What's new

Blazing Saddles DVD. Any info on quality of release? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I started to watch this on cable the other night and couldn't stop laughing thoroughout the film. I know there is a dvd out but I'm unaware of the content. Is the dvd presented in anamorphic widescreen? Is there any extras? How is the quality of the picture and what is the OAR?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The current DVD is actually great and has 16x9 2.35:1 widescreen and the original mono track. It had an awful-looking P&S transfer on the opposite side, which looks incredibly grainy. (What did you expect from a panned & scanned Panavision film?)

It has an audio interview track that lasts for about an hour with Mel Brooks, plus the theatrical trailer.

You can get it cheap at most stores...but...

It's been rumored that WB has a special edition in the works. While the transfer is great, it's probably could use a new transfer since the current transfer is slightly faded and has a little dirt. This is one of the last Technicolor films, so a remaster would be great.

I'd hold out for the SE, despite the current DVD being really inexpensive.

Steve-T

Grip
When I picked this up I was not expecting much for a 30 year old comedy. I was surprised to find the picture very pleasing. This is the greatest comedy of all time, I would find it hard to wait for an SE.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Personally I was disappointed in this DVD, as far as image quality goes. I thought there was some very annoying shimmering that I could not get used to.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There is something weird about the way this disc is flagged or something. ON my players the disc will "twitch" slightly every 3-4 seconds. It's like some sort of interlacing error where every 100th frame is wrong and is all combed.

I can't figure it out- it seemed to happen for me on a handful of early Warner titles-- but I have seen so few complaints about it, I wonder if it is a player/disc flagging issue that doesn't affect everyone.

Huh.

-Vince

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It's a good disc. The anamorphic picture is more than acceptable. There is a bit of horizontal edge shimmering, but it is nowhere near the worst I have seen.

There is a non-screen specific Mel Brooks commentary that is very good. It runs concurrent with the first 50 minutes or so of the film on a separate audio track. The free-form nature of the commentary actually makes for a better experience than the Young Frankenstein commentary as he talks only about the stuff he remembers well and there's no awkward attempts to make it fit the film's running time.

It's cheap enough that I wouldn't worry about the SE, which I have heard nothing firm about yet.

As a matter of fact, if you speak even a little Spanish or French, the alternate audio and subtitle tracks are an absolute hoot. Some of the jokes and ...err... impolite terminology defy conventional translation.

Regards,

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
First off, there is a Special Edition of "Blazing Saddles" out, but with good news and bad news.

The good news...

There is a trailer and a brand new documentary.

The bad news...

It is only availible on VHS and full frame only.

That's a bitch, isn't it?

Gary_E

Second Unit
Personally I was disappointed in this DVD, as far as image quality goes. I thought there was some very annoying shimmering that I could not get used to.
Yep, I see it too. Funny thing is I never noticed it until I got a 16:9 set. Watching it on a 4:3 set, the transfer looks very good but if I watch it on my WS set, it makes me dizzy.

TV: Toshiba 40H80

DVD: Panasonic RP-91

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've had this one for a while now. If I'd waited for the eventual SE, I'd have missed out on about 30 good laughs (multiplied by 2 screenings)! Can't wait for the SE though! (Anyone wanna buy Blazing Saddles for 10 bucks? :laugh: )

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I've seen extra scenes featuring Mongo and the Sheriff's battle of wits on TV that aren't on my VHS copy. Are these on the current DVD? Might they be on the new SE?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Brooks is not a big fan of the extra scenes from the TV version, but hopefully, he would not object to including them (in widescreen if possible) as deleted scenes on an SE. I can live without most of them myself, but if it were my film, I would George Lucas all of Bart's extra attempts at subduing Mongo back into the film. :)
Regards,

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Hey Ken --
Where did you get the information that Brooks isn't a big fan of the deleted scenes? Not sayin' you're wrong, it's just that I hadn't heard that before. I know he isn't a fan of the TV version because it's edited -- he said that on the commentary. So perhaps the extra scenes were added to make up time for the scenes that were deleted for TV due to content? I could see that being the case. But certainly they weren't filmed expressly for that purpose... so they're simply deleted scenes that are put back in as, well, filler, right?
I don't know if I would want deleted scenes as part of the movie presentation, but definitely as part of the extras on the disc! :emoji_thumbsup:
In any event, it's cool to see MB riding high again (on the wave of the Broadway success of "The Producers."). Now we need "High Anxiety," "Silent Movie," "The Producers," and "To Be Or Not To Be" on DVD!:D

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
"Spanish balloons?"

I remember the Tv version, when I was a kid I thought I was dreaming the extra clips, because when I rented Blazing Saddles for our first VCR, they weren't in the movie. Hopefully Mel will put them in, either right into the movie itself or as outtakes/deleted scenes.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've seen extra scenes featuring Mongo and the Sheriff's battle of wits on TV that aren't on my VHS copy. Are these on the current DVD? Might they be on the new SE?
No, these extra scenes (which were added in for the TV release) are NOT on the current DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks