Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

STARSHIP TROOPERS 2-disc specs announced

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason_S

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:57 PM

At DVDFile.com:

http://www.dvdfile.c....oopers_se.html

My 2 cents: Almost, but not quite what we deserve. No Superbit & no DTS. Are we asking too much when we ask for Superbit treatment and DTS?

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Mick Wright

Mick Wright

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:10 PM

I see nothing worthy of an upgrade.
"What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes."

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Daniel P

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:39 PM

I don't have the existing region 1 version of Starship Troopers, so can someone please tell me what's new to this new special edition??

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Skoobooz

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:44 PM

I'm actually quite happy with this, and am not entirely sure why everyone (so far) is complaining. So there's no DTS...oh well. There is such thing as a good, or even great, Dolby 5.1 track. As for it being a Superbit, I have not, as of yet, been impressed by the Superbit releases. And in answer to Daniel P's question, just about everything (except I think Paul Verhoeven had a commentary track on the original). I am quite happy with Columbia/Tri-Star on this one (though it still doesn't make up for pan and scan only releases...).

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   DarrenA

DarrenA

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:50 PM

Well I for wished it had been a Superbit title as the Superbit monoker does mean a quality image and DTS sound. But alas, the mere fact that this version is RSDL means there is that much more room to allocate for bit space, which is usually a good thing.
Darren Alcorn
The Academy Home Theater, Atlanta Home Theater Group

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Daniel P

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Jeremy, and I decided to do some further research myself, and found the following results for those interested: Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation - old Commentary by Paul Verhoeven and Cast Members - new Commentary by Paul Verhoeven and Ed Neumeier - old Isolated Score - new Deleted Scenes - old Documentary: "Death from Above" - new Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes - old Screen Tests - old Scene Deconstructions by Paul Verhoeven - old Special Effects Comparisons for Eight Sequences - new English 5.1 Dolby Digital - old In my book, with the lack of a dts track (although the Dolby mix is still exceptional), I can't see a reason for anyone to upgrade. I think I'll get the region 4 Special Edition for $18 AUD (about $9 USD).

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:58 PM

[quote]

Remastered in High Definition and Anamorphic Video

[quote]

Is this new? CTHV. Probably not. Posted Image
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:09 AM

It may be dual layer now, but they crammed a lot more stuff on that dual layer DVD, which may negate the possibility of raising the bitrate for the film, which may leave us with the same exact transfer as on the original DVD release Posted Image

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:14 AM

Am I the only person excited by the isolated score? This is a great score. Now I'm torn. I don't watch the film enough to justify 2 copies, but the complete score isolated is tempting. Neil

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:26 AM

I am realy dissapointed with reading these specs Posted Image

The fact that there is no DTS on it and no more new features makes me say that I won't be buying this one.

I have a feeling that we will see at least a Superbit release of this one still , maybe even a Superbit Deluxe.
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#11 of 19 ONLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,654 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 03 2002 - 04:47 AM

I'll be buying it again, I love this movie, and also a huge fan of Basil Poledouris, so I would buy it again just for the isolated score.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted April 03 2002 - 08:32 AM

I will also be buying this again just to have the isolated score.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 10:35 AM

Daniel, Thanks for the special feature comparison. You saved me from having to pull the DVD out tonight to figure out what was new. I really hope that they don't leave anything off from the existing release. I really enjoy this film so I'll be getting the new release. Gregory

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:38 PM

New commentary and isolated score. I'll buy the new one for sure.
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 03:52 PM

I'll definitely get it. It sounds like a lovely release. I hope the Verhoeven/Neumeier commentary is the same one from the old disc - it'd let me sell off my current copy of the film with no regrets.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 04:13 PM

I was hoping for a DTS track. Guess I won't buy this one.
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 06:44 PM

As much as I love this movie (due to my love of Heinlein and the book - and no, these aren't mutually exclusive), I will not be getting this. Not enough.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 06:55 PM

I am still on the fence with this one. if it was sb with dts, this would be a no brainer. I will have to see what the price is on street date.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 07:06 PM

I too am on the fence regarding this one. The original disc is great. Why double dip if they won't make it a Superbit Deluxe title? I'm sure that a few months down the road, we are going to see a Superbit Deluxe version...how can they not as it is the perfect candidate for it. Decisions, Decisions......Posted Image
Recently watched- Guardians Of The Galaxy 3D, Ender's Game, Escape From L.A., Highlander 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Escape From New York, The Interview, Trancers, Don Jon, Under Fire, Major Dundee: Extended Version, Brannigan, Used Cars, Hard Times, The Mechanic(1972), The Dogs Of War, Fast & Furious 6

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Well now I'm standing. Happy? . We're all standing now. Bunch of jackasses. Standing in a circle."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users