What's new

A problem I have with Haley Joel Osment. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just want to say first off, that I think that he is a terrific young actor. I love his performance in 'The Sixth Sense', 'A.I.' and even 'Pay It Forward', and believe that he's going to go on to be one of Hollywoods brightest stars in the future.

However has anyone else noticed that he always seems to be sad? He always has this intense sorrowful look in his eye's that never seems to go away, even when he's happy. I really like this kid, but this is starting to become just a tad bothersome to me, just a tad.

Anyone know what i'm saying here or am I just being crazy?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
He always has this intense sorrowful look in his eye's that never seems to go away, even when he's happy
I agree. While I've thoroughly enjoyed his films, he always looks like he's in need of a Xanax (or a laxative).

Personally, I think that "cuteness" won't extend too far into his teen/adolescent years. He just may be the Macaulay Culkin of the next decade.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Admittedly, I've not seen Pay It Forward, but the nature of his two other roles in A.I. and T6S pretty much called for sadness, even despair, no?
I thought he embodied a pretty good "blank" look in A.I. when it was called for early in the film.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
John,
I know what your are saying, but I saw some "behind the scenes" piece or something like that, and he was laughing and cracking up about things and basically behaving like a normal kid.
So, hopefully your concerns (which are understandable just watching the films he's been in) are unfounded. :)
-Christian

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I agree. He seemed that way in "Forrest Gump" too, even though I don't think he was really meant to be like that there.

It's his eyes that do it I think. I still think he's been great so far.

Mike

Guy_K

Second Unit
I too believe it's his eyes. He also has that sort of voice (which will change). Osment might go the way of Culkin, or he might go the way of Jodie Foster. I can't imagine him playing another kind of role right now though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Guy, he was on Good Morning America about a month back promoting some Disney direct to dvd fare or something he did voiceover work for a month or so ago, and his voice was cracking every other word. They played a clip of from the video, and you wouldn't even know they were the same person. Whether he ends up awkward teenager or makes a graceful transition remains to be seen. He seems to be off to a fairly good start now.
His eyes are almost Asian looking. The kid from Gladiator and Unbreakable had the same sort of eyes.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I think this kid is phenomenal, and I don't think he will go the way of the Culkin, simply because he is lightyears ahead of Culkin, in terms of talent.
The only way I can see that happening to Osment is if he has the same kind of problems with his parents fighting over his fortune, the way Culkin did. Hopefully, that isn't happening. NO child actor (talented or not) should have to go through that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I SERIOUSLY doubt that he'll go the way of Culkin, Osment has more talent in his pinky toe, than that little twirp has in is his entire body!

I can easily get over the whole sad look thing, it was more of an observation really. I watched 'The Sixth Sense' again today, and it didn't bother me, I completly got involved with the story because Osment made it so real and believable.

When he reaches his teen years, it will be very important that he starts to evolve as an actor as well, getting stuck as the cute little boy in films is what causes all these young actors to fail. He'll be just fine though I think.

He's too talented to get stuck like that.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I think this kid is phenomenal, and I don't think he will go the way of the Culkin, simply because he is lightyears ahead of Culkin, in terms of talent.
I agree and think this is more the case.

I would have prefered Osment in SWI TPM as Anakin Skywalker. I won't even look up on IMDB the name of the actor, but he was horrific. It was clear to see that Liam Neesan was the only real actor in this film and while some claim that it was only an action adventure film, poor acting can really harm even this type of film. Water under the bridge, but I think Osmenth will be around for awhile. Doesn't he look like a cherubic Edward Norton?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
He looks a lot like Norton (who also seems a little sad in everything he does).
I agree that Osment would have been the PERFECT Anakin Skywalker. Jake Lloyd did a decent job though, it was the poor writing that made his performance seem worse than it was. I don't think even Osment could have saved that character when he would have had to say lines like "Are you an angel?" and "Yippee!". :)
/Mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I tell you this, if Osment had played Anakin, we would all have been sobbing in our popcorn when he left his mother on Tattooine!
He could probably even make "Yippie!" sound emotional. :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Not to stray too far away from the topic but I think the biggest problem with Lloyd's performance in Phantom Menace was simply putting a film of that magnitude on the shoulders of an eight year old. IINM, that's the same age Osment was when he appeared in Forrest Gump, and I don't think Osment could have pulled off Anakin Skywalker at that age either.
But anyway, I think Osment is extremely talented and will almost certainly turn into a good adult actor. About the only problem I have with him is that he seems pretentious in his interviews, but I guess he's young :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
IINM, that's the same age Osment was when he appeared in Forrest Gump, and I don't think Osment could have pulled off Anakin Skywalker at that age either.
I disagree. Osment could have done a MUCH better job at Anakin but we'll never know... ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What most of you don't know is that this kid can play some golf! He was in a Michael Douglas Celebrity golf tournament, and I was simply astounded by this kid's shot-making ability. Haley's very talented, and I think the sky's the limit. I think the comparisons of him to a young Ed Norton are on the mark. Time will tell if he'll have to disappear for a while and return as an adult to film to be "accepted", but I hope to see a long career ahead of him. I don't think he'll turn out to be another Henry Thomas or Macualey Culkin.

Haley's performance in "Pay It Forward" was very good, he seemed like a normal kid trying to make the best of his situation (having a single mom for his only parent).

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I can't BELIEVE someone compared the Caulkin kid to the immensely hugely talented Haley Joel Osmet.
Blasphemy. Sacrilege. Denied even.
Seriously though, Osmet has proven in a number of outstanding film performances he truly is the child actor of his generation. Speaking very generally, it takes most actors well into their 20s to develop the "acting" skills that go into being a talented actor; heck it takes most PEOPLE until well into their 20s to develop into talented people! ;) Osmet has a depth and range that is impressive in any actor … and is outstanding in someone who's been doing it since he was counting his age in single digits. It is truly phenomenal what he brings to the roles he's tackled since and including Sixth Sense, when he was 'discovered' and broke into the name we now know.
I can only look forward to his future projects, and hope he manages to make it through the travails of being a teenager and young 20something better than so many child actors we could start naming.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are making way too much out of this kid's talent.

He's an actor, just like all the other actors in this world; He just happens to fit the personality called for in movies like the Sixth Sense and AI.

I'm not saying he couldn't have done a better job as Anakin Skywalker, just that we don't need to sit here and whine for the rest of time about how much better HJO is than any other child actor, he's sooo talented, all the other actors in hollywood suck, etc. You almost sound like adolecents!

I think he'll go far, if he keeps his head on his shoulders and his nose to the belt sander. Just like anyone else...

And BTW, I agree with Andy wholeheartedly, Jake Lloyd did everything Lucas asked him to, Just like all the rest of the cast. Nobody complains about Natalie Portman, do they? (though there are probably reasons for that...)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My biggest complaint about Haley Joel Osment is that he keeps getting older. While I'm sure I'll enjoy his adult work, why can't he just do us all the favor and remain a child actor. There aren't enough good ones out there. Whenever a good one comes along they always make the transition to adult roles or quit the business. Can't they be more considerate of our needs as movie goers?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
John, you'll be sad to hear that today's his 14th birthday then... Happy birthday, Haley! :)
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks