Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MULHOLLAND DRIVE DVD (including chapter stop discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#1 of 151 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted March 22 2002 - 02:12 AM

Can't wait to get this in the mail. Hoping to stoke the fire with some reviews. anyone?

#2 of 151 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 22 2002 - 04:31 AM

Ive been looking as well as were only 3 weeks from release. I havent seen anything yet either.

#3 of 151 Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted March 22 2002 - 08:16 AM

Hi patrick,

I have also been scanning sites for reviews. I haven't found any yet. But when they are posted, these two David Lynch oriented websites will probably alert us ASAP:

http://davidlynch.topcities.com/ Topcities pulled the website for some reason. It can now be found here: http://www.lynchnet.com/ They have a nice Oscar write up and some pics of Laura and Naomi.

http://www.dugpa.com/

This is my most anticipated release of the year. I will drop a note here if I see any reviews...

#4 of 151 Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 01:14 PM

Well, here it is April 1st and still no reviews. That seems a little odd, doesn't it? Hopefully I'll receive my copy on Monday.

#5 of 151 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 457 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted April 01 2002 - 01:27 PM

?

#6 of 151 Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 01:38 PM

I hope someone will review it soon. Posted Image Either edition (Universal or TVA) is fine by me.

Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#7 of 151 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,830 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 08:52 PM

I tried to have Universal send me an
early copy for review.

Normally this would be no problem, but
Universal is going under a bit of an overhaul
when it comes to how they are going to distribute
early screener product. This has put them on
backlog as far as getting review copies out.

For that reason, any reviews of this title
will be done through purchased copies.

I will not be reviewing this title for the
forum as I generally only do reviews of screeners
since I have an obligation to the studio to
review those first.

Looking forward to seeing the movie, however.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 151 Doug D

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 09:38 PM

Tim Lucas of Video Watchdog posted a brief note in the General Discussion forum at www.mhvf.net a couple of days ago about it.

No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now.
An Incomplete Education - a weekly column on film I write.
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HERE BEFORE - a short movie I shot.

#9 of 151 Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted April 01 2002 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the information Ron.

I knew something had to be up at Universal since up until recently one could always count on reviews nice and early.

That said. I'm glad my preordered copy from Amazon has shipped and that TVA will be sending out screeners of the Canadian edition. Hopefully one or both will arrive this week and I can post a review Posted Image

Once again. Thanks for the information

Mark
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#10 of 151 Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the movie, however.
It's quite a ride, Ron. Be prepared. I saw it in January and I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD. For all those who will be watching it for the first time when it arrives next week, may I offer the following suggestions:

1. If at all possible, avoid any and all discussion about plot before you have the chance to see the movie yourself.

2. Try to watch the movie all in one sitting if you can. Whatever you do, don't stop the movie during the last 45 minutes.

3. When you're watching the movie, try not to over-analyze too much during the first viewing. If you do you won't enjoy the "Lynchian" aspects of the film as much.

4. Once you've viewed Mulholland Drive, if you're initially perplexed then I think some of the online analysis will help you out. Here's a good starter: http://www.salon.com....rive_analysis/. Warning, do NOT read this article until you've seen the movie. You'll regret it!

Enjoy!

Posted Image

#11 of 151 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:38 AM

Ain't no way I'm letting a lack of chapter stops keep me from buying this disc!

#12 of 151 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now.

Why? This should be no surprise as several Lynch titles don't have chapter stops based on Lynch's request that a film be seen as a continuum, not segmented to be skipped around during viewing.

The Straight Story and Elephant Man have no chapter stops, and Twin Peaks: FWWM doesn't have chapters in the menu, but if you use the skip button on the remote, you will notice that New Line didn't exactly follow Lynch's direction and segmented the film anyway.

Felix Martinez

#13 of 151 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now

Not a chance of me doing that. I'm desperate to see this film again. Lynch has stated many times that he's not a fan of chapter stops. This is how he wants his film presented on dvd - without breaks, just as it was shown in the theatre.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#14 of 151 Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now

That isn't as upsetting as disgusting and innapropriate Peter Travers 'whore's lip gloss' quote given prominence on the cover. Now that is a travesty. I mean, it's a stylish, sexy, even arguably sleazy film, but c'mon!

Posted Image

Joseph

#15 of 151 Doug D

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:20 AM

Sorry, everybody, I was being sarcastic. I could care less about chapter stops, but their appearance or lack thereof seem to inspire rabid passion in people.

Next time, I'll use sarcasm tags.

I'm more bummed about Universal's SRP of $32.95 for a bare-bones disc. It's the only reason I might not buy it right away - I get the impression that this pricing is a trial balloon, and I don't want that balloon to float.
An Incomplete Education - a weekly column on film I write.
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HERE BEFORE - a short movie I shot.

#16 of 151 Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:31 AM

If I had to, I would pay the full MSRP to obtain the DVD. I bought a multiregion DVD player just to play my Japanese Lost Highway DVD. Lynch is a special case for me (and I know for some of you). If this was any other director, I would not be willing to pay the extra money to obtain a bare bones release. At least with Lynch, we know that he is not a big fan of supplements, so this is likely as good as it's going to get for a while.

#17 of 151 MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
That isn't as upsetting as disgusting and innapropriate Peter Travers 'whore's lip gloss' quote given prominence on the cover. Now that is a travesty. I mean, it's a stylish, sexy, even arguably sleazy film, but c'mon!

I always get a good laugh when I read that. Posted Image What was it again...
"For visionary daring, swooning eroticism and colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss, there's nothing like this baby anywhere... It grips you like a dream that won't let go."

#18 of 151 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 05:43 AM

Quote:
Next time, I'll use sarcasm tags.

No problem Posted Image There was just zero context to make it look sarcastic.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#19 of 151 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 06:38 AM

Try this if the films last 45 mins appears a bit...difficult-THE MULHOLLAND DRIVE SUPPORT GROUP at iFilm:

http://www.ifilm.com....425020,00.html

The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#20 of 151 Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 07:26 AM

I don't care if Lynch likes chapter stops or not- he's not the one buying the damn disc, I am! I want chapter stops!! Part of the reason I buy certain films is for reference. I don't always have time to sit through the whole movie. Sometimes I just want to watch certain parts and hate having to scan through the film to find what I want. I could see it with The Elephant Man- that's more of a traditional narrative- but with his "puzzle box" films like Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway you want to skip around, if nothing else then just to figure it out. Hopefully Universal will defy him for Lost Highway. It's not like he's contributing anything to the video releases anyway so why appease him?

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow