What's new

Am I the only person who thinks Speed is just bad? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I like a good action movie - I'm a big fan of Die Hard and other excellent action flicks, but peoples' love of Speed always confounds me.

One of Keanu's worst performances - I mean he's so good in Bill & Ted's, Parenthood and The Matrix.

A so-so script.

Dennis Hopper turning in a ridiculously over the top villain that is simply silly.

Worst moment has got to be Keanu talking to the robber on the bus and saying "We're just a couple of cool guys..." with all the acting of a plank of wood.

Am I really alone here?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Am I really alone here?
Probably not, but I've seen it several times and always find it enjoyable. For me, it's one of those films that I can come in at any point (say, when flipping channels) and still be entertained. I saw it not too long ago and still found myself leaning with the passengers when Sandra Bullock (she's so adorable in this!) careens around a curve, and leaning forward when the bus jumps the missing section of highway. I love Keanu in it, love Jeff Daniels, and especially love Hopper's bad guy (not as much as I love his Blue Velvet bad guy though).

Maybe it's because I saw it in the theater when it was first released, and it was very cool on the big screen, and so it has remained cool for me. It's just a popcorn movie, and I like it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
IMO, it was a fun escapist film. For me, it continues to be that way.

Dennis Hopper turning in a ridiculously over the top villain that is simply silly.
I think part of my enjoyment was that he never took himself seriously. It was nice to see him do this acting turn.

~Edwin

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Massive continuity errors aside, I think Speed is a very entertaining film with some clever plot twists.
It's also a minor achievement considering that although nearly 75% of the film took place in a bus--a cramped and very small area--it never got boring.
Speed 2 on the other hand...

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Speed 2 on the other hand...
Oh my dear God. That movie was so incredibly bad. My favorite moment was when she found the chainsaw on the cruise ship. Maybe I'm just ill-informed, but I had no idea they carried chainsaws on a cruise ship.

The first one was a good dumb movie that I enjoyed. I don't know why I like some dumb action movies, but then others (like Armageddon or any John Woo movie) I just can't stand.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You're not alone theo. I didn't like it either. Die-Hard, Predator, and others are far better action films than Speed in my opinion? So there is at least one person here who agrees with you.:)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I've always enjoyed Speed, but it has been a very long time since I've seen it. I'll definitely pick it up on DVD when the 5-star edition is finally released, but I'm not sure if I'll like it as much as I used to. Lately I've found that a lot of films I used to like are now almost unwatchable, so I think my tastes have changed somewhat.
As far as Speed II, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Just horrible. :thumbsdown:

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Make it another one who doesn't like it. When I saw it in the theater as a teenager, I thought it was a decent, fun action flick. I watched it a few years later on video and found it to be absolutely horrible. Keenu's "acting" in the film is some of the worst in the history of motion pictures. I found the action to be completely unbelievable and boring. Now I don't mind suspending my disbelief for a good action film, but almost every single action scene in the film had me incredibly annoyed at how stupid it was. Watch in amazment as bus full of people jumps 100 feet, with no incline, landing in perfect running condition and nobody gets hurt! :rolleyes:
I haven't bothered to watch it again.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean he's so good in Bill & Ted's, Parenthood and The Matrix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must be kidding, right?
I don't mind saying Keanu was bad in Speed, because he's bad in everything.
------------------------------------------------------------
:laugh:

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I thought SPEED was an awesome movie and very entertaining. I will be picking up the 5 star collection for sure.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
You must be kidding, right?

I don't mind saying Keanu was bad in Speed, because he's bad in everything.
I just don't think that's true but it is true he has very little range. However, his B&T and Parenthood roles are very much in that range. He just has to be a surfer-dude and he's damn convincing. He is the character and that to me is a good performance.

Similarly, the Matrix is his range (looking confused!!!) so he's good in it. I'm not saying he's a good actor because he isn't.

However, considering how 'within his range' Speed is, he puts in an exceptionally bad performance. I get the impression he and Hopper both thought they were making a dud and so just put in zero effort.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I still find Speed to be one of the best action films of the 90's, if not the best. Its brilliant action escapism on Hitchcockian levels with interesting ways of having fun with the audience....and it NEVER lets up. I thought both Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper were terrific to watch; Reeves a good everyday cop and Hopper a crazed maniac who wanted more than a watch as a retirement present. Oh, and it has Sandra Bullock looking her cutest since, well, ever. :)
Sure, it's silly, full of continuity errors and Sandra Bullock may shout a little too much, but it's the kind of action movie that knows its game and delivers on every single level of the genre. I loved it.
Jason
PS: And this came out the same summer as True Lies. Nothing more exciting for a teenage boy of 14 years who could only afford matinee pricing. :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Speed is a horrible film and an even worst action film. There is nothing good about this movie, IMHO.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks