What's new

S & V reviews DV-47A (1 Viewer)

PomingF

Second Unit
As the title says, the 5/02 issue (p.42) has a great review on the Pioneer all purpose player.

High Points: Excellent video & audio quality; many useful video fine-tuning adjustments; good remote control.

Low Points: Inconsistent & incomplete bass management; pricey.

PF

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
PomingF, though I have not seen the review, the bit of information you provided reads like a typical Sound & Vision review. They liked the performance but complained about an obvious omission. Whether or not the '47A is "pricey" is debatable. For one thing, it is much cheaper than the previous DV-AX10. Secondly, it is an Elite component and is hopefully made like one, so how cheap do we have a right to expect it to be? Furthermore, there are no competing models, so I don't feel the price is out of whack. Just my $0.02.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
And if you have a pre/pro with analog bass management (a la the 950) or an ICBM, the 1st low point becomes moot anyway.
Maybe they're comparing the price to the Apex "universal" player... :)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DV-47A paired up to a DV-49TX Pioneer Elite receiver. The receiver has bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs. Maybe that is why Pioneer didn't include it on the DVD player. I'm thoroughly pleased with the DV-47A. Great picture & sound.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Didn't see the S&V review yet, but I did read the Home Theater review today, and they not only don't mention the lack of bass management for analog output, but they imply that the player has bass management, although by that they mean only that you can set the crossover point. No idea to what they are referring. Anyone reading the HT review would think that the player had bass management.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
the DV-47A does have bass management, but it is only a fixed crossover point and is only applied to DD/DTS material. Sounds like "Inconsistent & incomplete" is a pretty good description.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
yep, just got the HT mag today, they really seemed to like it, and gave it a 92 for performance, that is pretty dang good.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
What I don't understand are reviews that mention that a component has bass management for DD. My understanding is that this is REQUIRED. What people want to know is whether a component has bass management for analog (the answer is usually no).

Why mention something that all DD processors have and omit the piece of information people are actually looking for?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Marc - I agree with you 100%. S&V is a HT magazine and like many such publications leans towards the HT side, however this review clearly indicated the lack of such bass management. In fact it says "Like it or not, this is the way bass management is (mis)handled on the vast majority of DVD-Audio players now on the market" among other things. It mentions the Outlaw ICBM as well. One of the low points noed was the bass management issue and it concludes "if your system can compensate for the DV-47A's bass management peculiarities ..."

I have to say I thought the 47a's build quality was no where NEAR typical Elite products and am still trying to figure out how it got an Elite badge. This unit had the build quality and look of a $150 player in my opinion.

I returned my unit because it was buggy.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer Elite DV-05. Another 7 lb DVD player. It would be nice if it weighed 20 lbs or more, but remember, it is THX certified (for whatever that's worth), and it did get good reviews when it came out. Listed for $1000; I got it for ... $300. :)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Mark I have had the DV-47A for about a month now. I previously had the DV-38A so it was quite a difference in the weight & build. Once I got past the difference in weight & started looking at the player itself & the quality of the picture & audio I began to see the differences between the 2 players. I was a little shocked too when I opened the box & the player was as light as it was. I almost returned it for that reason. But I decided to give it a chance.

The picture on the 47A is better than on the 38A in my opinion. I'm sure because the 47a has 12bit video DACS & the 38A has 10bit video DACS. The audio on DVDs, SACD, DVD-audio & MP3 CDS is incredible.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with this player. I haven't had one bug or problem with the player since I received it. It plays every bit of software I have. I think it's worth the price of the player & would buy it again. I know it's light in build & would have liked a player the build quality of the DV-38A however this player is the best player that I've had so far.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Personally, I got the feeling from reading the S+V "review" on this player to be a mere advertisement for the player than a real in-depth review.

After reading magazines like Stereophile and TAS, the reviews in S+V read more like fluff than real editorial pieces.

My understanding from respected people on other internet sites and magazines, is that the 47a doesn't do SACD nearly as well as almost anyother SACD player out there, yet this review gave it glowing reviews.

Take it with a grain of salt and wait for the "big boys" to give us the real skinny on this player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael said:
I got the feeling from reading the S+V "review" on this player to be a mere advertisement for the player than a real in-depth review.
After reading magazines like Stereophile and TAS, the reviews in S+V read more like fluff than real editorial pieces.
That's a good assessment of Sound & Vision. Their "reviews" amount to four-page advertisements. I always looks for the phrase "PAID ADVERTISEMENT" on the top of each page, but they always seem to omit it. :)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Evelio I was going to wait for the DV-49AVI player also but I went ahead & got the DV-47A so I could enjoy it in the meantime. I have it hooked up to a Pioneer Elite Pro-710 T.V. that locks in full mode with a progessive signal. The 16x9 compressed mode for non-anamorphic DVDs was well worth the price of the player itself. It allows me to use the progessive mode on the player to play non-anamorphic DVDs. I can't tell the difference now between non-anamorphic & anamorphic DVDs. It windowboxes the non-anamorphic DVDs in this mode & gives a beautiful picture.

As far as SACD goes I have no prior experience with SACD but they sound great. I've had no problem playing any SACD disc.

I've asked my dealer about another larger player coming & he has no information on it. I also called Pioneer & they don't know anything about a larger player coming. However if it does I'll just upgrade then. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the DV-47A. For $750 including shipping from Soundpros.com it was well worth it.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That's a good assessment of Sound & Vision. Their "reviews" amount to four-page advertisements. I always looks for the phrase "PAID ADVERTISEMENT" on the top of each page, but they always seem to omit it
While S&V isn't the best magazine around,it's unfair to accuse it for this type of "misconduct" without any proof[which you don't have].S&V isn't aimed at the high end minded audiophiles[thank God!],so naturally the same group of people despise it.I can't say I dig the attitude of the snoby Brit and American "high end" magazines,but that's as far as I go with my dislikes on this thread.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I've asked my dealer about another larger player coming & he has no information on it. I also called Pioneer & they don't know anything about a larger player coming. However if it does I'll just upgrade then.
My salesman got this information from a Pioneer rep. He then passed it down to me. Its still to early for everyone to know right now. The model # may change when the actual product comes out.

I'm tempted to get the DV-47A myself. But I can't afford to upgrade to the DV-49AVI after that. Its one or the other. I'll wait.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I'm tempted to get the DV-47A myself. But I can't afford to upgrade to the DV-49AVI after that. Its one or the other. I'll wait.
I went ahead and purchased the DV-47A. There was something I overlooked when it comes to upgrading. I never upgraded the surge protector.
There is no way I can get a good surge protector and the DV-49AVI at the same time. I went ahead and upgraded the Panamax 1000 to the Monster Power HTS-5100. For the price of the DV-49AVI, you can upgrade other things in your HT setup! :D
I also updated my web site. Click on the house icon above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks