What's new

My apartment was broken into today! (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I came home from work and entered my apartment through the back door, as normal. I set down some stuff that I was carrying and noticed that there were cables sticking out of my component rack. Then I realized that my DVD player was missing. I went to the front door and saw that it was broken. The thief/thieves took a crowbar to the door, basically splitting it half. The 2 deadbolts didn't help too much. I took a quick survey of the apartment and noticed that my Playstation 2 (and some PS2 accesories) were also gone.
I consider myself fairly lucky that more stuff wasn't taken and that my girlfriend and I are safe. The police figure the thief/thieves just wanted something to sell quickly. Now I have to deal with getting the door replaced, a renter's insurance claim (I'm so glad I got renter's insurance) and all the hastle. I also feel much less ecure than I did when I left for work this morning. I thought I lived in a safe building! Wish me luck...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about this, Chris. I remember when I had the lock pulled out and the stereo lifted from my car. It definitely makes you feel helpless (that is, until the next day when you just feel pissed off.) Like you said, at least you and your girlfriend are safe. Hope the claim goes smoothly.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ouch, that sucks. Even though you'll get your items back (let this be a lesson to renters everywhere: renter's insurance is a MUST. It's dirt cheap and you really cannot afford to be without it.), it's still got to suck big time. I have never had a home broken into but could not imagine the negative feelings that come along with it. Just knowing that there were 'bad guys' in my house rummaging through my stuff would bother me big time.
Hope everything works out for you. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Damn that sucks! Sorry to hear about this Chris. I tell you guys, I would not be responsable for my actions if I came home to find all 215 of my dvd's, PS2, and componants missing! They mean the world to me and I wouldn't want to think about what I would do in that situation, i'd probably start by putting my fist through the wall.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was the victim of a robbery while in college staying at a house renting a room.

The sense of anger from getting ripped off is pretty strong. I think I let out a few choice expletives in a very loud voice, but that's was about it. They ripped off 2 VCRs, and half of my CD collection. But it's best to be glad you're not hurt, and things can be replaced (the robbers did me a favor by stealing some of those CDs from me since I have had no desire to ever listen to them again, nor replace them).

I moved out of that place 2 weeks later into a newly purchased house. Timing, as they say, is everything.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Quick update:

I am getting a new front door today. I should be hearing from an insurance adjuster soon, as I have started the claims process. I am still in the pissed-off mode, but relieved that more stuff isn't missing and that we are safe. I am meeting with a police officer to get ideas for increasing security. I need to find out about turning my apartment into a panic room...

Thanks for the support!

-Chris

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
There is definitely a feeling of being violated...a rape of your domicile, if you will. I had my car broken into a few years ago...and it was such a horrible feeling. YOur abode wouild probably feel much much worse.

I am surprised someone stole John's 215 DVDs. They must have had a ton of time. It wouldn't seem worth the time and effort to take that kind of volume.

Julie K

Screenwriter
My house was broken into several years ago. (Where I live the thieves are careful to make sure the owners aren't home.) They didn't get too much, and later I got a big laugh over how they stole 2 broken VCRs, but it was a huge violation. I've read of other people getting their entire DVD collection stolen and that's really frightening.
I need to find out about turning my apartment into a panic room...
You want a safe room, not this so called 'panic room'....

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well, I've been victimized 3 times by robbers. In college 2 years ago, my TV, VCR, phone, N64, and my stereo was stolen. And my car has been broken into twice with the radio stolen both times. I know how you feel. The thing that pisses me off the most is the picture in my mind of the people actually stealing MY things.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I haven't had anybody break into my house, but I did have a co-worker steal between 70-80 of my cd's. I still don't know who the piece of trash was.:angry:

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I had my car broken into and a bunch of CDs stolen once. The funny thing was that I didn't notice it for about 2 weeks. I had a CD holder that held about 30 CDs that I couldn't find one day and I knew I never took it out of the car so it must have been stolen. I was so pissed, I just wanted to kill the bastard that took them. It wasn't really the idea of the CDs being gone, there just material items, it was the fact that I got fleeced by some piece of shit moron, that pissed me off the most.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I kicked a hole in my hole once because I couldn't connect to the internet, so I shudder to think what further destruction I would bring down on this house if anybody messed around with my DVD collection:angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
My condolences. At least you and yours are safe though.
It really pisses me off as well that we work so hard for the things we have, and then someone else decides it's easier to steal our hard-earned things rather than work to get it for themselves.
I like the old method of chopping theives' hands off. ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
With the possible exception of the thought expressed in his last sentence, I am in full agreement with Carlo's sentiments! (See, Carlo, I think DVD theft should be a capital offense! :))
And, Chris, sorry to hear about your problem. And it's great you have insurance.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Michael Lee,

my dvd collection has not been stolen. Read my post again. I do agree that I don't think any thief, one in a rush anyway, would steal that much volume.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear about the break-in Chris.

Just knowing scumbags were in my home would be enough to make me watch all of the Death Wish movies and fascinate about revenge.

In spite of our distaste for thieves isn’t it strange that we’re so fascinated by movies like The Godfather and series like The Sopranos?

Jay Taylor

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Chris just the thought of having my dvd collection stolen gives me nightmares!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about it. :frowning: I'm taking this as a sign that I need to get off my butt and finally get my renter's insurance.
If my DVD collection disappeared, I think I might just cry for a couple of days.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Damn I know how you feel. I remember my mom waking me up on Christmas morning two years ago and telling me that somebody broke into my car right before my friggin house on Christmas Eve. I went downstairs and was just standing in the broken glass of what used to be my front window and just wanting to kick somebody's ass. They stole my cds, my stereo and the sound system out of the car. I had to pay to get a new window put in and try and replace all the crap they stole. The messed up thing about it too was that the person or people who did it lived around me because they knew I had no alarm on my car and had a loud expensive system in the car. I chalk that one up to experience and leave it at that. But ever since that night I used to stay up and look out the window with a baseball bat just trying to catch them in the act again until I moved from the area. :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks