks. Paxton's performance, at least in his first scene, is downright embarrassing. (He does recover.) Frailty certainly has its disturbing moments, and I think there's a seed of a good movie here. But your mileage may vary.
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#7 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, Mark, you scooped me on this one. There was a screening two weeks back, but I wasn't about to pass up Panic Room for it! Posted Image

Since it doesn't come out until next Friday, I'll hopefully have a screening of this one sometime next week.

...Or I'll just wait to see the Friday it's released!

Like many, I've been a huge fan of Bill Paxton for several years now. Glad to see he's expanding into new territories these days!

#8 of 81 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted April 07 2002 - 06:33 PM

The premise certainly looks interesting. I certainly hope the film works on a more deeper level. I'll be seeing this one next week. ~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#9 of 81 OFFLINE   Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted April 07 2002 - 10:12 PM

I'll be seeing it tomorrow night. Lions Gate kindly invited me to a screening. Mark
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#10 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 01:06 PM

Saw it last night. Five star horror flick. I sincerely loved this movie. I'm not saying anything else until this weekend...other than see this movie!

#11 of 81 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 01:18 PM

Cool, I knew this film was gonna be a winner from the moment I first heard about it last summer! Posted Image Its been too long of a wait, but for a film that looks as good as Frailty does, I'm pretty damn sure it will be worth it!

#12 of 81 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,185 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 02:07 PM

Sorry Scott/Mark, your views mean nothing. I'm only listening to what famous directors have to say about this one. Posted Image

Strangest marketing campaign ever....

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#13 of 81 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,033 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 02:37 PM

I just gotta hear him say "Game over, man! Game over!" and I'll be happy as a lark. Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#14 of 81 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 08:56 PM

Everyone go see it. Make sure you pay full price, too.

My stock portfolio will thank you... Posted Image

#15 of 81 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 09:52 PM

[quote]

Strangest marketing campaign ever....

[quote]

not really. it was a Stephen King quote that helped Evil Dead get off the ground early on, too.

DJ

#16 of 81 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,172 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 10 2002 - 09:15 AM

This marketing campaign is interesting, and effective, I think. I'm more influenced by hearing a quote from James Cameron than random reviewer from the Nowhere Gazette. It seems the equivalent of book-promotion, using dust-jacket quotes from other authors. How come this isn't done more often?

#17 of 81 OFFLINE   Ruth_F

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 12:40 PM

I saw it last week and was not impressed, but I did like the last 15 minutes. For me the father is too over the top.
Ruth Ferguson

#18 of 81 OFFLINE   Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 12:46 PM

My review is up..

Checkout the link below Posted Image
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#19 of 81 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,822 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 12 2002 - 12:06 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Frailty". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Frailty" should be posted to this thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 81 OFFLINE   Robin Warren

Robin Warren

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted April 12 2002 - 07:30 AM

Ebert really dug the hell out of this movie. I hope it works but I get a little gunshy around horror flicks as they seldom work out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users