What's new

*** Official 2002 Major League Baseball Season Thread (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Here's to the start of the 2002 baseball season.
Who's excited? I certainly am - I'm hoping that the St.Louis Cardinals go all the way this year, getting past the flavor of the year team (grumbling about the Diamondbacks). It's a bit harder to pick the divisions this year, for me anyway. The talent seems to be spread out a bit more, with the Yankees being the perennial exception.
Here's how I pick the division winners:
NL
West: San Francisco Giants
Central: St.Louis Cardinals
East: Philadelphia Phillies
Wildcard: Houston Astros
AL
West: Seattle Mariners
Central: Chicago White Sox
East: New York Yankees
Wildcard: Cleveland Indians
Right now, I'm watching Bartolo Colon dismantle the Anaheim Angels. Conversely, Jarrod Washburn is getting pecked to death - he's currently let up six runs that were gained mostly by bloop singles.
Update: Colon pitches a shutout on opening day. Wow.
Looks to be a good start to a great year.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I expect this thread to be full of Cardinal, Cubs, Yankees, and bandwagon Mariner fans :D
In all fun and deep down I'd like the Red Sox to win the World Series but I feel they are doomed forever.
I'm personally hoping my Dodgers get it together this year. If you are curious why a guy in middle america is a Dodger fan, my next door neighbor played MLB for the Dodgers for 18 years and I mowed his lawn during the season. Now I bleed Dodger blue.
My picks for the year are:
NL:
West: Dodgers
Central: Cubs
East: Mets
Wildcard: Diamondbacks.
Champions: Dodgers
AL:
West: Mariners
Central: Indians
East: Yankees
Wild Card: Red Sox
Champion$: Yankee$(being reali$tic)
World Series: Yankee$

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I love baseball,Nothing like staying up 'til after midnight every night watching game on DirecTV:)
my picks
NL
west
ARIZONA
Centrals
CHICAGO
East
ATLANTA
wildcard
ST LOUIS
NL Champs-
Cubs-loaded this year
AL
west
SEATTLE
Central
CHISOX
East
DAMN YANKEE$ :thumbsdown:
Wildcard
BOSTON
AL Champs
CHISOX in an upset
WORLD champs
Chicago;)-- Cubs wil finaly win it

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Play Ball!! Yeah baby! Gotta love Baseball.

Nobody picking Oakland to make the playoffs. With that pitching staff it will be hard to keep them out.

My picks:

AL

West: Seattle

Central: Minnesota

East: New York

Wildcard: Oakland

AL Champs: New York

NL

West: Arizona

Central: St. Louis

East: Atlanta

Wildcard: New York

NL Champs: Atlanta

World Series Champs: Atlanta Braves

AL MVP: Jason Giambi

NL MVP: Sammy Sosa

AL Cy Young: Tim Hudson

NL Cy Young: Randy Johnson

AL Rookie Of Year: Hank Blalock

NL Rookie Of Year: Sean Burroughs

Number Of Home Runs By Barry Bonds: 57

Man, the National League looks to be very competitive in every division this year...with the top 3 teams in every division able to win it. The East could go to Atlanta, NY, or Philly...The Central to St. Louis, Chicago, or Houston...and the West could go to Arizona, San Fran, LA, or San Diego. Man...we are in for some tight races in the NL. The Al should be a bit less competitive with NY and Boston battling it out in the East...the Mariners and A's in the West...and probably the most competitive division will be the Central between The Sox, Twins, and Indians.

I look forward to watching mucho baseball on the dish again this year. Good luck all you fantasy baseballers!

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I'll start off by saying I have been an M's fan from the time of their inception when I was 5 years old. I remember going to games when there were 8000 people in the stands. Talk about getting the best seats in the house for the price of gen admission, and now I can't even get/afford tickets. I'm no bandwagoner :D
With that out of the way....
NL:
West: San Diego (my shocker for the year)
Central: St. Louis
East: Mets
Wild Card: Atlanta
NL Champs: Mets
AL:
West: Seattle
Central: Minnesota (contract this!)
East: Yankees
Wild: Oakland
AL Champs: Seattle (Oakland beats NY in 1st round of playoffs as revenge for losing Giambi :) )
WS: Seattle. Finally (25 years of suffering ended)
Aaron

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, as a lifelong Royals fan, I basically have no reason to watch after April.:)
That being said, I love watching the games no matter who's playing. But I do hope that KC will make a good showing this year. Of course, they'd have to fire Tony "Loser" Muser. He must have naked pictures of the owners or something.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'm in heaven. Opening day is finally here. Being a Reds fan, I'm quite excited at the prospect of putting a whirlwind season together, and finishing the year out of the cellar.:)
I have no picks, I just like to sit back and be surprised. But, if by some crazy miracle, the Reds don't win the world series, I'm rooting for the Cubs.
No matter what, baseball is here again. HOORAY!!

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Furcal, Sheffield, Jones, Jones, Castilla, Maddux, Smoltz, Marquis....looks like the Braves have another good shot this year. I cant wait!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I have no picks, I just like to sit back and be surprised.
I'm with you on that. My picks NEVER pan out. I picked the D-Backs to win the WS when they acquired Schilling mid-Season in 2000. I guess I was a little premature as they free fell after that. :)
My one dark horse team is the Cardinals. Expect Tino to quietly make yet another team even better while receiving little to no recognition. Or maybe St. Louis will recognize it. :)
Of course, my Blue Jays will be looking like a minor league team. Here's to surprises!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Picking the winners already might be a bit premature, IMO... let's see how they PLAY first, shall we? :)
/Mike

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Unfortunately, I think it's safe to say the Reds are in for a long season. Joey Hamilton is your opening day pitcher??? The Cubs will have to abuse him today.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In a nutshell:
Yankees over the Cardinals in six games. Check back with me in November.
In the meantime I've got to deal with the Dish Network which refuses to carry the YES network. Looks like there's a DirecTV in my future.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Just saw the Patriots entire team throw out the first pitch(s) at Fenway. Now that must've been a thrill for those long suffering New England sports fans.

Ahhhhhh, baseball is back.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone having trouble with MLB audio today? I was listening to Phils vs. Atlanta and I got kicked off in the 4th inning.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

I was counting on someone to post their thoughts about the Mariners bandwagon comment I made. In all funny I made it to be sarcastic of last years' Yankees/Mariners discussion that was rather humorous at times but got out of hand.

Picking the winners already might be a bit premature, IMO... let's see how they PLAY first, shall we
Unfortunately with Baseball, $$ is the king. Which is why I picked the Yankee$. I'm sure more than some people are irritated by this but I still love the game regardless.

Edit:Maybe I'm premature as the Yankees are getting owned by Baltimore.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Shane: glad I could oblige. It did seem like there were a lot of insta-M's fans last year. It seems that way still, given that most of the tickets for the season are sold already (I think it's Seattle fan syndrome, the Seahawks used to be THE team here, but then they sucked for years and lost most of their fans. Same with the Sonics when they started losing in '98-99 or so, now the Sonics are winning and people are going to the games again). I'm just glad the Mariners are finally good, and have been for a few years now. Now if they could just come back against the Chi-Sox.

Aaron

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Mitty said:
Joey Hamilton is your opening day pitcher??? The Cubs will have to abuse him today.
Looks like Jon Lieber was the one to take some lumps today. :D
Aside from the enormous parking snafu and problems getting to the seats, it was a splendid day at Cinergy/Riverfront as the Reds beat the Cubbies. Can't beat Opening Day at the ballpark.

Users who are viewing this thread