What's new

*** Official "THE OTHERS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Others". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread. Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link .
Again, without warning, I will delete all posts that are not a HTF member review!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 10, 2001 at 07:12 PM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
This should be an easy one to review. The Others has all the elements of a good ghost story movie. It has good performances by everyone, most especially by Nicole Kidman and the two child actors as her children, a good atmosphere and a relatively fine story. But what works against it is the lack of good old fashion suspense. The story is told in a more traditional gothic nature.
The film relies heavily on a plot twist that occurs at the end in order for its story to come full circle. Unfortunately, the reward is not worth the wait as hardly anything happens in between. Its twist is not one that would garner repeat viewings nor one that worked really well as in The Sixth Sense.
With a lot of recent movies drawing mixed reactions from audiences because of its ending, (i.e. A.I., Jurassic Park III and Planet Of The Apes), I’m afraid this movie will also have that same audience reaction. One will either like this movie or not. A lot of people in the screening I attended were getting restless in their seats and with good reason.
The Others rates
2hstars.gif
(out of four). As I said earlier, it does have a relatively fine story but I’m afraid its just one that is not very exciting for a ghost story.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Just got back from seeing "The Others". Wasn't a full house but around 3/4 full, with a lot of the crowd being there for AP2. Being a fan of this genre of movie, the short story is I liked the film a lot.
I thought the performances were excellent, not just by Kidman but the whole cast. The children pretty much made the movie, and did a great job. Couldn't fault it for atmosphere either, regardless of the ending it kept it's promise as a good suspense thriller.
Some parts were a little thin, and I agree with Edwin's assesement that it made the audience restless. Amenabar drew it a lot, maybe a tad too much but I think why it worked to some degree, was that they didn't go overboard with the horror/suspense - just showed enough to keep it interesting.
Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and rated it ***1/2 out of 4. It won't draw repeat viewings nearly as much as other movies of it's kind, but for what it's worth I loved it.
------------------
Home Theater
DVD Collection
[Edited last by Jehan on August 10, 2001 at 11:47 PM]

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
This is the scariest movie I've seen since THE EXORCIST!
I absolutly LOVED this movie. The showing I went to tonight filled about 75% of the theater. This movie drew 2 great screams from the audience (me included).
I easily see myself vewing this one again in repeat viewings. Great performances as mentioned above and a great creepy atmosphere sold this movie to me effortlessly.
This looks to be the scariest movie of this year so far...and I'd say the scariest movie since THE EXORCIST.
I would highly recommend this film for a great scare!
I rate THE OTHERS:
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
(out of 4)
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
LuvLBX

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I guess I might be the only one to not really like this
frown.gif

I liked the period it takes place in, and the basic story telling of the film. But, I did find it to be too slow moving, and at afew times a little dull.
I did however like about 3-4 parts of the movie, where there were some good scare elements in it.
I also liked the performances by the children and Nichole Kidman.
The end was a nice surprise ending, but was a little too tired from the drawn out movie.
I wish I would have liked this better.
Maybe a second viewing is in stake.
For now, I give it a D+
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on August 11, 2001 at 03:35 AM]

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I liked it. I concur with Jerry that there are two really great scares. It is a bit slower than your average fare, but a ghost story normally builds up tension in such fashion. It really keeps you guessing throughout, and it has a very surreal feel to it. I am really happy that a film like this was released since they come so far and few between. So, if you really like ghost stories in the traditional sense, I would recommend that you see this in the theater.
Tom,
I didn't leave me with that empty feeling that The Haunting did.
All in all, I give it ***1/2 out of *****.
ps The Exorcist is still the scariest for me.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Julie K

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the atmosphere of the film and while some may say it moved too slow (and I did hear audience comments about it "dragging") I felt it played just right and allowed for a wonderful immersion in the feel of the film.
I figured out the end about halfway through but it was still fun seeing the clues (which most of the audience seemed to miss) and trying to figure out how a few loose ends would get resolved. For me at least, I think the film will hold up quite well on a repeat viewing when the DVD comes out.
And then there are the scares. One gal in the back of the theater screamed loudly at the two main scares. It kind of ruined the effect for me since and made it laughable since I have never heard anyone scream so loud and so long in a theater :)
Sadly, in a summer where movies are praised for having meaningless action heaped upon meaningless action for the sake of action, The Others will not do well. This is a shame since this film would make a good starting point for a new look at horror.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
[Edited last by Julie K on August 11, 2001 at 08:33 AM]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this film friday afternoon, but up until now refrain from posting my review. Overall, I found the film to be one of the best ghost films made in the last 20 years. I liked the film very much except during the first 45 minutes or so, the flow of the film was slow but maybe it felt that way because the film took it's time telling it's story which is something we're not used to seeing from recent Hollywood productions.
The film had some very scary moments and the audience I was in really enjoyed the frights and black humor of the film. I really liked the mood of the film because it heighten the suspense level of certain scenes. The performances were very good especially Kidman and the child actress. This is a type of film when it comes out on dvd that you would want to watch at night with all the lights out. It's in the tradition of "The Uninvited" and the original "The Haunting" which allows your imagination to do some of the work regarding the scary scenes. In closing, I'm giving the film four out of five
star.gif
. I highly recommend this film to anyone that's in the mood for a good old fashion supernatural story.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
For me it was the scariest movie since the Blair Witch Project (lets not debate on this one). The only thing that disapointed me was guessing the surprise ending halway through.
Still I give this movie 4.5 / 5. Nicole Kidman is absolutely marvelous.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I concur in many of the positive comments already made. One other area where the film excelled, IMO, was the cinematography. Light is a major plot point in this film, and the photography reflects this with a beautiful chiaroscuro technique. In almost any interior shot, there's a carefully delineated sense of where the light is coming from and what remains in shadow. It's a big part of what makes the film so creepy, and it's an important element in the scares and shocks.
In addition to the performances already mentioned, Fionnula Flanagan is marvelous as a rather unusual housekeeper. It's a part that could have easily gone over the top, but Ms. Flanagan pitches it perfectly.
Sparing but very effective use of split surrounds. The surrounds are quiet most of the time, but when they kick in, you'll jump.
M.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
BRILLIANT!!
I just came from seeing this film, and it was the best, most suspensful, and taught ghost thriller i've ever seen!
It's every bit as great as The Sixth Sense, better IMHO, but unfortunatly I don't think it will garner the same praise from audiences that 'TSS' did, and that's a DAMN SHAME!
I don't know what people mean when they say "slow", this movie is like a hangmans noose being twisted around your neck, until the end, when the trapdoor opens, and WHACK!!
The ending was like someone had slapped me accross the face! It was fucking great!
I don't know who the location scouter was on this film, but the house they chose for this film was the most ominous, and dreadridden place i've personally have seen on the screen! It's everything The Haunting wanted to be. I could go on forever about this film that NO horror fan should miss!
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of five, don't miss it!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What a fantastic movie.
Everything in the first half of the movie seems to be designed to unbalance the audience - the dark and quiet house, the disappearing servants, the mute, Grace's unusually fervent religious instruction, the lack of a underscore. The whole atmosphere is creepy, so that when things start to really get strange, the audience is primed to jump.
Of course, this could be said of Session 9, too, and that movie isn't nearly so successful. The difference is Alejandro Amenábar's fantastic script and direction, which don't waste anything. Every scene fits together in a way that's really quite masterful.
Special attention must be given to the performances. I know I shouldn't be surprised when Kidman gives a great performance, but she's been so much more identified as a celebrity and movie star that it sometimes takes a one-two punch like Moulin Rouge and The Others to remind me that "movie star" and "great actress" can apply to the same person. And I absolutely loved Alakina Mann as Anne. Where many child actors are often lucky to get the lines out, Alakina made Anne intelligent and childish, but with a bit of a mean side that made her all the more believable as this protected child. James Bentley was great as the other child, Nicolas.
See this movie; it's easily the scariest thing I've seen in a theater since The Blair Witch Project.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
*** out of ****
(whoever reviews in this style, credit to them)
The Short
The Good
- acting performances
- cinematography
- lighting
- plot and execution thereof
The Bad
- drawn out in parts
The Actual Review
I thought this movie was pretty good. One of the best ghost stories I've seen in a long while. It ranks up there with The Changeling, Carnival of Souls, and The Sixth Sense. It had the power to scare people, yet it didn't have to resort to cheap "jump scares" to extract every scream out of the audience. One things for sure, it's better than BOTH versions of the The Haunting. I thought that Nicole Kidman and the supporting casts' acting performances were excellent. I've been thinking though, was this movie made during the time of Nicole Kidman just recently getting the news of divorce form her husband, Tom? If it is, it sure helped her a lot in her acting of any scenes with desperation and anguish. One of the things I liked best about this movie is that it didn't stretch itself too far from reality. Besides the supernatural problems evident by the movie, the characters faced real problems (child abuse, spouse going off to war, taking care of sick children, etc.). In closing, this is an extremely well-thought out ghost story that fans of the genre will like.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
While not a fan of the period it supposed to take place in, I am about as on the fence as you can get with this one. I liked the way the film was shot. Mostly dark. The story was interesting but very slow. You can almost guess what will happen but the fact that I wasn't totally sure and kept me guessing up to the end won points for me. The movie starts pretty slow, then it starts to build a little, and then slows down. Then builds again, then slows. It didn't really reach full momentum for me until the end which hurt my opinion of it some. Overall good story with a nice twist on the end if you can stand 80 minutes of nothing exploding or guns blazing.
Rating: B-
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Dan M

Second Unit
I for one absolutely loved this movie. It had all the ingredients for an effective horror movie as well as a great little ghost story. May be one of the best ghost stories I've ever seen.
It proves Hollywood can still put out something that works without having to rely on things like sophisticated special effects and non stop action (not that I'm against those things, mind you).
There was one scene towards the climax that litterally made my hair stand up. I don't think I was the only one either. I overheard a lady sitting next to me whisper to her companion "I think I dislocated my shoulder". She was joking of course but it was quite a jolt. Scared the s--- outa me!
This movie felt like it should have been released in the Fall instead of Summer.
Looking forward to this DVD. It will make it on my annual Must Watch list around Halloween.
------------------

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
After reading my partner in crime's (Mr. Crawford) review, I placed this on a "must see" list.
Tonight I finally got the chance.
First off let me say that I really enjoy a film that paces it's self. It doesn't throw too much at you at once and what it does throw, really packs a wallop.
The fact here is "The Others" has the hair on my arms still standing straight up as I write this. This is by far one of the BEST "ghost story" films in quite sometime.
As I think back this film rates right up there with "The Haunting" (not the remake), "The Innocents", "Hell House", "The Changeling" and "Ghost Story". All these films were heavy in content and light on gross out factor.
The performances are strong all the way around. The children are fantastic and really sell the show.
If your looking for a good "skin crawler" this is the film not to miss.
Dugger
[Edited last by Chris Dugger on August 18, 2001 at 11:45 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Others was exactly the kind of film that I was expecting it to be. An atmospheric, moody, gothic ghost story.
I thought the film was a beautifully shot, deliberately paced, well acted suspense film.
The mood that was created by the lighting, set design, music, etc. just added to the creepiness of the film. Of course it was not a traditional type of "horror" film with the "in your face" technique that many of those films use. On the contrary, the suspense in this film, for me, was conveyed by the atmosphere, story, performances and pace of the film, which while it was a bit slow at times, worked in favor of building tension. Rest assured, there are scary and suspenseful moments in the film, and the ending was (somewhat) surprising and satisfying.
The performances by all involved were excellent, especially Nicole Kidman who was always one of my favorite actresses, who here just adds another great performance to her varied acting resume after doing another great job in Moulin Rouge.
Also of note was the young girl who played her daughter in the film. She showed a tremendous amount of range in her performance.
I've been debating in my mind what rating to give this film and, after thinking more about it, have decided to give it
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif
THREE AND A HALF STARS within its genre, because in my mind it sucessfully accomplishes what it was trying to do, tell a suspenseful, scary ghost story.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a chance to check out "The Others" today. I purposely did not read any in depth reviews (and will not be providing one, either). I think it lived up to expectations of positive reviews/buzz for me.
I found that Nicole Kidman can carry a film, and looks smashing as she totes a shotgun around. :) The children were just as good in their scenes, and the 3 people that showed up to help out with the house were just as eerie as one could hope.
I don't "jump" when I watch horror/ghost movies, I'm just not that antsy, but rather very calm, so the 2 big scary jolts didn't do much for me, but the rest of the audience jumped, and then let out nervous laughter.
If you like the ghost story genre, you should give this film a chance at the theaters because it's pretty good, and has a nice subtle approach to the mythology of ghosts.
I give it a grade of B, or 3 out 4 stars.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
As with JohnS, I'm one of the very few to not like this movie.
The atmosphere is great and very creepy, and Nicole and the two kids are great actors. Also two scenes did get a jump out of me.
That's the only good things I can say about the film. The film is paced very slow, and I kept on looking at my watch that I was getting so bored. Also, the ending was a nice suprise, but it wasn't as I was expecting. That and I saw the ending coming from a mile away.
Overall, I give The Others
star.gif
½ out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree with Matthew's assessment about the pacing. It was very good. It set the mood without being overly quick.
We don't need slick MTV type quick cuts and super short explanations in this type of film. In fact, I thought it was too short in some areas that needed to be expanded on.
It harkens back to more of the old fashioned gothic feel, which I like.
I jumped out of my seat a few times. Maybe because I was tired and not wide awake and in hyper critical mode that the cliched "gotcha" scenes worked.
Thought the caretakers could have been more mysterious until the end. I knew something was up with them from the start. Too obvious.
For those of you who haven't gone to see it yet-- at least view it once before people spoil the film for you. A pretty decent ghost story in this very poor summer season.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 27, 2001 at 12:11 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks