Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Blazing Saddles DVD. Any info on quality of release?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:03 PM

I started to watch this on cable the other night and couldn't stop laughing thoroughout the film. I know there is a dvd out but I'm unaware of the content. Is the dvd presented in anamorphic widescreen? Is there any extras? How is the quality of the picture and what is the OAR?

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,480 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:26 PM

The current DVD is actually great and has 16x9 2.35:1 widescreen and the original mono track. It had an awful-looking P&S transfer on the opposite side, which looks incredibly grainy. (What did you expect from a panned & scanned Panavision film?) It has an audio interview track that lasts for about an hour with Mel Brooks, plus the theatrical trailer. You can get it cheap at most stores...but... It's been rumored that WB has a special edition in the works. While the transfer is great, it's probably could use a new transfer since the current transfer is slightly faded and has a little dirt. This is one of the last Technicolor films, so a remaster would be great. I'd hold out for the SE, despite the current DVD being really inexpensive.

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Steve-T

Steve-T

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 11:02 PM

When I picked this up I was not expecting much for a 30 year old comedy. I was surprised to find the picture very pleasing. This is the greatest comedy of all time, I would find it hard to wait for an SE.

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 05:58 AM

Personally I was disappointed in this DVD, as far as image quality goes. I thought there was some very annoying shimmering that I could not get used to.
My DVD list

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:07 AM

There is something weird about the way this disc is flagged or something. ON my players the disc will "twitch" slightly every 3-4 seconds. It's like some sort of interlacing error where every 100th frame is wrong and is all combed. I can't figure it out- it seemed to happen for me on a handful of early Warner titles-- but I have seen so few complaints about it, I wonder if it is a player/disc flagging issue that doesn't affect everyone. Huh. -Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
I'd hold out for the SE, despite the current DVD being really inexpensive.
Words to live by! I had seen the Limted Edition Collector's Set at amazon.com and decided that was just overkill, so I'm happy to hear the rumor of a "simple" SE coming.
Blücher!

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,095 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 03 2002 - 10:17 AM

It's a good disc. The anamorphic picture is more than acceptable. There is a bit of horizontal edge shimmering, but it is nowhere near the worst I have seen. There is a non-screen specific Mel Brooks commentary that is very good. It runs concurrent with the first 50 minutes or so of the film on a separate audio track. The free-form nature of the commentary actually makes for a better experience than the Young Frankenstein commentary as he talks only about the stuff he remembers well and there's no awkward attempts to make it fit the film's running time. It's cheap enough that I wouldn't worry about the SE, which I have heard nothing firm about yet. As a matter of fact, if you speak even a little Spanish or French, the alternate audio and subtitle tracks are an absolute hoot. Some of the jokes and ...err... impolite terminology defy conventional translation. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted April 03 2002 - 03:34 PM

First off, there is a Special Edition of "Blazing Saddles" out, but with good news and bad news. The good news... There is a trailer and a brand new documentary. The bad news... It is only availible on VHS and full frame only. That's a bitch, isn't it?
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 04:56 PM

Quote:
Personally I was disappointed in this DVD, as far as image quality goes. I thought there was some very annoying shimmering that I could not get used to.
Yep, I see it too. Funny thing is I never noticed it until I got a 16:9 set. Watching it on a 4:3 set, the transfer looks very good but if I watch it on my WS set, it makes me dizzy. TV: Toshiba 40H80 DVD: Panasonic RP-91

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 12:43 PM

The 'Bits just announced release of a SE "sometime in 2002"Posted Image

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 04:11 PM

I've had this one for a while now. If I'd waited for the eventual SE, I'd have missed out on about 30 good laughs (multiplied by 2 screenings)! Can't wait for the SE though! (Anyone wanna buy Blazing Saddles for 10 bucks? Posted Image )

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 04 2002 - 09:03 PM

I've seen extra scenes featuring Mongo and the Sheriff's battle of wits on TV that aren't on my VHS copy. Are these on the current DVD? Might they be on the new SE?
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,095 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 05 2002 - 05:49 AM

Brooks is not a big fan of the extra scenes from the TV version, but hopefully, he would not object to including them (in widescreen if possible) as deleted scenes on an SE. I can live without most of them myself, but if it were my film, I would George Lucas all of Bart's extra attempts at subduing Mongo back into the film. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted April 05 2002 - 07:04 AM

Hey Ken --

Where did you get the information that Brooks isn't a big fan of the deleted scenes? Not sayin' you're wrong, it's just that I hadn't heard that before. I know he isn't a fan of the TV version because it's edited -- he said that on the commentary. So perhaps the extra scenes were added to make up time for the scenes that were deleted for TV due to content? I could see that being the case. But certainly they weren't filmed expressly for that purpose... so they're simply deleted scenes that are put back in as, well, filler, right?

I don't know if I would want deleted scenes as part of the movie presentation, but definitely as part of the extras on the disc! Posted Image

In any event, it's cool to see MB riding high again (on the wave of the Broadway success of "The Producers."). Now we need "High Anxiety," "Silent Movie," "The Producers," and "To Be Or Not To Be" on DVD!Posted Image
Spoiler tags are cool.

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted April 05 2002 - 08:24 AM

For $15.00, buy it! No brainer.

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,805 posts

Posted April 05 2002 - 12:33 PM

As an owner of the current disc, I'd say to wait for the SE.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 08:49 AM

Anybody heard an update on the SE rumor?
Blücher!

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   LeeL

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 11:01 AM

"Spanish balloons?" I remember the Tv version, when I was a kid I thought I was dreaming the extra clips, because when I rented Blazing Saddles for our first VCR, they weren't in the movie. Hopefully Mel will put them in, either right into the movie itself or as outtakes/deleted scenes.
Make everyday a celebration of your love.
Surprise her with pasta salad.
Put a mini-beret on your wang.

My Collection

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted May 15 2002 - 02:35 PM

Quote:
I've seen extra scenes featuring Mongo and the Sheriff's battle of wits on TV that aren't on my VHS copy. Are these on the current DVD? Might they be on the new SE?
No, these extra scenes (which were added in for the TV release) are NOT on the current DVD.

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted July 22 2002 - 06:43 PM

Is there any new news to this title being updated?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow