What's new

Is Garbage Pail Kids:The Movie..TRULY THE WORST?? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
anybody remember Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie(1987)???
I only saw the end of this crap film.
Is this truly one of the worst films ever????
Did anybody see the tv show it was based on???
------------------

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember the movie, but never actually saw it. There was a store that actually had this for rent on laserdisc but they closed before I got around to checking it out. This is definitely on my need-to-see list though, along with "Million Dollar Mystery" which was the basis for an actual contest (if you figured out in the movie where the money was hidden, you actually won it).
This was based on sticker trading cards, not a TV show- each card had a sticker that could be peeled off or left where it was, they were of different characters named for their odd attributes, like "Adam Bomb" had a picture of some kid with a bomb going off in his head. I think there was a "Messy Jesse" too
wink.gif
These were controversial because parents found them sadistic, but I liked them just because I like sick humor.
I don't know what the movie is actually about; Leonard Maltin's video guide just says it's about "Kids who live in a garbage pail, where this movie belongs." Which of course means I'll probably love it :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jesse,
you got to see Million Dollar Mystery!!
I have it on Laserdisc!
Truly awful.
But it does have Eddie Deezen and Tom Bosely!
The movie sucks, but I do have one favorite part
Spoiler:The toxic waste employee, eats toxic waste to prove to the kid, there is nothing toxic about the water. after that the employee fakes(in a way) turing into a demon.
(basically he stretches his face and makes facial jesters to signify he's turning into a demon)
It cracks me up every time!
laugh.gif

Jesse,
reguarding Garbage Pail Kids...
I know the movie was based on Trading Cards, but they made a TV show a year after, they based the tv show after the movie.
That's what I meant!
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on August 28, 2001 at 06:15 AM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
And I will agree with Maltin, this was absolutely terrible. I mean, I was young enough to enjoy it, but in no way did I think it was a good movie. The costumes were laughably bad and basing the whole film on the trading card phenomenon meant there would be very little to redeem the film, and that turned out to be true.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I used to collect Garbage Pail Kids cards, and I still have most of my collection, including some Series 1 cards. I dont know what theyre worth now though. I do remember the movie, and I know I had my parents rent it for me when I was a kid on VHS, but I couldnt tell you a thing about it.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Heh....for laughs, I looked up this movie on http://www.imdb.com
Whats even MORE funny, is that at the bottom of the imdb page, it says, "If you liked this movie, then we also recommend WATERWORLD!!!!!!!!!" BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited last by MikeEckman on August 28, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I used to collect the cards (god knows where they are now) the one that sticks out was a gangster called Ronald Raygun ha ha ha!
I also remember that the tv show was supposed to be after Muppet Babies on saturday morning but instead they showed Pee Wee's Playhouse instead. I guess parents groups cancelled the show before it aired.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I remeber collecting the garbage pail kids card. I had all the stickers stuck all around my bed until one day, I came home from school and all of them were ripped off. My little brother did it. I was so pissed.
As for the movie...Never saw it. My parents didn't let me.
I was 10, give me a break.
I would love to find it one of these days and see what I was missing. Hey I own "Head" on DVD. so I've gotta see this one.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I remember the movie, but never actually saw it. There was a store that actually had this for rent on laserdisc but they closed before I got around to checking it out. This is definitely on my need-to-see list though, along with "Million Dollar Mystery" which was the basis for an actual contest (if you figured out in the movie where the money was hidden, you actually won it).
I always refer to that one as the "Glad Bag Movie" because (if I recall correctly) the contest was sponsored by Glad trash bags and their name was all over the advertising.
= Derek =

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Oh Damn, I used to collect these cards with a passion when I was young. The pride and joy of my collection was an autographed "Adam Bomb." I remeber the classics: Geeky Gary and TV Stevie, Adam Bomb and Blasted Billy, Up Chuck and Heavin Steven, or the best: Potty Scotty and Jason Basin!

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
What does owning Head have to do with wanting to see the garbage pail kids movie?
Well, I'm a sucker for bad movies :)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
NO, I would stand behind Plan 9 From Outer Space as being the worst movie of all time. It is. Bad acting, bad jump cuts, bad dialogue, terrible cardboard scenery, cheesy special effects. Yep, I believe this one takes the cake.
I thought the GPK movie was pretty cool. My mom took me and my sister to a matinee when I was younger. I used to have it on tape, but I can't find it any longer.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
quote:
quote:
What does owning Head have to do with wanting to see the garbage pail kids movie?
Well, I'm a sucker for bad movies
Hey!!
= Derek =
PS I asked my roomate, and he thinks Beverly Hills Cop III is worse than Garbage Pail Kids...
------------------
[Edited last by Derek Miner on August 29, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I am currently holding this videotape in my hands. We kept it when we sold my parents' video store a while back just because I dug it so much when I was a kid. I haven't watched it in a while, but it was...um...interesting, I suppose. haha. The video was by Paramount, but I don't know if they'd still have the rights to it for DVD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
NOW I remember- they were planning to do a Saturday Morning "Garbage Pail Kids" TV show on CBS, but parents groups protested and kept it from ever getting on the air (bastards!) I wonder if a single episode was ever produced, it would be great to see now!
I remember Paramount put the LD out, but the movie itself was from one of those B-studios so who knows who owns the rights to it now.
When the trading cards were hot, Ann Landers or Dear Abby printed a letter from someone asking what she thought of parents buying Garbage Pail Kids cards for their kids (they weren't mentioned by name, but you could tell that's what they were talking about)- the reply was "Any parent who would buy something like that for their kids is sadistic and sick!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
MikeEckman wrote:
Heh....for laughs, I looked up this movie on www.imdb.com and the only person in the cast that sounded remotely familiar was MacKenzie Astin (Sean Astin of the Goonies brother). Anyways, on his filmography, he made GPK in 1987, and his next movie credit wasnt until 1994!! I guess that movie almost ruined his career!
He was also a regular on the television program The Facts of Life beginning in 1985. The GPK movie was made in 1987. The last first-run "Facts" episode aired May 7, 1988.
Just thought you'd like to know.
------------------
Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I hate to disagree, but the worst film of all time is Hard Ticket to Hawaii, Andy Sidaris' T & Action opus, in which the villain is shot point-blank in the chest, stabbed, and run through with a harpoon gun, but does not die until he is bitten by a boa constrictor.
My fiancee's younger brother is becoming quite a fan of bad cinema, so for his birthday this year I gave him my treasured tape of HTTH...I spend four years trackin' that one down, man!

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, this brings back some good memories. I used to be so much into the cards. Too bad I can't remember what happened with my collection.
I also saw the movie but can't remember much of it. Wish it was on DVD so I could check it out again. (No, I can't bring myself to watch VHS anymore).
Whoever came up with the idea of making fun of the cabbage dolls was a genius.
------------------
Andres
http://home.earthlink.net/~coolvirus

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I have to admit, as bad as Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie is, it's much better than Troll 2. Now, THAT'S the worst movie of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks