What's new

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (2 Viewers)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Great movie, but so far only on LD. Any plans for a DVD release of this great film? Thanx
Mike

Mark E J

Second Unit
According to The Digital Bits "rumor mill" it coming next year.
patriot.gif

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Branagh's Hamlet is on my most wanted list. Next year would be great!
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favorites, too. I had the very great pleasure of seeing it in 70mm last November. It was just as good as I remembered it.

I have no idea if or when there will be a DVD release. Who controls it, anyway? Wasn't it financed by more than one studio?

I will be first in line (what line?) when it does finally come out, though. I love this film.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I really want to see this on DVD...

teh movie looks absolutely gorgeous on 70mm...

what a production!

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
I think thtrolled by Warner's. i read a rumor on Digital Bits that this would be a 2002 release. As yet nothing :frowning:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I started a petition type thread for this movie's DVD release (not an official petition) a long while back in the Studio/Manufacturer feedback area. Have not heard anything at all. On the night that Warner was on the HTF for the special chat session I was not able to attend, and reading the transcripts from that chat I never saw the film mentioned even once.

Hopefully Warner will get around to this one soon. They are doing the best DVD transfers these days, and Hamlet would look stunning (just put it on 2 discs please, I suppose that DTS is out of the question?)

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

It strikes me as strange that this one has not been released. Not only does the film look magnificent in it's widescreen glory, buyt the soundtrack in 5.1 is going to be something else!

What's the deal with Warner and DTS?

Rob

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
This is a favorite film of mine as well, and I can't wait for a DVD release. I've also heard rumors that this year may be the year for it. I've got my fingers crossed.

Add my name to the list of people who would want this excellet production of Hamlet... seeing it made it come alive much more than the Mel Gibson one, and hell, i just want that Billy Crystal gravedigger scene.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Robert, It's not like Warner has *never* done DTS, as they did it for some of the Lethal Weapon films, and for a special remaster of 'Twister', it just hasn't been offered by them for a long time, despite requests from fans.

I hope that they will reconsider in the future.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Of the three filmed versions of Hamlet I've seen (the others being Zeffirelli's and Olivier's), Branagh's is by far my favourite.
How bold was it to film the entire text as a 4 hour film (not one moment of which is not captivating) and to cast people like Jack Lemmon, Billy Crystal and Robin Williams? Yet somehow, miraculously, it all pays off.
And Julie Christie should have bagged a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. :angry:
Yup, put me down for a copy on the first day of release.

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
Rain,

You might want to check out Sir John Guilgud's 1964 version with Richard Burton, which is on DVD. I little unique, in that it's only a practice in street clothes, but still a screen version of the play.

People criticize the Branagh version, but I agree, it's great to have the entire play for once. And I'll say it again, Zeffrelli's version was quite audacious in changing scenes around. I'll have to dig out my (ugh) VHS tape sometime and go through it again, but I did this about 5 years ago, and had to skip around in the text while following Gibson lust after his Gertrude. There were some notes I read once, that said Zeffrelli did this to increase the momentum of the play for his adaption.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
My only complaint (while I do like Branaugh's vision) is that Fortinbras does not siege castle Hamlet and Osric does not die in the actual play. Other than that, the movie's dead-on and a perfect substitute for the play.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the few films of the last twenty years that genuinely had the hair on the back of neck on end and shivers going down my spne. Breathtaking.

Warner - please take note, there are a few people who'd like to see this released.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks