Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Cost of Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Carlton C

Carlton C

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 01:01 PM

I was just at the local FYE and noticed that they had about 20 copies of this DVD. As I didn't get in on the preorder of it I hadn't actually expected to find this...thus I was extremely happy to see it on the shelves. They are asking 49.99 (currently on sale for 45.99 but that's not important)and I'm rather curious as to what everyone else has ended up paying for this edition. I also noticed next to it was an Evil Dead...lunchbox edition (okay, I don't know the actually edition, but it was in a lunchbox). Didn't see the price on the lunchbox, but what's the difference (other than the boxes). I think I'm done rambling...hopefully someone can figure out what I've said and asked. Thank you

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 01:03 PM

I paid $29.99 from Deep Discount DVD. The lunchbox is some old version of the DVD, I think.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 27 2002 - 01:19 PM

Evil Dead 2 is available in a tin. I presume that is the "lunchbox" of which you speak. It is not the first film, though. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 01:21 PM

[quote]

Evild Dead 2 is available in a tin. I presume that is the "lunchbox" of which you speak. It is not the first film, though.

[quote]

nope. at one point, AB released their first barebones ED disc in a lunchbox package. this was completely unrelated to the ED2 tin.

DJ

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 01:57 PM

Actually the "lunchbox" Evil Dead is actually just a tin lunchbox with an evil dead picture printed on it, like back in elementary school. I'm pretty sure it comes with a matching thermos inside. They also make an Army of Darkness lunchbox/thermos set. You can find these on ebay for around $15. I paid $29.99 from DDD for my BOTD.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   rodney wiley

rodney wiley

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 02:50 PM

27.99 Best Buy

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,799 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 27 2002 - 03:24 PM

BOTD: regular price at my Best Buy is $29.99; regular price at my Circuit City is $34.99. I picked it up at CC when it was on sale for the first week for $27.99. I also saw the lunch box at FYE. I think it was for $29.99. Don't know what version of the film is in it, but unless you really want an ED lunchbox, I'd skip it. I'd also avoid FYE at all costs if you have *any* other alternatives (and if you shop on-line, you have many). They are hugely expensive compared to most other stores.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Tom Bley

Tom Bley

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 03:55 PM

I bought my ED book of the dead copy from Sam's club for $23.48

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 04:48 PM

$25.00 Samgoody.com.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 06:25 PM

I didnt buy it, just the cheapest I saw it for (in Canada) was $37.99cnd (about 25USD).

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Carlton C

Carlton C

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 07:25 PM

I checked Best Buy, no go as they don't have any Evil Dead at all (lots of Army of Darkness though). They probably didn't have room do to the 300 copies of Kiss of the Dragon (though it might have been more than 300, it was 2 full sections top to bottom).

I haven't checked Circuit City, but they have a bit of a reputation as to not having anything. Their dvd section isn't all that big (I find more at wal-mart). I'll have to call them just to see...on a side note the few dvd's they have tend to be more expensive than FYE...ala ALiens which they want 29 for versus 25 at FYE (and the entire box set at walmart for 56 Posted Image ).

Other than those and the typical Target and Wal-Mart, I'm completely out of places to shop for dvd's. Don't have access to online stores as I don't have a credit card. I might be able to find it used...but the places I find used dvd's at tend to stick very nasty stickers to the packaging and I don't have any spare cases.

From the way it looks though I'd be getting hosed if I bought it for 50...dang, I really wanted it as I'm still trying to get my wife to finish the movie. She has a problem with horror movies (yet she still was able to watch Mannequin and the sequel without problems and those are true horror Posted Image )

Thanks for the help everybody.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 07:29 PM

Did you check the box set section at Best Buy?

This set wasn't in the normal sections at the couple Best Buys that I have been to recently and there were plenty available. I'm not doubting your intelligence, but just want to cover all bases. Posted Image

-Chad

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Carlton C

Carlton C

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 07:39 PM

Doubt my intelligence, it's okay as I do it all the time Posted Image

As for the box section, yes I checked there first as I was looking at the price of Star Trek: TNG (which is almost sold out...course I don't have that much money yet but still) I didn't see it anywhere and it is pretty distinctive. On a side note, I might have missed it completely as it took me two times through the aisle before I finally saw the Superman Box set. But I don't recall it being there and neither did my wife. I will admit I didn't ask about it, but I've had bad luck with the Best Buy crew in regards to what dvd's they have (they assume they have everything, which would be nice if it was true). I might just be calling them tomorrow as well to double check.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 07:42 PM

Maybe they just don't get the same amount of stock down in Ozark, Missouri. I know that I was at my Best Buy today and they had around 50 copies. I would suggest just giving them a call before you head over, it will probably be there hidden somewhere. -Chad

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,799 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 27 2002 - 07:52 PM

Does Best Buy special order? I'd ask a manager. I wouldn't think they'd have a problem just shifting a few copies from another store. My BB had about 30 copies of BOTD last time I checked. Circuit City's inventory does suck, but sometimes they can surprise. That said, on the same day I saw about 30 copies at BB, CC only had about 6.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 09:43 PM

Sams Club has Book of the Dead and Highlander Immortal Edition for $23.98. Best price I've seen yet for either title. Other single disc Anchor Bay titles like Beastmaster and Soul Man are $8.99.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 03:52 AM

I bought mine from Amazon thinking that I wouldnt find it at Wal-Mart or Sams, so I go to Sams yesterday and they have it for $25! Argh! Since, when did Sams start carrying something like Evil Dead? Oh well.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 06:26 AM

Nobody mentioned this one yet, but I got it at Fry's for $24.99. That was the release-week price, but I don't think it costs over $30 now. They had a WHOLE bunch of them last time I went, but then again, so did both of my local Best Buys.

Depending where you live, I don't think it will be hard to find a copy for under $30. Unless you get really desperate, don't pay the $50 list price. Posted Image

-Kelly

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 08:49 AM

Sam's has been carrying Ancho Bay product for a while now. They do net carry every title, usually just the budget titles or really major releases. Sometimes you can luck out and get specila 2 packs there for $14.99 like Army of Darness packaged with Evil Dead 2, or Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 together. These are the THX versions to boot! I think Sams and Ancho Bay have some kind of agreement for the special packaging to remove excess product from there wherehouse when it does not move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users