Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Let It Be" Reissue

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 06:47 AM

Great news for Beatles fans. In an article for USA Today, discussing his new tour, Paul McCartney made brief mention of a "Let It Be" reissue.

[quote]

He's especially excited about a budding Let It Be reissue. "We're cleaning up the film and going back to the original tape, before (producer) Phil Spector got hold of it," he says.

[quote]

Hopefully we'll see this on DVD before too long. Of course we're still waiting on the Hard Day's Night reissue, so I guess it could be a while.

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 08:02 AM

[quote]

We're cleaning up the film and going back to the original tape, before (producer) Phil Spector got hold of it

[quote]
This is actually news on 2 different fronts, since Phil Spector had nothing to do with the film mix, just the ALBUM'S mix. We know that the film's been cleaned up & looks amazing from the clips used on the Anthology laserdisc, but if Paul means that they will release the Get Back album as originally produced by George Martin & Glyn Johns, then this is incredible news indeed (however, PLEASE also remaster the Spector Let It Be AND the original Yellow Submarine album for posterity).

Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:36 AM

Hello all. This is excellent news for Beatle fans. My dream would to have all the 13 Beatle albums on DTS CD or another high resolution audio format (i don't have SACD or DVD-A yet...). I'm also very curious to see the film itself. From the bits they have on Anthology (thank you Laserdisc) it looks like tons of fun. Let's see Let it Be everyone!! AJ Garman "All you need is love." John Winston Lennon
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:47 AM

I have the original 'Get Back' mix, but would love a cleaner version. I'd also love the original mono versions of the albums up through the White Album, since those are the mixes that the most effort went to.

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:48 AM

Great news. This is one of the most sought after films for DVD or video release, as it has been off the market for over 20 years. The video store I use to manage had a Magnetic Video VHS of this film and people would come from all over to rent it. Boy, I'm so behind in my Beatles DVDs as I only own Yellow Submarine. Help is off the market. A Hard Day's Night has never reappeared and I'm still hoping that someone will release the Beatles Anthology. I need my Beatles fix!

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Kurt N

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:51 AM

I hope you were being sarcastic in calling Let It Be "tons of fun." I assure you, for Beatles fans, it was far from fun. It's an important film for lots of reasons, but watching Paul & George argue is not fun. What's amazing about LIB is that such amazing music came out of these sessions--and even more amazing is that Abbey Road followed. Still, I'd snarf it on disc (DVD and CD) immediately.
War doesn't determine who is right. War determines who is left.

my DVDs

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,497 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 03 2002 - 10:31 AM

Lets hope if the film, Let It Be is released, it's the proper 1.33:1 open matte version. The matted version is claustrophobic and even worse, is cropped on all four sides in the old video.

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:42 PM

This is news to me. I had been told by trustworthy people that one of the then remaining Beatles was dead set against making the film available. Now that we have lost George, suddenly it becomes a viable issue. Coincidence? Has the holdout been posthumously "outed" ? Am I to believe that Paul, the self-proclaimed "big brother" of the dearly departed George, is superceding his little brother's wishes and making this available again? Because I'm torn: on the one hand, yes, I'd love to have LET IT BE in my home again. But then, it does seem borderline sacrilegious that this would be coming on the heels of such a tragic loss for all us Beatle fans. I just hope MGM, Apple, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and company do this title right so that we don't get more intra-Beatle sniping.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 10:09 PM

[quote]

What's amazing about LIB is that such amazing music came out of these sessions

[quote]

In the Anthology, Paul surmised it showed the breakup of a group, instead of how they made the album. The rot had begun to set in during the White Album sessions. Twickenham was cold, sterile, and uncondusive to any productivity - the 90-plus hours of rehearsal footage at Twickenham which exist in countless bootlegs show the sheer boredom of the rehearsals, and much bickering. Only when they went to Saville Row to record in the studio did things get (somewhat) better. The rooftop concert which was planned at the last minute and taking up the last 25 minutes of the film is the payoff for sitting through 60 minutes of rambling, jamming and repetetiveness.

Sure it looks better thanks to the Anthology, but so does the Shea Stadium documentary footage, but it doesn't necessarily make the movie that much more enjoyable on the whole.

The Get Back album is interesting only for the fact that it is essentially like a legitimate reel of studio outtake bootlegs, with chatter, mistakes, and rough editing, most of which came from the first day at Saville Row, plus the Get Back single and one rooftop song.

Phil Spector's final product fares marginally better, but creative editing and overblown production value (on the McCartney ballads in particular) made the most hellish enviroment a more presentable package. Too bad it came out after the Beatles made the Abbey Road album. It didn't deserve to be the swan song it became.

Oh, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat, like the salivating dog that I am!!Posted Image
I don't like SPAM!

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,660 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 11:16 PM

In the latest issue of Beatlefan (rec'd just today) we have the following in the Devils Radio section:

"Unofficial word out of Abbey Road Studios is that work on remixing "The Beatles Anthology" into 5.1 Surround Sound was finished right before George (Harrison) died, and it's on its way on DVD with extra material. And out of Apple comes the leak that they're revisiting the "Let It Be" project with a DVD in mind that would include extra fimed interviews, including one with Neil Aspinall sans hat..."

Take it as you will. Posted Image

-paul

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 12:48 AM

[quote]

Phil Spector's final product fares marginally better, but creative editing and overblown production value (on the McCartney ballads in particular) made the most hellish enviroment a more presentable package.

[quote]

After hearing the 'proper' Macca-approved version of The Long And Winding Road on Anthology 3 CD I have to say I can hardly go near the Phil Spector version - way too sugary.

On the other hand, his looping of I Me Mine and his choice of guitar solo on Let It Be itself were good - certainly I prefer the album version of Let It Be to the George Martin single version...

I sooo want the Anthology series on DVD!!!

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 07:47 AM

When they did the tribute at the Oscars of people who passed away during the year, the clips for George had some clips from "Let It Be".I don't think they are the same clips on the laser disc Anthology? When will we see the following laser discs; The Compleat Beatles,119 min,(Remasted Digital Sound),MGM Ready Steady Go! The Beatles Live,20 min,Pioneer (12 video songs from the Ready Steady Go! British Show)

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 08:58 AM

Holding back Let it Be is a travesty. Even if George didn't want it released, I think it should be. It is OURS as much as it is THEIRS. Moreso possibly. I see a Magical Mystery Tour DVD floating about sometimes. whats up with that? OOP?

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,497 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 04 2002 - 09:05 AM

[quote]

I see a Magical Mystery Tour DVD floating about sometimes. whats up with that? OOP?

[quote]

I think MPI's contract with Apple has expired (Miramax now owns Help! and A Hard Day's Night) and the MPI DVD is awful. It looks like someone clipped their dog on top of the telecine.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 11:35 AM

Actually, Miramax owns only "A Hard Days Night". Apple remains in control of "Help" and "Let It Be" ("Yellow Submarine" has always been owned by United Artists...it was the music clearance with Apple that held up a video re-release for so long).

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,143 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 04 2002 - 11:44 AM

Apparently, there do not seem to be any early generation materials available for restoring/remastering Magical Mystery Tour into a decent quality film or video presentation. I'm not sure how these materials were lost or destroyed, but anyone who has seen the film could guess that the filmmakers would have some "short term memory issues" that could have led to it. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 02:26 PM

MMT was a cheapo made for TV film shown on the BBC and ABC (I believe in B&W the 1st time shown) Don't know how much they can clean it up Only film evidence of the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band as far as I know
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 09:36 PM

[quote]

It looks like someone clipped their dog on top of the telecine.

[quote]Nonetheless, it's worlds better than the old Media Home Entertainment VHS release... boy, that one looked and sounded pretty awful.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 05 2002 - 08:02 AM

When the MMT laserdisc 1st came out, it featured a brand new remix by Goerge Martin for Dolby Pro Logic. It included new space sounds mixed into the rear channel during the wizards segments and NEW SURROUND MIXES of the music tracks, including the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band track (Death Cab For Cutie) in separated surround. For instance, the song Magical Mystery Tour had a louder drum sound during the "it's an invitation" part, and bus sounds that went in a circle front to back. The remixing was commented very favorably upon by Martin & other Beatles during contemporary press mentions on the release. It sounded great. When the DVD came out, however, this new remix was GONE, replaced by a horrible STEREO mix which just used the Stereo tracks from the MMT record, with the rest of the soundtrack in MONO, including the Bonzos track (now with NO separation whatever). The problem is that the PICTURE on the DVD absolutely blows away the laserdisc picture (if you people think the DVD looks bad, you should see ANY other prior release of it, or should have seen the film versions we had to suffer through at Beatlefests in the 70s & 80s). so we now have a situation where the best sound is on the laser, but the best picture is on the DVD. since both the laser & DVD were on MPI, what the hell happened to the surround remix??? Did they just FORGET that they had it or what?
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   John Tillman

John Tillman

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted April 05 2002 - 08:57 AM

I recently picked up a used MMT Laser and agree with Larry that the video is really 'out there', while the audio is good. Don't think I want to be 12 or 13 again, but this kind of material certainly takes me back.
__
JT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users