Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

*** Official "JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK!" Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 of 107 OFFLINE   Jacob Perry

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 11:02 PM

Jay and Silent Bob sneak preview Saturday night! Too bad I have to work. Check it out Askew fans. Enjoy!

#2 of 107 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 06:59 AM

yep im goin!
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 107 OFFLINE   Darren Rowley

Darren Rowley

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 02:36 PM

Just bought my tickets. I'm there dude. The new catch phrase of the summer, brought to you by Jay; "Whaaaaaaat!" And one from Silent Bob; "...."

#4 of 107 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Supporting Actor

• 875 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 06:01 PM

Just got back. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The film was pretty funny and well worth the money. My only complaint, and its minor, is that I think Kevin Smith took the easy route a bit much in parodying other films and too much of the movie was that sort of joke. I rather found that his original jokes were the best, and the scene with Carrie Fisher was one of the funniest in my opinion. A word to the wise: don't leave the theater early. Not only is song playing during the credits hilarious and well worth a listen, and the end credits have a few jokes in them as well, but there is a short scene afterwards as well. [Edited last by Danny R on August 18, 2001 at 09:05 PM]
They found my psych results fit a certain profile. A certain "Moral flexibility" would be the best way to describe it....

#5 of 107 OFFLINE   Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 06:22 PM

Well worth it...man I haven't laughed so hard and so long in a while Posted Image

A must see.....man I can't wait for the future DVD.....

------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

#6 of 107 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 07:01 PM

Something for everyone... And I think this movie will be huge. The audience at the sneak I went to laughed and applauded wildly throughout the film, but they mostly missed the gags that I thought were downright hilarious. But that just points up that general audiences will love it and die-hards like myself will love it as well. The best way I can think to describe this film is that Kevin Smith has made a live-action companion to the "Clerks" animated series. It's that dense, speedy and surreal. = Derek = ------------------
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#7 of 107 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 07:16 PM

Movie was ungodly hilarious.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The moment where Biggs says "why is it none of the other films.." and then when he's carted away: "I'm the pie-fucker! I'm the pie-fucker!" to which the guard responds: "in prison, you'll be the pie" I damn near died Posted Image

There were a lot of great parodies of other films, some moments that caught me off guard, some inside jokes that were so good it a great treat.. the scene with:

Spoiler:

Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

Was hilarious if not for the fact that Gus Van Sant played along..

The cameos were excellent, and it may go down as one of the best movies I've seen this summer, which has been short on real entertainment value.. so far, only J&SB:SB, AI, and Moulin Rouge were worth much (IMHO) surrounded by a lot of very bad popcorn trash.. you guys remember all the bashing of TPM? I'm telling you, compared to most of the crap that came out this summer, TPM is looking better and better Posted Image

CW

[Edited last by Chris on August 18, 2001 at 10:17 PM]
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#8 of 107 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,910 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 18 2001 - 08:07 PM

Damn! I meant to go, but the sneak was at 7, and I only saw the ad in the paper at a quarter after 7.

#9 of 107 OFFLINE   Darren Rowley

Darren Rowley

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 08:37 PM

I just got back! It was quite an experience! This is the movie I've been waiting for since the first time I saw Clerks. Kevin Smith fans will love it. If you have seen the other KS movies, all the better. Kevin Smith virgins will love it also. On the way out of the theater I over heard an older lady, whom I'm sure has never been devirgined by Kevin Smith, said, "I feel like I'm being a bad example for enjoying that so much". It isn't an award winning movie by any means (OK maybe a few MTV awards), however it is the best comedy I've seen this summer. Scary Movie and Rush Hour didn't have the gut busting laughs nor did they keep you laughing from the start. As the credits started to role I couldn't help not laughing, and all that had been shown was a View Askew logo! The audience was responsive and fun to be with. I think fans of Kevin Smith are very devoted. They appreciate what he does and respond to his humor. He pulls you into the movie and makes you feel like your part of the gang. You feel like Jay and Silent Bob are your old buddies and you are on this adventure with then, not just watching. Enjoy! [Edited last by Darren Rowley on August 18, 2001 at 11:40 PM]

#10 of 107 OFFLINE   Raymond_H

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:02 PM

Hi, Just got back from watching the sneek... I was a bit disappointed with the turnout, it was only half full, with about 10% actually seeing all Smith's films. IT was easy to see who watched all his films, because there are ALOT of "in-jokes" from his previous movies. Well, this movie was pretty funny, actually it was damn funny. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT go into this movie looking for a deep storyline, much less even a simple storyline, because this movie basically has no plot whatsoever. That might be my only compliant, but other then that this movie was just fantastic from the cheap thrill laughs to the more drawn out scenes. All were done really well, and from the rumblings after the show, ALOT of different people had different favorite scenes. I'm assured this movie will get panned across the board, but fans will eat this movie up. I personally do not know how this movie is going to do in terms of the box office, I hope for our sake it does really well. Jason Mewes is a clear pimp in this movie, and for some reason I think his character is one of my favorites in movie history, just a great character. Now to the rankings, - Chasing Amy, the best overall Smith movie - Jay and Silent Bob , probaly the funniest - Clerks, What started it all - Mallrats, I love this movie for what it is worth. - Dogma, really liked it but one of his movies had to be at the bottom. Anyways, just go see the movie. Ray

#11 of 107 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:15 PM

1) Clerks
2) Mallrats
3) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
4) Dogma
5) Chasing Amy

Hands down, greatest film of 2001 so far (next to Memento. Posted Image ) The film was just what I expected, just a bunch of funny jokes in a film with no plot. A great way to end the View Askew series.

"What about that comic with you and the guy?"
"Chasing Amy. Oh that'll never work as a movie..."
"Wait a.... hey!"

"It's times like this I wish I was still dating a lesbian."

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on August 19, 2001 at 12:17 AM]

#12 of 107 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:40 PM

"Hunting, now I've read more books than you! HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!!!!!!!!" "What do we do Chucky???" "Plan B" "Plan B?" "Right!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH Best part of the whole flick Just a great, great great movie, loads of fun, the only movie except the score that didn't make me mad in any way this summer Too bad it was shot Super35, the night scenes were downright smeary with trying to cover the grain. Jeff Kleist

#13 of 107 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,284 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 10:00 PM

Actually, Kevin Smith has done over a dozen projects before. He is even doing a Clerks movie where the two main characters from the first movie sell the rights to their experiences as an animated film (I think). Its coming out next year and its called Clerks: Sellout. Its at IMDb.com.

#14 of 107 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 10:31 PM

Wow, all these positive responses... From the previews it looks like another dumb teen-comedy like Dude Wheres my Car, or Bubble Boy... But since im not a Movie kinda guy, i wouldnt know the real story behind it... like it was from the guy who made Mallrats i understand??? And i havent seen Mallrats before, so... ------------------

#15 of 107 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 12:15 AM

Morgan: That's Clerks: The Animated Movie. The Askewnaverse has come to a close in live-action with J&SBSB Nick- J&SBSB is hilarious, but to get the jokes you really need to go rent and/or buy at least Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy. Good Will Hunting and Dogma wouldn't hurt either. Basically this is the final chapter in the 5-movie "Jersey Trilogy" Jeff Kleist

#16 of 107 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 03:50 AM

What are the odds on this being easy to find late September when I am in LA for the HTF meet? The movie has still yet to get a UK release date. Dan (UK)

#17 of 107 OFFLINE   James_A

James_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 05:36 AM

Hey, Dan I think I saw on newsaskew.com that the UK date will be Dec. 21st. Anyway, as far as this movie goes.......IT ROCKED! Saw it and loved it.... will be going back again to see it.... to learn it, to quote it... to marvel at what a great time I had! I had it built up in my mind, and naturally it was completely different. Wow what a movie, what a great, fun, don't take youself seriously, laughing, over the top cinematic experience! WAY TO GO KEVIN! WAY TO GO JASON! Go see it! Jim ------------------ Jayedeye@usa.net Want to hold up a bank in Latin? "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam." (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
You! Out Of The Gene Pool!

#18 of 107 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 07:53 AM

I thought I was paranoid buying tickets on Thursday but it was worth it! The show was sold out when I got to the theater a half hour early. The theater was almost full when I went in. The audience was mostly fans and to say they went nuts was an understatement. They were floored! They laughed, hooted, hollered, applauded, rolled in the aisles, spotted all the inside jokes and references, and made me realize why I want to be a filmmaker. In fact, there were several lines I couldn't hear because the audience was laughing to much. When Randal first showed up, you could hear murmurs of "Hey, look! It's Randal!" and when he goes inside the Quickstop, you could hear "Whoa, cool! It's Dante!" During the credits when it says "Jay and Silent Bob Have Left the Building" you could hear "Awww." I loved the movie. A great wrap-up. I only wish they kept Randal's "If you were funnier than that, ABC would never have cancelled us" line. I'm sure it'll end up on the DVD. Snoogans, Scott

#19 of 107 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 12:35 PM

[quote]

What are the odds on this being easy to find late September when I am in LA for the HTF meet?

[quote]

Since the month will be out for a month by then, theaters in LA should still have it. Not good theaters Posted Image, but it should still be playing.

"That's a 10-280!"
"Come on, Ben!"
"Hahahahaha, I didn't have any hookers today!"

"So do you like snakes?"
"Yeah, you can love an animal if it's not cute and cuddly."
"Do you like.... trouser snakes?"
"Ooooh, what's a trouser snake?"

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#20 of 107 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 12:57 PM

Loved this movie. My ranking (with weight being given to both humor and substance) Clerks Dogma Chasing Amy J&SB SB .. .. .. .. Mallrats ------------------ Bombardment Society - Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users