What's new

Anybody have pleasant, "normal" dreams? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I recently realized that my dreams are always pretty disturbing. Creepy. Not happy. :eek:
They seem to be getting worse. I don't have the kind of dream that I don't want to wake up from. For one night I would like to dream about gorgeous, scantily clad men prancing around me. There is an open invitation for George Clooney to join me for a dream. He hasn't RSVP'd.
I'm thinking...maybe this is not normal? Do you have good dreams?

Julie K

Screenwriter
Most of the time my dreams are what I consider to be happy and good.
My bad dreams are what I call 'anxiety' type dreams - problems with my beloved Fiero, problems with my home/lawn/etc - the kind of thing you worry about while awake but then get amplified while asleep until it's almost unbearable.
But most of the time my dreams are good. I should, of course, mention that I'm a big horror fan and by "good" I mean that my dreams are a lot like horror movies. And the best of them are heavily influenced by H.P. Lovecraft. I enjoy those a great deal :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Harummpphhh! Talking about scantily clad men that way, as if they're sex objects. The nerve! :)
Dreams usually reflect what's on your mind--whether you realize certain things are on your mind or not. You must be going through some stressful times, apparently.
When my cat's in my dreams, everything's fine. I've even dreamed about not having enough input connections on my monitor/display. I've even dreamed about my speaker system.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I ususally don't remember my dreams very long, but most of them are pleasant and actually boring. I do experience deja vu a lot though, so the small bits of dreams I do remember come true!
This is a fascinating article on dreams and dream control (lucid dreaming). I actually got it to work, and it is super cool. http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/2/6/19922/36571
Kind of geekily written, but worth a read. Who knows, you could pop Clooney (or anyone for that matter) into your dreams every time you want..

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I often have pleasant dreams, but then I end up waking up disappointed when reality sets in.

Other times, I do have disturbing dreams. Some that recur include:

- Dreaming that I'm sleeping and that I cannot wake up.

- Dreaming that my cats have run away or have been harmed in some way.

- Dreams about my wretched childhood (in particular, my mother).

Another interesting phenomenon that has occurred a few times is dreaming that I've fallen in love with someone. In those cases, if the person in the dream is an actual person, I actually find myself thinking about them in a more affectionate way for a few days afterward. Very strange.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
I often have the coolest dreams. I really need to start writing them down/sketching them. I dream of people that I know sometimes. Other times I dream of people that I wish I knew - I guess I make them up in my head. I dream of the most fantastical places and things too.
Much better than when I was a kid. I used to have a few reoccuring nightmares about trains:)
I just read Rain's post, and I too sometimes dream that I have fallen in love w/ someone I know, which makes me think about them differently for a while.

Julie K

Screenwriter
One of my worst dreams was concerning my lawn. Funny thing, it was turning into an interesting one just before I woke up.
I spent several summers recently putting in a new front yard. I did it the hard way and through many personal hardships. I was worried about the first new strips of sod I put down, and then less than a week later I had a water pipe break under my yard. I came home to the city water company digging up my brand new sod.
That's reality. It got patched up quickly and the sod did ok.
But after that, until 3 summers later when I finished the job, I had very bad dreams of discovering gigantic holes in my front yard. I would be very concerned about how to fill up the hole. Sometimes there would be trash or junk in the hole and I'd worry about how it would affect the sod (I'm sure that was triggered by the rancid beach sand the company refilled the hole with.)
Once however, the hole had a purple glow at the end. I figured it would lead somewhere extremely interesting and I forgot my worry about the lawn. I set off to explore and woke up :frowning:
Anyway, I agree with Jack. You're probably going through a stressful time and those stresses are trigging bad dreams. Spend some time before going to sleep reading/doing something you enjoy. That might help.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Good question! I typically have pleasant, but relatively weird dreams. However, when I was on Paxil, I had some of the weirdest dreams ever. One time I dreamt I was talking with Abraham Lincoln and he told me that he wished the stripes on the flag were wavy instead of horizontally straight. Kind of stupid huh?! :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I had a dream recently that my cat had a fight with a snake! :eek: It was really disturbing.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
All good here. Mine are always of the adventureous/action type.
Peace Out~:D

Frederick

Second Unit
My dreams are usually good. I have a lot of deja vu type dreams, which really freak me out. When it happens, I sit there for a minute going "Hey ... why does this feel familiar", then it hits me. Weird ...
I don't have too many bad dreams. Even my "nightmares" I tend to turn around. I have a very strong connection to my immediate family, so sometimes I have when I have a "bad dream", it's about something happeneing to them. But if it's just me in a bad dream, I usually handle it. Like there was one with Jason (the dude with the hockey mask and family problems) chasing me around my fathers old house. Man, I kicked his butt something good :laugh: ...
Freddy C.

Janna S

Second Unit
Most of my dreams are fun. They aren't adventure dreams, but rather interesting, semi-realistic mixtures of the people and issues in my real life.

Sometimes when I get into a particularly interesting dream, I will carry it on through several sleep sessions (over the course of a couple of nights).

When I dream that I am "in love" with someone those dreams are usually fretful - it's not working out, or it's not a good idea, it's unrequited, etc. On the other hand, when I have "in lust" :b dreams, those are always carefree and enjoyable.

When I am stressed I usually sleepwalk, which is not always associated with dreams that I can remember. Or I have the classic frustration dreams - I can't dial the phone properly, can't work the lock, etc. Or it's the end of the semester and I haven't attended class, done the reading, written the paper, taken the test. Or I realize (after having been out of school, practicing law, for 20 years!) that my high school diploma or college or law degree is invalid because I missed a class!

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Um .... so I am a freak. :frowning:
Just a few common themes:
I dream repeatedly about disgustingly dirty bathrooms.
I dream that my father's alive (he's been dead of 8 years). In the dreams though, I know he's supposed to be dead. In the dreams he's always near death.
Last night I had a dream that four family members were dying.
There's more, but I'll spare you.
I thought I was a fairly well-adjusted person!
Harummpphhh! Talking about scantily clad men that way, as if they're sex objects. The nerve!
:D We women can be pigs just like men!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
:laugh: Jack. No, not really, but I have dreamt about my neighbor, she dresses up and looks just like the St. Pauli Girl
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Guess there is a small correlation there.
Peace Out~:D

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I dream that my father's alive (he's been dead of 8 years). In the dreams though, I know he's supposed to be dead. In the dreams he's always near death.
Pamela, I have dreams about my friend who committed suicide over a year ago. And in these dreams, I know that he is actually dead, but I still carry on conversations with him. Also, the other people in those dreams are as shocked as I am about seeing him alive, but still converse with him just as normal!

Kind of freaky dreams!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"I dream that my father's alive (he's been dead of 8 years). In the dreams though, I know he's supposed to be dead. In the dreams he's always near death."
Pamela:

Same here. My father died of The Big C (in the lung) more than twenty years ago. Yet, to this day, I dream that he still "sort of" alive--the cancer is sort of there, and he has sort of survived. But it's not really quite him. More like those entities that emerged from the grave in Stephen King's Pet Semetary: they look like your dearly beloved, but something's not quite right. And I dream about this pretty regularly.

Something in your life is serving to trigger these subconscious reactions. And I'm sure you think about your late father enough so that he appears regularly in your dreams.

Do what Julie said: Read for about an hour before turning out the lights.

Ron: We're sooo on the same page, dude!

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Julie/Jack:

I do read before bedtime. Right now I'm finishing up Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer—a gentle, lyrical novel. If anything should give me pleasant dreams, it would be this book!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I have a bad time sleeping.

Some of my worst dreams:

-Fighting the devil. I tried throwing fire balls to kill him but couldn't. I was able to escape by flying away.

-Getting scraped by Freddy Krueger's claws. I threw ice from my refrigerator's ice dispenser to try to defeat him.

-Fighting Robocop.

-Many dreams of being chased by monsters inside my house or around my neighborhood.

-Many dreams of being shot, stabbed, or tortured.

Once, I had a dream in which I was walking towards my front door. I tried opening it repeatedly but it wouldn't open. Then I started banging and kicking on the door. The next day my parents asked me what I was doing in the middle of the night. It turned out that I was sleep walking.

My scariest sleep experience has been sleep paralysis.

~T

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I hate to bring up the hormone word, but they are classed as powerful mind-altering drugs. I believe Melatonin levels have been reputed to affect dreaming. I am certainly seeing the effects of Androgens on my almost 2 yr. old stud’s attitude.
You write as if you never have pleasant dreams? The first time I was pregnant, I had twisted, terrifying dreams regularly. Horrible deaths of those I loved and sci. fi. type blood and gore monsters and serial killers. To make it worse instead of shaking it off on waking, the emotions these evoked would feel “real” as if it had happened and I was grieving.
I had always been so “well adjusted”, this situation felt very spooky and sick, I wouldn’t even tell anyone, discovered a few years later, this kind of dreaming CAN be connected to major hormonal changes, or other organic or medicinal causes. Sure enough, did it on the second child also, so I am sensitive to those kind of out of balance situations.
Normally, I only occasionally have a mildly disturbing or bizarre dream, the majority being fun, sexy, or humorous.
And why does something always wake you up just before the Besttttt part.! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks