What's new

Which DVD is considered to be THE reference as far a picture quality is concerned? (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I'm curious what DVD (non-animation) would be considered the BEST as far as video is concerned. No EE. No artifacts. Completely natural looking picture. I don't care if it is film based, a documentary, etc. Does it exist? I'm not looking for a list of "great" transfers, I want to know if a DVD exists whose picture could be considered PERFECT within the limits of current DVD technology!
***updated on 4/18/02...
As I was afraid, this thread turned into a "name your favorite transfers" thread :frowning:. Read my last post to get an idea of what I'm really looking for :)
Jim***

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, The Perfect Vision magazine has been making a lot of noise about how beautiful the DVD transfer of The Pledge is. I bought a copy just because of the story, but still haven't screened it yet.

My favorite transfer--and this is purely subjective--is Fox's stunning work on Moulin Rouge.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
By "non-animation", I suppose you mean that we can't nominate Toy Story 2, Bug's Life, Shrek, and so forth, right?

In that case, I would like to nominate:

Lost in Space

The Fifth Element (Superbit Edition)

Austin Powers: The Spy That Shagged Me

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'll agree with the Fifth Element and Moulin Rouge. Those are outstanding.

I'm curious why you've ruled out animation.?? If you are looking for a perfect picture, Bug's Life, Tarzan, Toy Story 1 & 2, and Shrek are all phenomenal transfers.

Peace,

DM

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I imagine Jim ruled out animation--certainly the recent stuff--because of its being entirely in the digital domain; Shrek is not a "transfer" in the classic sense.

It's like testing speakers with recordings: Orchestral recordings are preferable because they are not "processed" in the way pop music is.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it since I dislike the film even more than the average HTF bear, but "The Rock" is the best looking transfer I've seen.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I gotta go with the old farts at The Perfect Vision-

'The Pledge' really is the best looking movie I've seen yet... Very natural, 3D like image.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
[whacks Mr. Coleman on the head] :D
When "The Rock" is mentioned it refers to the Criterion Collection. Not the BV non-anamorphic one.
I would also have to go with The Rock: CC, and any of the SuperBit discs(Air Force One, Desperado, etc...)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
My favorite transfer--and this is purely subjective--is Fox's stunning work on Moulin Rouge.
You probably don't have a projection system. Neither do I! But I brought a stack of DVDs to my friend's house (just bought a sharp 9000 16x9 DLP) and was shocked to find that Moulin Rouge, while presenting a "nice" picture on the big-screen, was clearly lacking in resolution and detail compared to many other DVDs and also compared to how it looked in the theater. I think they filtered it for high-frequency detail to make it easier to compress (had to be a nightmare for compression with all the movement and constant scene changes). Not good enough for me...I would have rather had a few more artifacts if I could have had more detail.

It cannot be reference material on a big-screen system for this reason. It leaves you straining to try and focus on that least level of detail that may other DVDs just give to you without asking.

It's really surprising how many transfers look *reference* on a small screen or RP set but then suddenly start to look soft or out-of-focus on a big-screen front-projection system (Moulin Rouge, Braveheart). It's also shocking how many transfers you wouldn't think twice about suddenly look so filmlike (The Dark Crystal looks amazingly like real projected film).

IMO, having seen so many transfers on so many different projection systems, here are some reference non-animation discs:

5th Element (SBM) (a tad of EE in some scenes, but still awesome overall...almost HD-like)

Gladiator (same as above)

Starship Troopers

For digital animation:

Shrek is good, but a tad soft (?)

Toy Story I and II...blow-you-away HD-looking detail.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm.

- Starship Troopers

- The Fifth Element (sb)

- Independence Day

- Vertical Limit

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Good points, DaViD--and that Sharp 9000 projector is a harsh taskmaster when it comes to revealing flaws, as so many rave test reports have indicated. Good point.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Good points, DaViD
Yes, and it's kind of a sore spot with us projector owners, Jack. We think transfers should be done to maximize the quality on high level projectors, thereby naturally yielding the best quality on lesser displays. Alas, the attitude too often seems to be akin to what Berry Gordy did with his old Motown hits--making them so that they sounded "best" on car radios and the like.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Agree with
- The Pledge
Also like to add:
- Training Day
- Se7en Platinum
- 2001 Remastered

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Training Day,

Driven,

Thirteen Ghosts,

The Pledge,

(All Warner Bros. DVDs)

Fifth Element Superbit, (refrence color, but slightly below refrence black level)

-The best video quality overall (animated or otherwise) is still Dinosaur and Toy Story 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks