Photo

Will the Dish Network and DirectTV merge leave existing STB useless?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 10:52 AM

I am considering buying the Pannny DirectTV/HDTV decoder and am wondering if I should be waiting till the merge happens and we know what format will be used. Is there any risk of this unit not working, or can we assume the the units will either be replaced or converted to working in the new format they come up with?

Ready to buy this ASAP pending the responses I get here.

Thanks.

Gregg
My Home Theater

#2 of 6 Art Morales

Art Morales

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:23 PM

You might try posting your question at dbsforums.com

#3 of 6 Philip____S

Philip____S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:05 PM

You might try reading the info on DIRECTV's website (http://www.directv.c...utus/Merger.jsp) to get a better idea. The FAQ includes the following:

Will DIRECTV or DISH Network equipment be the new standard?
No decision has been made on the equipment standard. But if you were to need new equipment to get the DIRECTV® services you currently enjoy, we would provide it at no charge.

What will happen to the DIRECTV High Definition services?
Expansion of our High Definition service offerings is one option we will explore when the merger is finalized. In addition, if a change in equipment is needed to allow a customer currently receiving High Definition services to continue to receive those services after the merger, we will provide the equipment at no cost.

#4 of 6 Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Phillip.

That's what I needed to hear.
My Home Theater

#5 of 6 Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
we would provide it at no charge... we will provide the equipment at no cost
This is probably one of the things that bugs me most about the proposed merger. As a DirecTV subscriber, I have a CHOICE of equipment. Different manufacturers, different options, and different quality levels.

My fear is that once the merger takes place and they start to replace equipment, it's gonna be "you get what we give you and you'll like it"... just like the cable company. Posted Image "You like the remote better on that piece of equipment better than the one we gave you? Too bad."

If they end up replacing equipment, everyone is going to get the same cheap junk that was furnished by the lowest bidder. Posted Image

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#6 of 6 John Tillman

John Tillman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 04:57 AM

With SD in slow decline and HD in slow incline, I look forward to the next generation of HD receivers.

From what I've read, if the merger goes through, replacement gear will be manufactured by multiple companies like JVC or RCA/Thomson.

Some people don't care for JVC, but I've found the upgradeable Dish 6000 to be a great unit as it offers stretch algorithms (authored by Dishnetwork) unavailable on other boxes. I found they stand behind their product too, replacing my 6000 & OTA card with zero hassle.

I've never had Direct (would love to get the crossover of services), maybe some people can chime in with their RCA/Thompson experiences.
__
JT