Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Why can't we have more science fiction movies?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 07:51 PM

Even a bad science fiction movie is more interesting than a lot of the poor movies which have been made.

One of the poorer science fiction movies is Lost in Space which sucked because it was just too cartoony and not enough science fiction.

Let's here it for more science fiction movies.

Aaron

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 11:23 PM

Aaron, I agree with you about wanting more sci-fi as it is one of my favorite genres. However I want sci-fi with good scripts and good acting, which is a rare commodity these days. It seems like nowadays we can show almost anything on screen that a writer or director can imagine via CGI yet the imagination is lacking! As are the scripts!

For every Dark City, Matrix, or Pitch Black that is made there are a dozen titles like Mission to Mars, Red Planet, Supernova, Sphere, Lost in Space, Titan A.E., Armageddon, etc. that range from mediocre to truly awful. CGI is no substitute for a good script. Apparently the suits in Hollywood disagree. Sci-fi films only need monsters and CGI to be made, it seems, and screenplays are an afterthought.

I wish they would make a good sci-fi film revolving around a good script instead of the latest gimmicky CGI tricks. Give me back my latex monsters and spaceships on wires. Let the FX take a backseat to the story for a change.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 15 2001 - 02:02 AM

Hopefully, Ms. Roberts will not be in the upcoming adaptation of Rendezvous With Rama... Posted Image

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 15 2001 - 02:15 AM

Actually, we've been getting a fair number of good science fiction movies lately - A.I., Dark City, Gattaca, The Arrival, and Pitch Black. I've got high hopes for Spielberg's Minority Report and Andrew Niccol's s1m0ne, too, as well as the adaptation of Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers which Alex Proyas has set up at New Line. Fincher's doing Rendezvous With Rama, and supposedly Phil Tippet is doing Ringworld.

Sure, Hollywood has traditionally thought of science-fiction as "action movies with laser guns", but it seems that now there's a group of filmmakers out there - Niccol, David Twohy, Proyas, and Spielberg - that really get science fiction and are doing interesting things with it.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   andreasingo

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted September 15 2001 - 05:51 AM

Do not forget Soderbergs "Solaris", the new adaption of the novel with the same name (it's not a remake of Tarowskis film). That one could be fantastic I think.
Andreas Ingo

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted September 15 2001 - 07:37 AM

Hey, what about Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis? At the very least, it'll be interesting to see what he can do with his first sci-fi entry (no, I don't count his Michael Jackson 3-D extravaganza Captain EO). Posted Image

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted September 15 2001 - 07:45 AM

I would agree with most of those movies except for lost in space and space cowboy's.

Aaron

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 15 2001 - 09:04 AM

I enjoyed both Mission to Mars and Space Cowboys.

------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Mike_S

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 02:08 AM

By coincidence, I (re)watched the movie CONTACT last night. It was a gem of a movie, well anchored by the performance of Jodie Foster and a great supporting cast. CONTACT was an intelligent, well written and thought provoking Sci-Fi based film. What I also liked was the fact that the film was really ALL story. It didn't hit you over the head constantly with explosions and special effects such as a movie like ARMEGEDDON. When the 'big' effects scenes do arrive, they are truly spectacular and are more effective because of the pacing of the film. The DVD of the film is a pretty 'loaded' Special Edition including commentary by Foster. I recommend it highly.
My Home Theater

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 11:40 AM

I just finished watching Space Cowboys...I thought this movie was horrible.

How can you even count it as science fiction? It just takes real life events and twists them around into an utterly *stupid* story.

Sorry...just my oppinion.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 12:05 PM

Mike,

I would have to agree with you about space cowboys. It has Tommy Lee Jones and Clint Eastwood, what went wrong? Well old guys don't go into space for a reason, THEY'RE OLD.

Aaron

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   AdrianJ

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
Well old guys don't go into space for a reason, THEY'RE OLD.

I guess John Glenn didn't really go into space recently. Posted Image

I really enjoyed Space Cowboys. I went to see it with my mother and is probably one of only a handful of movies that would possible for us to enjoy together.

When I saw this topic, my immediate answer was that it is incredibly hard to do good sci fi.

------------------
Posted Image
Adrian Jones

Adrian Jones

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 01:16 PM

I don't care form Tommy Lee Jones that much. He seems to play the same blustery-outhouse-chickenhouse-fugitive role over and over. It was good the first time...but give it a rest.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 06:01 PM

It was my understanding that the reason John Glenn went into space was to see how well an aged human body could withstand to extended periods of time in space.

What does this have to do with the average age of astronauts going into space?

Aaron

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted September 16 2001 - 08:54 PM

I think we can't have more science fiction movies because so many people dislike science fiction movies, as evidenced by the reviews at www.IMDB.com . Many hate Pitch Black, for example, and it's not exactly every day that we're going to see a sci-fi movie better than that, like the Matrix, which is itself hated by many, including my wife who walked out on both it and AI after the first 45 minutes.

Suspension of disbelief seems to be the problem. I find that most sci-fi movies are more realistic than the cop-n-robbers type movies, with the sci-fi movies usually requiring just one leap of faith, and then everything is internally consistent after that. But most can't make that one leap.

Even you guys here are being pretty critical. Supernova is decent, especially the longer version, and Red Planet was enjoyable aside from the robot. If each year I could get 10 sci-fi movies about that good and then one Matrix or Gattaca, I would be happy.

The Stargate SG-1 series on Dish's Showtime-HD is what I look forward to most for my sci-fi fix. It's not actually HD, but it's a very good upconvert with DD5.1 sound. Stargate SG-1 alone is justification enough for a Dish 6000 receiver. Well, except that this is its last year on Showtime.

Why it is that one of history's most popular movies, Star Wars, is sci-fi, yet most dislike sci-fi, I dunno.

------------------
Posted ImageClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group
Click to join to Philips_HDTV Yahoo group

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 17 2001 - 05:46 AM

Re: Space Cowboys... I thought it was a terrific movie.
It was directed in an old-school adventure style, perfectly paced to match the story it was telling, with excellent special effects, acting and directing. It was very refreshing to see a movie made by people who are extremely good at their craft, know what they want and how to achieve it, without making it overblown or underwhelming.

I don't know how credible the storyline was, but compared to other sci-fi movies it wasn't very hard to believe.
It was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences I've had all year.

/Mike

/Mike

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted September 17 2001 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Do not forget Soderbergs "Solaris", the new adaption of the novel with the same name (it's not a remake of Tarowskis film). That one could be fantastic I think.
I don't know what your source is, but Soderberg's next two films are: Ocean's 11 & How to Survive a Hotel Room Fire, possibly followed by Son of Schizopolis. IF he does end up making Solaris it will be some years in the future.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted September 17 2001 - 07:35 AM

Im probably gonna get flamed for this, but when I went to watch Apocalypse Now Redux I couldn't get into it at all. All the time im thinking how they did all of the little gory scenes like the head getting thrown in sheen's lap. The only halfway impressive scene was the slicing of the cow, which was impressive because it was real.

When I watch a science fiction I can get totally immersed into the movie because it is in no way grounded in terms of reality. Whenever watching movies like alien I had absolutely no problem suspended reality, and that movie scared the bejeebers outta me.

Aaron

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 17 2001 - 10:33 AM

If we are going to give our honest opinions of Space Cowboys, then here is another one.
I think the first half of the film was funny, sentimental with good chemistry between the actors.

The second half, when they are in space, it slowly falls apart when the movie turns serious. Then the silliest thing happens;just point me towards the moon. I know it was a symbolic thing, but to just point an object that more than a day away in space and have it hit by just pointing at it? Hmm, maybe we should not have computers on the space shuttle, we'll just point them to where we want them to go and they'll get there all by themselves! Posted Image

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted September 17 2001 - 05:58 PM

Here's a question: Does an adventure movie that takes place in outer space necessarily make it a science fiction movie?

I consider movies like Blade Runner, A.I. and Gattaca sci-fi, basically because they deal with science and fiction. As far as I can tell, stuff like Lost in Space or Space Cowboys are your typical quest/adventure movies that just happen to take place among the stars. The essential plots of these films could just as easily be transplanted to the old West, a fairy tale setting, or an adventure movie from any era.

OK, Lost in Space dealt with science a little with that inane time-travel contrivance, but the question stands -

Does an outer space setting automatically denote "science fiction"?

------------------
Scott

Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow