-

Photo

"All That Jazz" - Any news on a DVD release??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Jenna

Jenna

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted April 07 2002 - 07:50 PM

I'm dumping all of my old, prerecorded VHS tapes that I've replaced with DVDs...and came across this great film.

Has anyone heard any rumors of a DVD release date on "All That Jazz"??? ...how about "A Chorus Line"????

My Collection

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted April 07 2002 - 08:17 PM

Ron posted on the restoration of the film about 6 months ago (?), it's probably accessible through a search. Rumored to be a Fox 5 Star release, hopefully coming this year. Peter Staddon hasn't been as visible around here lately, but maybe he can chime in with info.

In the meantime, MGM is about to release Fosse's Lenny, and great film, and you can check out my review here:

http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=3345
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted April 07 2002 - 08:47 PM

Last I heard was 3rd quarter.

I have no idea of any recent updates.

Looking forward to seeing it.

You can get a sneak peak of it here:

Ron's Reviews

Just click on All That Jazz (preview)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted April 07 2002 - 11:22 PM

Not that it's probably much use to the majority of Region 1 collectors, but it might be of interest to know that the Region 4 DVD of "ALL THAT JAZZ" is being released this week in Australia.
It features,
1.85:1 / 16:9 Enhanced
Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
"On the Set" clips of Director Bob Fosse
Audio Commentary by Roy Sheider
Roy Sheider Interview clips
Theatrical Trailer

No doubt the region 1 version will not be far behind, probably with the same features.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted April 08 2002 - 04:07 AM

There's also a UK R2 disc coming in May, just fyi. Hopefully the R1 will be announced shortly.

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted April 08 2002 - 06:48 AM

My guess is that FOX is waiting to release "All That Jazz" along with "The Rose" and "Hello, Dolly" as part of a musical promotion with a repriced "Moulin Rogue." Though, I may be wrong since Best Buy has been selling Moulin Rogue for $22.00

As far as "A Chorus Line" it would be nice to have this film in widescreen, MGM/UA has the VHS rights, but I don't think they have the DVD rights - That's what I heard, the film is available in region 3 or 4 but in Pan & Scan.

One of the first films to be recorded with Digital sound, and one of the first to be released on laserdisc in digital sound, it sounded great, but the picture was Pan & Scan and fuzzy too.

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted April 08 2002 - 07:52 AM

I wasn't aware All That Jazz was
being released region 4.

If the domestic version isn't out soon,
I might have to go grab this one. After all,
it's my favorite movie.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted April 08 2002 - 11:22 AM

Ron, also released here in Oz this week alongside "All that Jazz" is the wonderful "Hello Dolly".
I don't know why we are getting first bite of the cherry, but it certainly makes for a change, as we usually drag behind in most other titles.
The Dolly disc is bare bones and only contains a trailer as an extra.
The big problem with both of these titles on Pal region 4 is the horrible speed up.
I refuse to buy Pal versions of musicals for that reason.
So I will probably wait for the region 1 release on both.

Interesting also to note that we are getting actual NTSC and not Pal releases of both Calamity Jane and The Harvey Girls on region4, a week or two before you guys.
It means that I can purchase these 2 titles locally, save about $20 on each and not have to worry about speedup.
I hate to think what will happen to local purchasers of these two titles, because if they don't have an NTSC Capable TV, all they'll get is a black and white picture.
It could create some interesting complaints to Stores and the local Warner Distributor.

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,414 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 08 2002 - 02:21 PM

Quote:
As far as "A Chorus Line"...one of the first films to be recorded with Digital sound, and one of the first to be released on laserdisc in digital sound, it sounded great, but the picture was Pan & Scan and fuzzy too.

I remember buying the "digital" soundtrack to this movie when it first came out -- on LP! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Come to think of it, I still have the LP...with the digital sticker still attached! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted April 08 2002 - 03:05 PM

Warners have been releasing NTSC DVDs in Australia for ages now. Some people do refuse to buy these DVDs, but most people wouldn't even know the difference if their television is multi-standard. I don't have a problem with the PAL speed up (don't hear it), so I'll happily buy All That Jazz and Hello Dolly in the coming weeks.

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 07:38 AM

Mike,

I remember buying the "Chorus Line" Compact disc in 1985, I think this was one of the first CD's, it came in a long thin cardboard box. I think those boxes lasted about a year before the record companies did away with them.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Chad Parks

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 03:09 AM

Looks like a Region 3 release of "All That Jazz" was released on 6/6/02. I wonder what's holding up the region 1 disc?

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 03:56 AM

Chad, in this thread Peter Staddon said:

Quote:
The R1 release was held up for a couple of months because of a potential new piece of material which in the end did not materialise. We are looking at when it would make most sense to release this and The Rose. They probably wouldn't do well in the crowded 4th quarter.

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 04:15 AM

I don't know about the other FOX muscials, but If FOX wanted to cash in on "All That Jazz" I would guess they would release it in December when the film version of Bob Fosse's show "CHICAGO" opens. "CHICAGO" contains the song "All That Jazz" and would probably confuse many people into buying the DVD thinking they're related.

They are related in a way since the show in the film "All That Jazz" is based on parts of the stage show "Chicago".

I would guess the media will have many articles on Bob Fosse in regard to the "Chicago" film and the song "All That Jazz" may become popular again on radio and MTV.

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 07:20 AM

For the record, I think Peter is correct to wait on both All That Jazz and The Rose. I want both titles - badly - but I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in. Otherwise, I'd just wait until "whenever I get around to them". Most people will feel the same.

I'd say to look for these around President's Day. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 08:33 AM

I have still heard nothing, nada, on
this titles release other than the fact
that it may have been pushed to 2003.

I am a bit frustrated and really leaning
towards buying the region 2 version at
this point.

Ronald J Epstein

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Jenna

Jenna

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
...I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in....

Not me. I'm dying to get "All That Jazz" on DVD and would buy it anytime, anyplace...the sooner the better! I LOVE it when there are several DVDs that I want all released on the same day.

My Collection

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
...I'm more likely to get them on street date on a month when the big releases aren't crowding in....
Sounds to me like the DVD is ready to go! I sincerely believe that there are enough fans of "All That Jazz" that it would sell very well no matter when it is released. This sort of attitude by Fox about potentail release dates is quite frustrating! I'm going to be getting a region free DVD player in a few weeks. So I too may go for a R2 version, especially if Fox decides to push this back to 2003 or heaven forbid later than early 2003. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:45 AM

What big releases? I think "All that Jazz" fans will buy "All that Jazz" before even considering "That Big Lame Blockbuster from Last Summer that Really Sucks But I'll Buy the Three-Disc Set Anyway 'Cause I Have Compulsive DVD Buying Disorder".

Seriously, Fox, release it. I've got nothing but two Fassbinder titles and the Tenenbaums to look forward to this month.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 02 2002 - 03:49 AM

I agree. It seems that this is a release-date-proof film. The people that want it are going to buy it whenever it comes out.

Whoa!! Didn't realize at first that this was my 2000th post!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow