Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Still Supporting DTS?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 01:14 PM

Hi Just Wondering if Fox is still supporting DTS? It seems to me you as a studio were bring out multiple catalogue titles in dts but in recent days Your Support of DTS seems to all but have evaporated with fewer and fewer titles from Fox showing up in DTS?? Can anyone shed some light on this? Peter Staddon where are you??
Ed Vandeweerd
Evan@shawlink.ca
my collection

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 06:10 PM

Ed: There are a few titles being released by FOx in the next few months. Don't Say a Word (I believe was DTS). Behind Enemy Lines The Johnnie Depp ( ???? Hell) movie. Plus I would assume that the 5-Star Editions of Speed and others will be DTS.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 01:56 AM

Hi All I'm saying is that the frequency and number of DTS titles which Fox has released has dropped dramatically & When they do release DTS titles they haven't seemed to be as High Profile in their Publicity as when "Predator". "The Seige", "Point Break" and "Courage Under Fire" were released which led me to ask the question. Where is Peter Staddon these days anyway?
Ed Vandeweerd
Evan@shawlink.ca
my collection

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 02:04 AM

Peter Staddon is a busy man at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. His presence here is very welcome but his membership is voluntary, he is not obligated to answer every question. And not every distributor can churn out a dts title every release date. I believe Fox's stance on dts is that it is not a selling point for their titles but rather a nice bonus for some films. Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment is the only distributor I know that actually uses dts as a selling point and I wish they would stop this practice. It results in re-releases of titles that do not need them. It would be great to have re-issues of these titles in dts from CTS: A League of Their Own Money Train The Quick And The Dead The Net

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 08:57 AM

Rutger, Was just noting that Peter has been noticeably absent from HTF. I also think for those of us who prefer a dts mix to a dd mix because of the extra punch on the bottom end that dts can give that if there is a dts mix theatrically that it should be made available to the consumer in the home market. I will however concede that in Limited cases the DD mix has been better such as "The Rock" (Criterion).
Ed Vandeweerd
Evan@shawlink.ca
my collection

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 10:23 PM

Hey Ed, I agree that fox has decreased their number of dts titles lately, when will that change? Who knows? In terms of recent titles that have dts vs. titles that don't have them is curious also. For example, you and I both raised an eyebrow when we found out that a big action film like KISS OF THE DRAGON wouldn't have it while a less deserving title, imo, like DON'T SAY A WORD does. But what can you do except shrug it off I guess.
"Uncommon beauty is commonly overlooked".
THE WOODSMAN

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 10:51 PM

[quote]

while a less deserving title, imo, like DON'T SAY A WORD does

[quote]

Oh, but it had GREAT sound! And Michael Douglas! Posted Image

Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   John C

John C

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 09:44 AM

Many seem to forget that Peter Staddon dropped the DTS track on the X-MEN DVD when it noticeably lessened the video quality on the disc. Depending on the "bit budget" DTS audio may negatively impact the picture quality on some discs and shouldn't be included in those cases. I want DTS as much as possible, but not at the expense of pristine video.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 12:12 AM

John, The idea that it decreased picture quality doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Prime example, GLADIATOR was over 2 and a half hours long and a feature length commentary on top of a DTS-ES track, nobody coplains about the transfer on this dvd though do they? Maybe dvd compression technology changed between these 2 releases? Oh well, aren't they going to release an se around the time the sequel comes out anyway?
"Uncommon beauty is commonly overlooked".
THE WOODSMAN

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Trace Downing

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 02:58 PM

[quote]

Prime example, GLADIATOR was over 2 and

a half hours long and a feature length commentary on top of a DTS-ES track, nobody coplains about the transfer on this dvd

though do they?

[quote]

I think the big difference here is that Gladiator was just the movie on one disc. X-Men has scads of supplements on the same disc as the movie, whereas Gladiator's was put on a second disc.

Mr. Staddon, at the time said that if they had more time, they would've made X-Men a 2 disc set, and the film would've included a DTS track, but they were under a real tight schedule with that release, and it was a compromise to please both the fans of the comics, and film buffs at the same time.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,324 posts

Posted April 03 2002 - 11:54 PM

Even though Gladiator looked good, would it have looked even slightly better if DTS was not included? I don't have the answer, but something to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users