What's new

George Lucas' 1983 animated classic - Twice Upon a Time (1 Viewer)

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
I know that this is probably really low on his priority list right now, but it's also a film for which George Lucas might consider delegating the DVD mastering.
Twice Upon a Time was absolutely the funniest animated film I've ever seen, as well as a great story. I'm still quoting it 20 years later. It's the kind of movie that would get many multiple plays on my home theater. George Lucas was the Executive Producer.
Does anyone know if this is planned for a DVD release?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Not heard. I have the laser disc but I thought it was rather boring. Maybe I should give it another shot. According to the IMDB, the LD is a cut version; wonder how much better the uncut one is?

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
There are two versions of this film: one with adult dialogue, and one with PG-rated dialogue. Unfortunately the laserdisc caontains the latter version. This is a pity, as the dialogue from the adult version is an order of magnitude funnier than the edited version.
I'm assuming that the time is not cut on the edited version, only that dialogue is different. Thus, length is probably not even an issue.
Eyes Wide Shut was not cut, only edited by inserting digital characters, so this situation may be similar.
I have had the LD for a few years, and watched it only twice (uupon a time?) :D
I like it quite a bit, but do not really consider it a classic like WSD. Beyond it being the first feature film that utilized its particular cut-out & back-lit animation style, it's noteworthy only for the fact that it's director went from animation to live action with the television Ewok Films.
I'm a bit disappointed that the LD is an edited version, but I've never seen the supposed HBO adult language cut. If it were not for the fact that Lucas has a track record for changing the films that come out of his studios, I would probably be more inclined to treat the adult language version as a rumor or rough version never meant to be released to the public once prodution was completed.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
:eek:
Wow!!! I sure learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for the info.
... I've never seen the supposed HBO adult language cut.
Alan and John -- I have never seen the PG Laserdisc version of this film. The only one I ever saw was the adult-language version on HBO. I can testify that the HBO version was indeed "adult" in content. It was the adult dialogue with the cartoon setting that made the characters memorable. With cleaned up dialogue, it would have been a different movie altogether (sort of like making Greedo shoot first, don't ya' think!?). ;)
I wonder if they cut the movie as well. I have to believe that they did.
For me, this movie was gut-busting funny and I've been hoping to get it on DVD ever since I started my home theater.
I hope that the source material for the original version is still intact. Please let me know if anyone hears news about this release on DVD.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Only saw the edited version, but this film was still interesting. The style alone was worth watching it for.

Would love a DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB might own the rights, but it looks like Lucasfilm owns it as well.

The Ladd Company originally released it, so it's a good chance Lucasfilm may own it completely.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
It will probably be released along with THX-1138 and Howard the Duck...the final non trilogy movies from Lucasfilm Ltd.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If Lucasfilm has the power to take Willow from MGM (theatrical release) to Columbia/Tri-Star (video release) than Fox (DVD release)... I wouldn't be suprised if Twice Upon a Time comes out from Fox too when it's released on DVD. The Digital Bits reported late last year that when Howard the Duck sees it's DVD release sometime next year that Fox will release it and not Universal.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Great news, ... maybe that means Twice Upon a Time will see its way to DVD next year as well! Hopefully, with the original, unedited version!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks