What's new

Which amp do you own and why? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Rotel RMB-1066:emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed
Power Configurations:
6 x 60W
3 x 150W Bridged all channels driven
unbridged, 8 ohm load, 20 - 20 kHz, 0.06% THD 60 watts
THD (20 - 20kHz)
cont. rated power
0.03% maximum
one-half rated power
0.03% maximum
one watt per channel
0.05% maximum
Intermodulation Distortion
(60 Hz: 7 kHz, 4:1) 0.03% maximum
Frequency Response 15 Hz - 100 kHz (±1dB)
Damping Factor
(20 - 20,000 Hz, 8 ohms) 150
Input Overload Level 5V
Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF A network): 116 dB
Input Impedance/Sensitivity 1.5 V, 22 kohms
Power Consumption: 700 Watts
Mainly because of the upgrade itch and limited funds. This little baby is a work horse and it really out does its specs.
Kevin. W

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I was able to demo three of the four amps I narrowed my serch down to at home. I was able to home demo the Parasound 2205AT, Rotel 1095 and ATI 2505. To my ears the 1095 sounded the best with my other equipment even though the ATI 2505 had more power. I really wanted the ATI(it must have been a power thing), but in the end I had to cave into the one that sounded the best. I was also able to get an in-store demo of the Sherbourn 5/1500A, but do to a lousy setup the demo wasn't very impressive. I blame this on the dealer and not the amp. But since I couldn't get an in-home demo I had to exclude the Sherbourn. It's a great amp, but I really needed to hear it at home before laying down my money.

george king

Supporting Actor
Rotel 1075. This sounded the best while auditioning amps. However, in the spirit of openess, I won mine about 2 weeks before I was going to purchase one :D (First time I had ever one anything in my life).

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Oh, man you WON yours. I wish I had won mine. I would have saved a bunch of money. Way to go George.

george king

Supporting Actor
Legairre,
I do not know if you are familiar with the Secrets page Link Removed But they are a great site, and run constests every month or so (you have to identify a film from a picture that the disguise). The prizes are generally items that they have reviewed in the past (the last contest which someone just won was a Yamaha 2095 receiver).
Have fun.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I own a Parasound 2003A 3x220 and a 2200II 2x220. The reason I purchased these is because they are good looking and they impress my friends;) Well, that's not the only reason; They are built solidly in and out as well as sound superb with my DIY Audax A652's, Audax center, and surrounds. I was not able to demo these, but used the advice from this board to make my decision. The amps were purchased used and are in mint condition.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
There are a lot of great amps out on the market right now and you can drive yourself nuts trying to decide which one is best for your particular setup. In home auditions are not always possible. I have had a Rotel 2 channel amp, a Bryston 4BST, 2-Sherbourn 1/300 monoblocks, and a Cinepro 12kSE. I was working on the music side first and later I will add a 5-channel amp. For my ears and system I preferred the Sherbourn over the Rotel and the Cinepro over the Bryston. Are all the comparisons fair, probably not. But the amp that remains is the Cinepro. Again, because of the power, maybe not a fair comparison to some of the other amps. I could have been happy with any of the amps but I can spend a little more money than can others. When I get a 5-channel amp it will either be the Sherbourn or the 6-channel Cinepro. I will try and save for the Cinepro so my amps are the same all the way around. This site is great for heping to narrow your choices down but in the end it's your ears which must decide as everyone has different tastes. Just my 5 cents worth.

Mike

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I got my Anthem MCA-5II in December because I had a limited budget, wanted to buy new and it got a ton of great reviews. I figured if it lacked in any way, I could always use it to power my surround channels and upgrade to a better amp for the front soundstage. So far, this baby has exceeded my expectations and it will definately remain around the house in some capacity even if I decide to upgrade someday.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Its been a slow upgrade path for me, but I bought a Rotel RB-993 a few months ago. Can't tell the difference between the 1095 and this, and also got it for a great price! However, when I get a full-time job, I'm contemplating an Australian Elektra audio Reference amp- 250*2W. This never stops does it? :frowning:
Cheers,
Mike

David Judah

Screenwriter
Sunfire Cinema Grand (200x5)
I bought it because I liked the design concept. Basically it is a modified Class D amp that constantly adjusts the rail voltage, so that it is 6 volts above the signal demand. It makes for a very efficient amplifier that runs cool and weighs only 45 lbs.(it doesn't need huge heatsinks because it doesn't generate alot of heat). It is also very powerful and it doubles the wattage as the impedance is halved.
It has two sets of outputs for the front channels, as well--a current source output that has a more "tube-like" sound and a regular voltage source output. I run the current source to the tweeters and the voltage source to the midrange and woofers. It has a very smooth, musical sound.
OK, OK, that is all well and good, but the real reason I got it is because I got a great price through a dealer accomodation.:)
DJ

brian a

Second Unit
ATI 1505 and a pair of SoundStream monoblocks. I got the 1505 after a lot of demoing and loving the clean power from it, not to mention that i got a good price on a package deal with on the 1505 and a B&K Ref 20.

The Soundstreams I just bought on here a month or so ago. I just picked them up to power the rears in my 7.1 system. They got good reviews on here, and I wasn't too terribly picky on auditioning them for the rears.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
ASL Waves. Tube amps, 8W each. And they drive 88dB speakers. And they sound much better than the 50W NAD they replaced. THD... probably a lot :)

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I also own an Anthem MCA5 mKII. Sounds great, looks great, and has good build quality. I recently got a McIntosh MC-202 200Wx2 to power my mains. Pretty dramatic difference over the Anthem. Much better dynamics and soundstaging ability. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Mac amps for any application.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Levinson 335 for music. Reason: the way it sounds.

Rotel 3-channel (RMB-1095, I think) for center and surrounds. Reason: My dealer carried it, and it seemed that it would be adequate for my needs.

Larry

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Parasound 2205, simple because it sounded better on my system then the other 10-12 amps I've owned. It is the only one that was good for both HT and music.

Samson S1000 PLENTY of power, runs cool and you cant hear the fans.

J

John Morris

Amps I currently have:
(2)ATI 2505 - I use two of these in my primary HT (I loved their very articulate, totally uncolored, revealing sound which also just plain kicks loud butt)
Crown K2 - Primary System Subwoofer Amp (Pushes my SVS Ultra to the max without distortion or fan noise)
ATI 1502 - I use this for my backyard speakers (I just kept it when I bought my second ATI 2505)
ASL MG Head OTL - Headphone Amp (best sounding match for my headphones within my budget)
Parasound 1205 - Messing around with this, my second 1205, in my bedroom HT.(Have always liked Parasound amps and got a great deal on it - bought this primarily to test pre/pros on second system in bedroom)
Some other amps that I've owned and sold, or tried but didn't buy during the last few years:
California Audio Labs CL-2500 MCA
Anthem MCA5
Cinepro 2K5
Carver 705
Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080
Parasound 1205
Adcom 555
NAD 208THX
NAD 218THX
Marantz MA-500s
Soundstream DA.1
Soundstream DA.2
Soundstream Monoblocks
Parasound 2200II
Sherbourn 5/1500 - Oops almost forgot this one.
Damn... I feel like an amp slut! :D

J

John Morris

Oh how I wish that such a thing actually existed...
Larry B: :) Okay, so I should have said... "compared to the other amps I tested". Actually, I also detected just a very slight hint of grain with the 2505s when compared to the ATI 1502 amp. Still, I preferred the 2505 to every amp, for one reason or another, except for the CAL CL-2500. Dang that amp was sweet!

Larry B

Screenwriter
Merc:
My comment wasn't meant as a criticism; it was merely some wistfullness (sp.) on my part.
Cheers...
Larry
Edit: P.S. You are an amp slut. :)

J

John Morris

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism; it was merely some wistfullness (sp.) on my part.
Larry B: No sweat! It wasn't received by me as criticism. I just wanted folks to know that as much as I love my ATI's, they aren't perfect. But, heck, in this hobby, what is ever perfect?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks