Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ebayers- Anyone try out UPS internet shipping?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 05:27 PM

The closest official UPS Center from me is about a 20 min drive, but the Authorized Centers are within a couple of miles. I always knew that the Authorized Centers charged an additional service fee but my last package cost about double of what the UPS.com calculator estimated. Posted Image

I was interested in the UPS internet solution where you can print your own labels and especially *not* pay any extra service fees but still drop off your package at an Authorized Center. Just wondering if anyone has tried out this service, is it a big help or lots of hidden fees, and how much is that little label printer that UPS makes you buy?

Thanks for any help.

edit: ps- Just noticed that Fedex.com has a similar service. How does it compare?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 05:45 PM

I have used the UPS internet thingy 5 times for stuff I sold on eBay. It works great for me. A couple of times they have added an extra dollar or two to the cost after the fact. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have not been too concerned, as the cost for those items was already over $15, and I did not have accurate weights for the items. I don't have a special label printer, either. I just print the labels on my inkjet, and then completely tape over them on the box w/ clear packing tape. I give the package to the regular UPS driver that comes to our office everyday, and viola! Painless shipping through UPS.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 05:54 PM

I've shipped Fedex Ground using their internet shipping. I just print off the label on my inkjet printer and then drop the package off. I'm usually in and out in less than a minute, they just scan it and that's it, nothing to fill out.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 12:56 PM

I've used the UPS internet shipping thing a couple times. Both times I dropped the package at a Mail Boxes Etc. a couple blocks from work. The first time I did this was right after they started this program and the guy at MBE refused to accept the package. I called UPS, they called that MBE location, and the guy sheepishly took the package when I returned. The last time I shipped this way they cheerfully accepted my package without question.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   PaulG

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 01:48 PM

I refuse to use MBE after they tried to charge me a $19 pickup fee, almost double the UPS charge. It was only $2 the first time I used them. Office Max near my house is a UPS pickup station and they don't charge any extra. The last time I UPSed a package, the shipping was $6.50 less than the internet quoted me, so I sent the buyer a refund for it, I couldn't justify keeping it.
Lest we forget 9-11-01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users