What's new

*** Official "THE OTHERS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
It is very rare that a horror film is released that is not strictly aimed at the teenage market, which is why I have been crossing my fingers over the coming release of "The Others".
From the reviews so far collected at Rotten Tomatoes (11 out of 13 reviews are positive) and after reading the positive review in the Village Voice (a very discriminating movie section), I am getting pretty excited about this film. Anyone else?

Dan Huey

Agent
Planning on going this weekend! Looks like a great film in the style of a 40's or 50's haunted house film.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
The preview definitely got my attention! I'm glad that more and more directors are trying their hand at more serious horror...eventually someone's bound to get it done right!

LisaH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really looking forward to this one. There's nothing scarier than a good ghost story.
------------------
A girl! A girl! There's a girl in the forum!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LisaH, so, you come here often?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I really am looking forward to this film, it looks damn creepy!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just checked Rotton Tomatoes and it has a 80% of the 35 reviews have been positive. I don't go to films on the opening weekend (I hate crowds), but I might make an exception for this film.
Session 9 & the Japanese film Audition also come out today. That makes 3 horror films, all aimed at a mature audience & all receving good word of mouth, coming out on the same day. When was the last time that happened?!?!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My boss told me that this film is a remake of a TV movie from years ago with the same title. Does anyone know if this is true?
I want to see this film, I'm just hoping that it doesn't leave me feeling empty like The Haunting did.
------------------
ep2.jpg

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, (many net-geeks are crying shill), both Wes Craven and Clive Barker wrote to Net sites, namely Aint It Cool and Coming Attractions to say how much they liked the film. Clive Barker went as far as to compare it to the ORIGINAL The Haunting and Rosemary's Baby.
Eagerly looking forward to it.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
icon14.gif

Good flick, I saw it a few hours ago. More of an old fashioned spook flick. No crappy cgi effects, No teenagers, No hip-hop soundtrack, No pseudo-hip attitude. Just a nice creepy story that was very well done, So naturaly when the film was over I heard a lot of people griping that it was boring
rolleyes.gif

LisaH

Stunt Coordinator
John - Only when I need a testosterone fix!
laugh.gif

------------------
A girl! A girl! There's a girl in the forum!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Others". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Others" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 10, 2001 at 07:17 PM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. But I'm afraid it won't do well in terms of box office. I think most people now expect mindless action heaped upon mindless action and get too bored when faced with a moodily atmospheric film.
I loved the almost total lack of special effects. However, there was one scene where:
Spoiler:
Nicole Kidman is firing the gun at the servants. Did that look CGI-y to anyone else? I thought it was done pretty badly, and surely a squib would have been cheaper and certainly better looking. Maybe it was added in after test screenings? Anyway, the rest of the film looked just fine.

How was the print that everyone else saw? The one I saw was in pretty bad shape - surprising since I saw it opening day. Reel changes were very bad with the picture jerking about. There was a lot of dirt on the print and a couple of times it looked like it had been spliced back together. There was also a nasty horizontal line that appeared a couple of times. It looked like a nasty video effect but I know that couldn't be
wink.gif

Anyway, today it's onward to Session 9! It's playing just 2 miles from my house and I'm so excited to see two good horror films in one weekend :)
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The print the I saw was in mint condition (Showcase Cinema Warwick), Yes I saw a couple of reel markers but I think that is unavoidable, Otherwise there where no scratches or dirt specks in the film at all :)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
**SPOILERS**
I actually did not find this movie scary at all nor was it probably meant to be due to the gothic style of the narrative. I do have to admit though that in one of the supposedly frightful moments where the kids were hiding inside the closet, over half of the audience jumped at that scene. I, on the other hand, already expected that a cliche' was coming and therefore, was not suprised at all at the predictability of that scene.
While director Alejandro Amenabar managed to avoid some cliches, he nevertheless, was able to include a few in there.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on August 11, 2001 at 10:12 AM]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually did not find this movie scary at all nor was it probably meant to be due to the gothic style of the narrative.
Edwin,
Out of curiosity, what movies do you considered scary?
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 11, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The part that creeped me out the mostSpoiler:was when the girl was in the bed with her brother and was talking to Victor, The way she would turn her head so you could not tell if see was actually talking to something or just pretending to to creep out her brother, That was pretty freaky.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I just saw it and thought it was great (except for the two sets of people crinkling popcorn bags on either side for the whole movie
frown.gif
). I jumped several times, including the cliche ones (what can I say, I'm a sucker for cliche's).
Although not completely original since it borrowed ideas from other sources like:
Spoiler:
A Fine and Private Place, Beetlejuice, The Sixth Sense, The Passersby, and others (no pun intended) I'm sure,
it still created a memorable and striking mix of its own.
What I found most interesting was:
Spoiler:The concept of Hell (or Limbo, if you prefer) being imprisonment on the Earth. The Mother was obviously in Limbo because of her actions, the children presumably because of the trauma of their deaths, and the Father was presumably stuck in the Limbo of eternal war either because of his trauma or because of his abandonment of his family. I had no idea what the presense of the servant ghosts represented though.
I look forward to watching this again on DVD with no crinkling popcorn bags in sight :)
Kenneth

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
One of the funny scenes I thought was:
Spoiler:at the graveyard where the little boy couldn't decide whether to go with the servant ghosts or with her sister.
That was a good lighthearted moment because you can really tell the dilemma in the little kid's face and still manages to be funny.
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks