Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Studios: re: Tv Product - provide a Play All option

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted March 26 2002 - 05:41 PM

Please provide a play all option when producing TV episodic DVD product.

This feature is sorely needed when trying to watch the entire disc without having to continue going back to the Main Menu and chosing the next episode.

Especially Star Trek DVD product. Definitely wanted!

Thank you!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted March 27 2002 - 10:30 AM

I think all DVDs should be able to tell when they're being played by someone who owns a laserdisc player, so they'll just play straight through with no menus or anything Posted Image
My Pioneer LD/DVD player lets you program most discs so they will play everything sequentially (like the South Park DVDs) but some discs like The Simpsons disable this!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted March 29 2002 - 07:36 AM

Jesse:

I looked into this with my Pioneer DVD player. I can program but on the Star Trek DVDs, you get an error when you enter the Program. On the All In The Family DVDs, you can program - but it is ignored.

It seems that the studios don't have the faintest ideas on how DVD players operate. They chapter encode all episodes when the episode should be chapter marked and then highlights should be then indexed (Use of the Title and Chapter features correctly).

In all fairness, the studios don't seem to know how to handle TV DVD product. They are authoring TV product the same as a film feature. They are totally different.

Being a computer scientist and developer, I don't understand why they don't have preliminary authoring layout designs. If they did, they would probably understand more.