What's new

Logan's Run MPAA Rating (1 Viewer)

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I can't believe this movie's still rated PG!! It should be rated R with all that T&A. It's so messed up that PG-13 didn't come into existance until 1984 and nobody's bothering to re-rate the questionable ones.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe this movie's still rated PG!! It should be rated R with all that T&A.
Pffft... if you think Logan's Run has lots of T&A you haven't seen that many films. To tell you the truth, imo, I don't think Logan's Run deserves the R rating (a PG-13 yes, but not R). Hair, a film made a year (or two) after Logan's Run has more of it (and also has a glimpse of male full frontal nudity) and it's only PG. Now of days, due to the male full frontal nudity it would automatically be rated R... which is BS, but whatever. I'm still shocked that the MPAA finds nudity (and male nudity even more) offensive. Oh well, the MPAA is ran by a bunch of assholes so what can you really do?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Three words:

Barbarella on DVD

The film was released to theaters back in 1968, before the MPAA decided to introduce the R rating. So its original rating was M(for Mature). The M was then changed to R in 1969 but in 1977, Paramount Pictures wanted to cash in on the success of Star Wars: Episode IV. So the film was edited to gain a PG rating. What was changed?

The title for one. Barbarella: Queen of The Galaxy. Also, all the nude sequences were altered to remove Jane Fonda's best parts. Then the sexual overtones were toned down.

However....

The DVD of Barbarella: Queen of The Galaxy sports the PG rating from 1977 but it is the original 1968 version of the film. You get Jane Fonda in her prime and the original sexual overtones.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
AFAIK, whoever owns the film would have to re-submit it for rating, and there's no beneficial reason to do that. Why does it matter?

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
if a major studio would remake logans run with all scenes included, an instant R on the spot. Also, why is the 1960's version of Psycho R. It should be a bare minimum of a PG for the time it was re submited in 1984.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the point in any case. What purpose, other than of possibly historical interest, does it serve to put ratings on dvds?

It's one thing for parents to use ratings as a guide for movies in theaters that they may not get a chance to see. But for dvds, I don't see why they can't screen them. I know I do, and there are r-rated movies I'll let my son see a lot sooner than some pg or even g movies (I happen to find violence more offensive than nudity).

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i mean I am 16, and no store I know of that ask me "hey you can't have that are you over 17. Now would they ask on the unrated versions of american pie.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
What purpose, other than of possibly historical interest, does it serve to put ratings on dvds?
To tell you the truth, I don't know. The MPAA has always been inconsistent with their rating decisions and it would be better off to abolish the MPAA and/or adopt a new rating system (the Canadian rating system, imho, makes more sense than the US rating system). I have no problem with nudity at all. Nudity is apart of human nature, why try to censor it up? Do people not see what is considered "nudity" when they go to the bathroom or take a bath/shower?
I was watching an E! True Hollywood Story on Fast Times at Ridgemont High last weekend and the MPAA told Amy Heckerling to edit out one shot of a male's penis or they will have an X rating. Their reason for the X rating was cause the penis is a "sexually agressive organ". :rolleyes:
What I don't like is that the MPAA basically listens to complaints from parents. Language and nudity are more offensive than violence (I have no problem with violence, but would you really want your kid to see a shoot out?). Giving a film a rating due to amount of language is bullshit now. I hear little kids who have dirtier mouths than me (and that's a shock to some people, including myself). Hell, I go right into my high school, filled with teenagers ages 14 - 19 and I'll hear more colorful uses of the f word, the c word, the s word, and so on in a few hours than in most R rated movies combined. And with nudity, most teenagers see nudity let it be on the internet or in real life.
The ratings to me are unneeded. If you don't want your kid to watch a certain film, then don't let your kid watch it (ban the film from the kid if necessary). When I was younger, my mom told me what films I could see and what films I could not see till I was mature enough to view them. If all parents did the same, then I don't think the MPAA would be as strict.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I was watching an E! True Hollywood Story on Fast Times at Ridgemont High last weekend and the MPAA told Amy Heckerling to edit out one shot of a male's penis or they will have an X rating. Their reason for the X rating was cause the penis is a "sexually agressive organ".
hey, aren't there brief penis shots in porky's and that is rated r.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
hey, aren't there brief penis shots in porky's and that is rated r.
There aren't any penis shots in Porky's, but Porky's 2: The Next Day has clearly visable penis shots during the finale with the KKK members.
I can also list many other films that are Rated R that have shots of penises. This all goes back to my comment about how the MPAA has always been inconsistent.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The current rating system has so many flaws!

All ages should be allowed in (Let parents send their 10 year olds to see American Pie if they're that stupid.) and all pre-1968 films have NO RATINGS.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
and all pre-1968 films have NO RATINGS
My mom was telling me a story last weekend about Night of the Living Dead as I was buying the Millenium Edition DVD of it. She was telling me when she was 15 (1974), her friends and herself were trying to get into the theaters to see it, but the people who worked at the theater wouldn't let her see it. I remember that the film came out before the MPAA was established so it had no rating at all (I remember reading an article about the movie by Roger Ebert and when he saw it back in 68 there were kids [around 8 years old] all in the theater), but why would a theater not let in people who are 15 to see it, but years earlier anybody could see it (even without a re-rating, and yes that's a run-on sentence :))? (Yes, Night of the Living Dead is one of the scariest films of all time, but the film has very little on screen violence (most of the violence happens off camera and I've seen PG-13 films that are worse in content.)

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
The film was released to theaters back in 1968, before the MPAA decided to introduce the R rating. So its original rating was M(for Mature). The M was then changed to R in 1969 but in 1977, Paramount Pictures wanted to cash in on the success of Star Wars: Episode IV. So the film was edited to gain a PG rating. What was changed?
Actually, the R rating existed at the same time the M rating did. M stood for "Suggested for Mature Audiences." This rating apparently was confusing, so it was changed to "GP: Parental guidence suggested - all ages admitted" this was later changed to "PG". There is no need to re-submit any M film for a PG rating...it is automatic as M has the same meaning as PG, as long as it is the same version that originally carried the M.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I find it interesting that Warners upcoming DVD release of "Watership Down" is showing a "G" rating but the original rating when it was theatrically released was "PG".

Tolerance levels for violence seem to have increased while levels for showing skin seem to have decreased.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
News flash: We don't live in a perfect world. :rolleyes
The MPAA ratings are inconsistent and sometimes misleanding, and often they don't agree with our personal sensibilites. Also, the rules change over time.
For what it is I think it does a great job. I wish the RIAA would do the same type of thing for music CDs.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
To take a quote from South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut:
Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I personally think that the Parental Advisory sticker is enough.
Except for the fact that is used sporadically at best. But it's important that the industry step up and do this kind of thing itself and not have anything imposed by governmental authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks