What's new

Is Lord of the Rings (animated) a good movie? (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
I'm looking for fan and non-fan opinions. I have seen it once long ago, but I don't remember it at all. With the DVD coming out soon I was wondering if it is worth a purchase. I'm reading the books and I'm in the middle of Two Towers and I kind of want to see how the animated version was, but I won't if it's not worth it.
Thanks,
Kyle
P.S. What about the Hobbit and Return of the King(TV)? How do they measure up?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Imagine the worst thing that you can do to a great story and that’s what you get from Bakshi’s version. Weak animation, horrible rotoscoping tests and unimaginative backgrounds. The only thing about this, is that the score is even worse! I honestly don’t understand the few who say they enjoy it!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
When I finally got around to watching this film a few months ago, I found it interesting, but somewhat leaden and monotonous as it wore on. However, part of this may have been due to the rather dark and murky VHS transfer I was suffering through.
As I recall, it is reasonably faithful adaptation, in that little of note from the story is completely excised, but of course it only gets as far as Helm's Deep before it stops - roughly halfway through the novel. Bakshi was never given a chance to complete the story, and the studio balked at giving the film a proper "Part One" subtitle.
The animation is standard Bakshi. Some dig rotoscoping, and some (or perhaps most) don't. Ultimately, the most lasting image from the film may be its well-known poster artwork.
Overall, it might be more entertaining under the influence of some sort of psychedelic. Whether that's a compliment or a criticism I leave to you to decide.
--Jefferson Morris

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, chemicals do enhance the experience of viewing the animated Lord of the Rings.
The film is... interesting. It is faithful enough to the story. It only covers the first book and half of the second. There are some really cool looking moments, and some clunkers. Sam Gamgee looks like an ass. The Balrog looks like a nightmare born out of an acid trip.
The weirdest part is the background colors. It looks like the laser show at a Pink Floyd concert. The sky just changes color for no reason. It hurts my eyes.
The Hobbit and Return of the King are kids cartoons. They're made by a completely different company and production team (I think). Basically, picture Disney meets Tolkien. There's actually a scene where Orcs sing. I swear.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
There's a lot of hate out there for this film, I've encountered a lot of it over the years. I persoanlly enjoy the film. It's not great by any stretch of the word, but it was a valliant effort. The adaption is fairly accurate, although simplified a great deal, the animation is decent, and the character design, in general, is very nice. Bakshi's biggest failing is of course his complete reliance on rotoscoping, and it is overused to the extreme in this film. Overall though, if you're a fan of the books, then it's certainly worth a look. From what I understand this dvd is going to be fairly inexpensive, so picking it up will be worth your while.
As for the Hibbit and Return of the king, The Hobbit is a decent adaption with some pleasant animation and a decent performance form the voice actors. The Return of the King is absolute garbage, almost unwatchable.
Anyways, just my two cents.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There are many faults with the film, both as a movie and in relation to the book (lots of errors, including calling Saruman 'Aruman' for a while and getting the history of ring incorrect), though I still find it an engaging watch on the rare occassion it makes it to TV over here. If Warner would do the DVD properly I'd buy it.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm a huge fan of Bakshi's 'Lord of the Rings', it's a shame he never finished the story.
I thought it really captured the atmosphere of the books, the music was great, and the character voices were absolutely perfect.
The rotoscoping was fine I thought and suited it very well.
I've probably seen it about 70-80 times on tape.
I cannot wait for the DVD.
I've seen it listed as a 2-disc SE over here on Region 2, Nov 2001, mmmmmm.
drool.gif

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I really like it, however I didn't feel that way the first time I watched it. I didn't really care for it all the first time, but then I came back and watched it again, and again, and again, and now I really enjoy it.
Give it some time.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Read The Lord of the Rings
Buy LOTR-Bakshi on DVD
Scream blasphemy and burn said DVD
Wait another 107 days
Watch PJ's part 1
Sigh with contentment(of course, if PJ blasphemed I'll be burning his movie too
biggrin.gif
)
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on August 31, 2001 at 10:27 PM]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bakshi's Lord of the Ring adaptation wasn't very good but it certainly isn't a total loss. Most of his other movies are even worse....like "WIZARDS". Vaughn Bode would roll over if he was able to see the pathetic rip of his style that Bakshi did.
As for PJ's version....who knows.....but I would like to know what kind of animated trilogy could have been made if someone had forked over 300 million(?), like he got.
------------------

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ben
Sorry. Maybe I am sounding too harsh when I refer to "WIZARDS" the way I did. I wanted to give the film a chance, especially since some of the character designs seem to have a Vaughn Bode influence but I could not get over the impression that Bakshi wasn't sure just who he was making this film for. Sometimes it was extremely adult with the depiction of violence and then all of a sudden it seemed to turn 180 degrees and become something aimed at children. For me, it was bizarre and too helter skelter storywise. I am recollecting this film hazily because the one viewing I had of it, was enough. The duel between the wizards at the end particularly pissed me off.....personally, for me, it was dumb. I am glad that you liked the film and I certainly wouldn't diss you for it because I am sure that a lot of films I like would be thought of as bad by lots of people. I may find the courage one day to actually pick it up and watch it again....just not any time soon.
laugh.gif

------------------

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Loved 'Wizards' (1977) and loved Ralph Bakshi's 'Fire & Ice'(1983) too, an excellent animated fantasy, and very violent, are these on DVD?

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately Steve, not yet.
frown.gif
Although Wizards was released recently on vhs, and still can be had I think, Fire and Ice has been out of print forever. Neither are even close to being released to dvd, I'm afraid. Hopefully, LOTR, and Fritz the Cat (MGM, Nov.) will kind of spur Fox (Wizards) and whoever has rights to Fire and Ice to fall in line.
Edwin, it's cool. Lots of people hate Bakshi for ripping verious artists off. He basically comes up with ideas to use other peoples creations (Bode/Wizards, Crumb/Fritz the Cat, etc.) and seems to always have a falling out with the creators over money. I have no idea how much of that is myth and how much is true. I can say that I partied with Bode's son a few years back (Mark?) at a comic convention. Very cool guy, but didn't want to hear about Bakshi at all. When I brought him up, he just clammed up, and looked as if he were truly struggling not to get ugly about it. Aside from the retribution issue, most people hat Bakshi for his reliance on the roto-scope process. I personally like it, but yeah, you basically trace over live action. The thing is that his vision is still valid, I think. I look at Bakshi more as a "producer" rather than an actual animator. I can also see the point about Wizards not really knowing where it's going; hell, most of Bakshis work is this way. His stories are not that masterfully crafted, as the pacing is extremely uneven, and some things just get left undone as the movies end. But all that aside, I still think they are funny, captivating, exciting, witty movies, which look great. Damn... I need a Bakshi fix!
Be cool.

KyleK

Second Unit
Is "rotoscoping" putting animation over live actors?
------------------
"Crime doesn't pay, except for when you steal money."
[Edited last by KyleK on September 02, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

Brian E

Screenwriter
It's been so long since I've seen this that I don't remember much. I'm buying it because I'm a huge LOTR fan so should find something of value, even though I don't remember much I seem to remember liking some parts, and since it's 16x9 to show support for a "family title" WS release.
------------------
-Brian
http://www.brianeberling.com/collection.html

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would also like to know exactly what is involved in rotoscoping?
Thanks,
Seb
------------------
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
Few mortal eyes have seen the light
That lies there ever, long and bright.
Galadriel! Galadriel!
Clear is the water of your well;
White is the star in your white hand;
Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Rotoscoping is a process created by the Fleischer brothers in which live action film frames are projected on to the animation desk. The live action image is then traced by the animator and the film advanced to the next frame. This gives the animation a more "life like" quality, if that's the right word. It's used quite frequently by Don Bluth, and to a lesser extent Disney. Once you know what to look for it's easy to spot. One of the big corner cuts that Bakshi employed on LOTR was to xerox live action frames and colour them in and use them as animation. Most noticeable with the orcs and the Prancing pony patrons.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks