Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Rod Lurie's The Last Castle! Anyone excited about this one?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Hubert

Hubert

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 02 2001 - 03:35 PM

I just watched the trailer for The Last Castle, Rod Lurie's new film starring Robert Redford and co-starring Delroy Lindo and James Gandolfini. The trailer has me a little pumped. Anyone else got any thought's on this one, or just looking forward to it?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 02 2001 - 05:54 PM

Could be good, but... I'm really waiting for Lurie to hit one out of the park (both Deterrence and The Contender were sooooo close), but I just can't seem to get jazzed about this one. That said, his movies do tend to be above-average intelligent and hard to cut a good trailer for; I'm just not sure this is going to be the big one for him.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted October 03 2001 - 06:05 PM

Definitely! I listened to Rod Lurie on local am-radio for years when he had a film discussion show on Saturday mornings... I really can't believe how fast he has seemingly hit the big time.

I, personally, thought The Contender was excellent!

------------------
Posted Image

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   JustinS

JustinS

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 12:56 PM

The Contender was a film that started out so promisingly that I was sickened to see how it ended up. Talk about fumbling a football inside the 20. Deterrence never had me salivating as it was too rough around the edges from the start. Lurie has shown great promise, however, with these efforts and I do look forward to seeing what he comes up with next. I only pray that he has developed the wisdom to keep his politics out of his films, or at least try not to be so overt about it.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Hubert

Hubert

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 04 2001 - 08:24 PM

I just realized this movie was coming out 3 days ago. I'm basing my feelings purely off the trailer. So I'm defintely intrigued by the trailer. I also like Robert Redford. The cast looks good as well. But again, this is admittedly based on the trailer.

#6 of 9 ONLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted October 05 2001 - 02:44 PM

Saw it and like it a lot. Gandolfini tends to underplay in this rather than overplay which is a smart move at this point in his career. I really enjoy movies with a battle of wits between two well-matched adversaries. I also like the Contender ( with the same reservations about the last-minute cop out that have been voiced elsewhere) just so you know where I'm coming from. P.S. It's now slated to open Oct 19. [Edited last by Rob W on October 05, 2001 at 05:45 PM]

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Hubert

Hubert

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 05 2001 - 11:53 PM

Thanks a lot for your opinions. Now I'm even more pumped.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted October 06 2001 - 11:05 AM

My main man Gandolphini is in it. He's the best. Of course I am going to see it. I even saw a HBO first look that even made me want to see it more.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisLee

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 07 2001 - 05:01 PM

Yes ------------------ "I View the World in Anamorphic Widescreen"
The views expressed in this post is solely those of the confused personality providing them and does not reflect the opinions of my mind, its affiliate or subsidiary schizophrenic personas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users