What's new

: ( Disappointed. No DTS on the Black Hawk Down DVD (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
According to the DVDFile.com website, there will be no DTS on the upcoming Black Hawk Down DVD :frowning:
Who will not buy this version because it does not have DTS? Are you going to wait for a possible Superbit version to be released to get your DTS for this film?

Troy

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Having not heard the Dolby Digital version yet, I think it's a bit premature to decry the lack of a DTS track.

- Steve

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I can't understand it. Now that Columbia is supporting DTS, we get no DTS on this incredible movie called Black Hawk Down. We all know the extra benefit this would be in the sound department for a film like this.

Are we to wait til a Superbit or SE of this film comes out later in the year in hopes of a DTS track?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since Ridley is an ardent DTS supporter, I would guess that it was a space issue

EDIT: Looking at the specs, and the fact that Charlie DeLauzerika(sp?) has talked about the cool stuff he's working on, I smell SE this fall

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Just remember thta Star Wars: Episode I doesn't have DTS and it sounds freakin' amazing!! I'm sure that BHD will too sound just fine in DD5.1. I'm not worried at all!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
blackhawk_boxbacklg.jpg

Yup. No DTS.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Disappointed? Yes. But I won't let that affect my decision. This is one of my favorite films of the year, and I'll still purchase it.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm holding out til a Superbit or SE is released and hopefully it will have a DTS track on it. Til then, nope not budging ! :angry:

DanR

Supporting Actor
Yes, looking at the specs for this Black Hawk Down DVD release, it's quite clear that this is NOT Charlie de Lauzirika and Ridley Scott's Special Edition DVD. They are most likely taking some extra time to get some supplements including the veterans of this event. Plus, it's clear the lack of a Ridley Scott commentary means this is an initial stab by CTHV to release *something*.
Not sure what I'm going to do. Perhaps Charlie can chime in and let us know what's going on here...
Regards,
Dan

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Aw. I want DTS on this one!

I will still buy it and I am a big DTS supporter. This was still a great, GREAT movie and the DD track will most likely be of reference quality anyway.

If it does come out again with DTS, Ill buy this one again for sure.

DarrenA

Second Unit
If it does come out again with DTS, Ill buy this one again for sure.
I agree completely! If their is one thing I have learned about collecting my favorite movies on DVD, it's that I will always own the version that has the best picture and/or sound quality. In the grand scheme of money spent on the construction materials, furniture and A/V equipment in my HT, to re-purchase a DVD for $20 is a small price to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I really wish the initial version of Black Hawk Down was the Superbit version. But, knowing that Col/TriStar only releases Superbit titles after the initial release has been available for several months, are we really surprised by this news?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No DTS, so what? I saw this in DD at the theater and it was one of the best sound mixes i've ever heard, the dvd should be accurate to that presentation.
I guess the diehard DTS devotees have no DD titles in their collections huh?
I'll never understand swearing complete loyalty to one sound format over another, especially when those individuals havn't even heard the DD track yet! :confused:

DanR

Supporting Actor
Everyone shouldn't be too concerned here. DTS or not, this is clearly just a "stop-gap" release by Columbia Tri-Star. The real concern we should have here is when the "real" DVD is going to be released.
I'm sure that the Special Edition DVD will have at least one commentary and probably DTS (Ridley Scott allegedly made MGM/UA allow DTS on Hannibal). It will probably have a few documentaries and some newly created material on the events as well.
CTHV is pricing this 6/11 version @ $24.95 which clearly a low price, meaning a non-special edition DVD. We'll have to wait for the official press release to see if they mention the "real" DVD as coming later this year. What would REALLY piss me off is if CTHV leaves us hanging with no mention of the "real" DVD...
Regards,
Dan

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So, has it been confirmed that another version is in the works? If so, this makes no sense at all. Same thing with all these different 'LOTR' dvd's coming out. It's a great movie, but come on.

EDIT: Dan, I think you just answered my question.

YANG

Screenwriter
I too feel that this release without DTS surround is pity.This makes me look forward for the future release of BLACK HAWK DOWN in S.E or SUPERBIT DELUXE editions.

I will possibly give this a miss...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is the first time in my life where I may actually hold off on this release because I want extras since this was an actual, real-life story. Normally, I don't care about extras, but on this movie, they are important to me.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, Colummbia has made many reference quality soundtracks, for example the "A Knights Tale" DVD sounds awesome, i saw it in theaters with SDDS and it sounded pretty good, better than Dolby, but not as good as DTS, because i loved this movie so much, i saw it 3 times, the first with SDDS, then on Dolby, then on DTS, but yet, this is pretty much a barebones release, and i am pretty sure there will be a special edition or superbit deluxe in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks