What's new

Memento: Best Film of the Year (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was able to pick up this Disc this weekend (Love those Street Violator's Especially on a long Weekend) And it not an understatement that this is the best film of the year. In what has really been a dry year for good movies, if this film does not garner some award nod's then the Academy is truly blind. Do yourself a favor and at least give it a rent, you will not be dissapointed.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Best film of the last TWO years, I say! When I try to weigh it against 1999's films, that's where things get fuzzy.....
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
How can you possibly claim that it's the best film of the year, unless you've seen them all? Or do you mean it's the best film you've seen this year?
Anyways, I'd be more inclined to choose In the Mood for Love as the best film I've seen that came out (in the US) this year. I liked Memento quite a bit, but the second time I watched it, I found it to be a little lacking. In the Mood for Love, however, impressed me more the second and third times I saw it. In any case, as much as I did like Memento, if it were my favorite of the year, that would say less about the film and more about what a poor year it was for films. Certainly I enjoyed other films in recent years more.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Memento came out around Sep last year in the UK and that also why we get the Special Edition dvd.
Its about time we get one over on you lot
wink.gif

Cheers :)
------------------
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
CLICK HERE

Jeff Wright

Auditioning
MEMENTO bored me. Too much repetition of footage. It underestimated its audience, and that annoyed me. Not much going for it other than its structure, either. Not to say that any of the performances were bad. They just weren't great.
The best two films I've seen this year are MOULIN ROUGE and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. I think I'd give MOULIN ROUGE the slight edge, but they're both amazing films that everyone should see.
Though I have a feeling that once I see ICHI THE KILLER in a couple of weeks, it shall reign supreme over the year.
Jeff

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Best film of the last TWO years, I say! When I try to weigh it against 1999's films, that's where things get fuzzy.....
My thoughts exactly. I would have a difficult time choosing my favorite among "American Beauty", "Magnolia", "Fight Club", and "Memento".

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Too much repetition of footage in Memento? I bet if you added up all the repeated footage it would be about 1 minute of its 100+ running time.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Picked up Memento this weekend, and one word sums it up, Brilliant!
Guy Pierce was awesome as Leonard, and how he kept this charactor straight in his own head is nothing short of amazing! Writing this film must have been an absolute nightmare!
I have to watch this film again though because i'm not 100% sure of what happened. Usually I hate films that confuse me, but in this case it's too intriguing to me, I have to figure it out.
And yes, I would agree that it's one of the best films of the year, right along with The Others.
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to the DVD release of Memento for just this very reason:
It allows everyone to see a movie that may not have graced your local googolplex. I'm expecting the whole "Wow! Memento was..." discussions to kick back up in full force, much like when it was out in the theaters.
After watching the movie for a second time, I'd also agree that it's the best movie of 2001...so far, anyway. I'm betting this dark-horse gets an Oscar nomination for Best Picture...
Anyone with me on that prediction?
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I usually buy movies sight-unseen, but after purchasing Wonder Boys and hating it, I put a halt to that practice for a while. I wanted to buy Memento sight-unseen but I was still a little worried that it may not live up to the hype. So, with a free rental card I won at a local video store, I rented it...and I must say, it would've been an EASY sight-unseen purchase. In fact, I would've bought it at Walmart tonight after watching it but 20 bucks is a bit much when I've seen it for 15 and so forth online. I will definitely buy it though. If this one doesn't at least get a few Oscar nod...well, it'll just be a complete shame.
My current favorite film of the year, bar-none. See this movie!

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
Now, the trickier part is ranking Memento with the others mentioned: Fight Club, Magnolia, American Beauty.. and yes,...even Moulin Rouge
Nothing tricky about it. All these movies rank behind Gladiator, the real BEST movie of the past two years. In fact, after seeing Memento and Moulin Rouge, I would rank them behind Traffic also. After seeing the top movies so far in this lackluster year, it has only served to solidify, validate and vindicate Gladiator as a worthy Oscar Best Picture Winner.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Yeah this movie was just OK for me, the reason was mentioned above, which is that this movie underestimated the viewers. There was many things that didn't make sense with respect to his ability to remember certain things and not others. Supposedly he can remember by repetition and use his instinct to guide him in the times following. He wakes up in an anonymous hotel room and always checks the drawers to find nothing, but finds a gun this time. Whenever teddy comes over he somehow remembers to reach back into the drawer and know the gun is there. He shouldn't have known a gun was there because he only had looked in the drawer when he woke up because of repetition, he had no futher reason to be looking in the drawer.
Another point which I found didn't make sense was that he felt he could do anything because he couldn't feel fear because he would keep forgetting which would make him have no anticipation of the acts he is about to commit. Well for this to be possible that would mean that he couldn't remember even for a second, but in the movie it shows that he can remember for periods of a few minutes. Well in this time it is enough for him to realize he is about to do a harmful act and to feel fear. He will also remember that is going to kill someone or at least going to severely injure someone everytime he looks at the note Natalie gave him. In these minutes he has comprehension and will feel fear.
Another thing that is interesting to note is that he forgot that he was being chased. He was in fear for his life and was in the flight response mode, but unusually whenever he was beating up people etc he was in the fight mode and he would not forget ie in the process of grappling with somebody and he doesn't forget why and just stop fighting, but whenever he is running he forgets.
Aaron

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this film.
I think its a great achievement and Nolan has alot to be proud of.
I was thinking about it for hours afterwards running it all back and forth in my brain, and I think he did a great job on it.
4 stars and EASILY the best thing Ive seen in a while.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
in the movie it shows that he can remember for periods of a few minutes
but whenever he is running he forgets
You have to understand that Leonard's condition is based on a real memory disorder (although quite rare). I don't think you can make an assertion such as "whenever he is running he forgets", because it isn't known what triggers the memory loss every time. Sometimes Leonard can remember several minutes at a time, sometimes only seconds. I don't think the movie would be more realistic if Leonard's memory only lasted exactly 3 minutes every time. From what I was able to observe from the film, his memory usually "blanks" after he is severely distracted (or very afraid), or simply after enough time has elapsed.

Matt Vielkind

Auditioning
Momento is easily the best movie of 2001, but unfortunatly its lack luster box office performance will cause the MPAA to overlook yet another fantastic film for a best picutre nod. Well I hope that changes this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks