What's new

Movies that are better the 2nd time. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was just thinking about this the other night when I watched X-Men for the second time on HBO. There are some movies out there that I really did not like the first time I saw it. But the second time I watched them, I really enjoyed. And actually the wierd thing about it is, some of these movies I actually hated the first viewing and now I love them. I have bought the dvd because of seeing it the second time. Anyway some of the movies on my list are The Big Lebowski, The Thin Red Line, Out Of Sight, Mission Impossible 2, Enemy at the Gates,Independence day. And the first time I saw this one I thought it was okay but I have seen it 12 times now and it is one of my most favorite movies of all time, Pulp Fiction. It's just a movie that everytime I watch it, it gets better and better. What are some of your guys picks?
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
First time I saw ROAD TRIP, I thought it was ok, nothing special. When I saw it the second time I LOVED IT.
I have seen that movie many, many times since. The DVD is very much watched
" Tiny Salmon flowing down the stream, Tiny salmon chasing that impossible dream "
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
As far as teen movies go, American Pie was okay the first time, I did not think is was that funny but now I really like it.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Sarah S

Second Unit
Austin Powers 1&2, Mystery Men, South Park:BLU.
On the other hand, there are some movies I dislike more the second time around.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
South Park and Austin Powers get better each time, mainly because I know what the dialogue is (I have seen Austin Powers one over 30 times, and that was only during the first summer I owned it).
Movies like Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, the Others, and Memento are better the second time around because you know what happens and can pick up things you didn't see the first time around. For the Sixth Sense, you could just watch the commentary that points everything out for you.
Hmmm...other movies that I liked more the second time through...I really can't say. If a movie is really long and only OK, then its not better the second time. If a movie is REALLY good and not too long, then it usually is really good the second time. If a movie is mindblowingly amazing (like South Park) then it only gets better each time.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
The first time I saw Mallrats I was not that impressed because I was trying to compare it to Clerks. Then after the 2nd time I have loved it every time I watch it. That is about it but most movies I watch I love the 2nd time(the again that's why I buy them on dvd :))
------------------
"Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
It's often a matter of expectations.
Often moviegoers go into a film expecting a certain kind of film, and if that film doesn't match your expectations, the film is fighting a losing battle against your thoughts.
However, even if this is the case, you can subconsiously detect that this is a film that you would otherwise enjoy, or why else would you watch the film a second time if you didn't like it.
It's always best to go into a film without preconcieved expectations and knowing as little as possible about it.
------------------
Link Removed

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Exactly Bill. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was one of my most anticipated movies ever, but my first viewing left me slightly unsatisfied and unimpressed with the story. Subconsciously, I knew there had to be more than what I thought, so I decided to watch it again. I love it now. But the movie wasn't just better because my expections were out of the way, the visuals and story are quite deep and reveal themselves with repeated viewings. Only with a second viewing would I have discovered a major revelation about the main character.
~T

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Mallrats would be one of them.
I think a few of the other movies that really got me on the second viewing were films like:
Shawshank Redemption: loved it on the first viewing, but watching it a second time was a different experience; and now it is one of my alltime favorites.
Pulp Fiction: it's a completely different film after the second time you see it.
Harold & Maude: struck me as "interesting" the first time around; a classic the more I've seen it.
Long Kiss Goodnight: thought this film was "mixed to poor" in the theater; enjoyed the hell out of it at home on Laserdisc then DVD.. who knew?
2010: disappointed the first time. Enjoyed it much more in viewing it afterwords.
Pi: thought this film was "eh" the first time; the more I watched it.. outside of getting a migraine.. the more I really got in tune with some of the moments I thought were especially "neat" in how it worked.
CW

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Unbreakable and A.I. are two recent ones that come to mind. For me, both of these titles left a much better impression on my second viewing.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
It's now one of my favorite movies of all time, but the first time I saw The Usual Suspects, it didn't impress me all that much. Then one day, I got to thinking about it quite a bit and out of nowhere, bought it on DVD. As I said, it's now one of my favorite movies of all time.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
American Psycho and Hudson Hawk are 2 movies that I like much more now than my 1st viewing.
Natural Born Killers is a movie that I have just grown to hate after I liked it the first time(even got the soundtrack).

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd have to go with Heat. The first time I saw it I was hoping for a Michael Bay style non stop action film and didn't pay much attention to the dialogue. Over time the film grew on me and now it's one of my favorites.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Brain Candy.
As much as I enjoy Kids in the Hall, I didn't respond well to the movie. The second time around I LOVED it. I can now recite most of the movie.
"My marrows low."
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I had exactly the same experience with X-Men! I saw it at the theater and thought it was really average, and just far too simple a story to be really engaging. But then I saw it on pay-per-view, and ABSOLUTELY loved it. I went straight to the computer screen and ordered the DVD.
Regarding the other films on your list, I don't share the same feelings:
-The Big Lebowski - loved it the first time, love it even more now - one of the funniest films ever made
-The Thin Red Line - again loved it first time - saw it a bunch of times at the theater
-Out Of Sight - along with Heat and Fight Club, my absolute favourite film of the 90s
-Mission Impossible 2 - crapola then, crapola now
-Enemy at the Gates - havent seen it
-Independence Day - liked it at first, dont like it now
-Pulp Fiction - my fellings havent changed, a good flick!
A couple of films I didnt really like at first, but really like now:
Scary Movie - soooo funny
edTV - its actually really funny, really well-scripted and acted
Final Destination - the BEST teen-horror movie of the 90s revival
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I wish I hadn't got rid of the DVD. Becasue I saw it again, and there are so many classic scenes with Benicio Del Toro - including one of my all time favourite scenes - at the end when Del Toro threatens the waitress! - funny stuff
Cast Away - in the theater I was really irritated by the '4 years later' moment, but on DVD, I think this is a really cool movie!
Snake Eyes - again I shouldn't have gotten rid of the DVD. Still not great, but any film with Carla Gugino has to be at least OK! :)

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
I didn`t like The Matrix and Men in Black the first time I watched them. But now they are one of my favourite movies.
------------------
htfsig3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks