What's new

STARSHIP TROOPERS 2-disc specs announced (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the existing region 1 version of Starship Troopers, so can someone please tell me what's new to this new special edition??

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I'm actually quite happy with this, and am not entirely sure why everyone (so far) is complaining. So there's no DTS...oh well. There is such thing as a good, or even great, Dolby 5.1 track. As for it being a Superbit, I have not, as of yet, been impressed by the Superbit releases. And in answer to Daniel P's question, just about everything (except I think Paul Verhoeven had a commentary track on the original). I am quite happy with Columbia/Tri-Star on this one (though it still doesn't make up for pan and scan only releases...).

DarrenA

Second Unit
Well I for wished it had been a Superbit title as the Superbit monoker does mean a quality image and DTS sound. But alas, the mere fact that this version is RSDL means there is that much more room to allocate for bit space, which is usually a good thing.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy, and I decided to do some further research myself, and found the following results for those interested:
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation - old
Commentary by Paul Verhoeven and Cast Members - new
Commentary by Paul Verhoeven and Ed Neumeier - old
Isolated Score - new
Deleted Scenes - old
Documentary: "Death from Above" - new
Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes - old
Screen Tests - old
Scene Deconstructions by Paul Verhoeven - old
Special Effects Comparisons for Eight Sequences - new
English 5.1 Dolby Digital - old
In my book, with the lack of a dts track (although the Dolby mix is still exceptional), I can't see a reason for anyone to upgrade. I think I'll get the region 4 Special Edition for $18 AUD (about $9 USD).

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
It may be dual layer now, but they crammed a lot more stuff on that dual layer DVD, which may negate the possibility of raising the bitrate for the film, which may leave us with the same exact transfer as on the original DVD release :D

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Am I the only person excited by the isolated score? This is a great score. Now I'm torn. I don't watch the film enough to justify 2 copies, but the complete score isolated is tempting.

Neil

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I am realy dissapointed with reading these specs :frowning:
The fact that there is no DTS on it and no more new features makes me say that I won't be buying this one.
I have a feeling that we will see at least a Superbit release of this one still , maybe even a Superbit Deluxe.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'll be buying it again, I love this movie, and also a huge fan of Basil Poledouris, so I would buy it again just for the isolated score.:emoji_thumbsup:

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Daniel,

Thanks for the special feature comparison. You saved me from having to pull the DVD out tonight to figure out what was new. I really hope that they don't leave anything off from the existing release. I really enjoy this film so I'll be getting the new release.

Gregory

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'll definitely get it. It sounds like a lovely release. I hope the Verhoeven/Neumeier commentary is the same one from the old disc - it'd let me sell off my current copy of the film with no regrets.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
As much as I love this movie (due to my love of Heinlein and the book - and no, these aren't mutually exclusive), I will not be getting this. Not enough.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I am still on the fence with this one.

if it was sb with dts, this would be a no brainer.

I will have to see what the price is on street date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks