What's new

AMADEUS: Director's Cut, Poltergeist and Gremlins SEs (1 Viewer)

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I'll only buy the new Poltergeist if the weird cut is out of there. If not, the one I have will do fine :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Another Warner 2-disc SE.

I hope we'll see packaging similar to Citizen Kane instead of going the el-cheapo route like they did with the JFK: SE.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I'll only buy the new Poltergeist if the weird cut is out of there. If not, the one I have will do fine
Unfortunately, the weird cut you speak of has been in every presentation of Poltergeist I have ever seen. I have owned the original VHS, LD, and the MGM DVD (The Warner one has the same transfer.)

I was only eight when it was released theatrically so I couldn't tell you about the theatrical version.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
According to dvdfile, the theatrical release will be a director's cut with 20 minutes extra. I realize this is a bit early to start speculating, but I hope both the original and the director's cut is on the DVD when released. I have been waiting for a rerelease of this movie, I actually saw it in a theatre when it opened, but only remember being bored out of my mind back then. Later I have seen more Milos Forman movies, and liked them all a lot, so I have been wanting to see this one again as well. Unfortunately I haven't even found a rental locally, and I did not want to buy the current DVD.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I too hope they put both the theatrical and the Director's Cut of Amadeus on the disc. I for one thought the movie was pretty much perfect as is. Can't wait for these titles.
Also, could someone please explain what is meant by the "weird cut" in Poltergeist? Thanks.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I hope we'll see packaging similar to Citizen Kane instead of going the el-cheapo route like they did with the JFK: SE.
My recollection is that Warner said the "JFK" type packaging was simply a "stop-gap" (pathetic as it was) until a better 2 disc Snapper was developed...

Doubt we'll see it again...

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Very happy about all those films arriving from Warner. Can't wait for Gremlins 2...oh I love that one!

NOW...Warner...let's visit the vaults alright?!

Maybe this year is shaping up DVD wise...have to wait on whether or not I will be totally happy this year with DVD based on the pending Paramount announcements....

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Also, could someone please explain what is meant by the "weird cut" in Poltergeist? Thanks.
During the movie there's a scene where Carol Anne is flying over the kitchen floor. The father is already home at this point.

The scene transition to the porch of the neighbours house (with all the mosquito's) is in mid-sentence. Like there's something missing or cut out of the movie by someone who has never edited a film before. It's puzzeling (and slightly annoying). The first time I watched the dvd I stopped the movie to see it had the same flaw on the full-screen side. It had.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
According to www.filmratings.com the Amadeus Director's Cut (2002) is rated R for brief nudity.
I'm not thrilled with that news. First of all, this picture won Best Picture of 1984 as it was released theatrically (rated PG). The current DVD (a flipper) of that original version is inferior in quality and extras for such a big film and in need of re-issue.
Our family rented and watched Amadeus on DVD recently. We enjoyed the classical music and the story, but as noted the current DVD is lacking. I looked forward to a special edition DVD release to purchase. We could live with the PG-level content for our 8-year old daughter, who took up violin in the past year and thus enjoyed the music in the movie. But now I don't want her to see the Director's Cut, which is a different movie.
They should release both versions on DVD, either separately or in the same package. I'm only interested in the picture that won the Oscar.

Dan M

Second Unit
According to DVDfile, Amadaeus is going to have a re-release of the new expanded version in a limited amount of theaters this spring. So when the new version comes out on DVD later this year it can still be called a theatrical version (of sorts).

When the new dvd comes outI wish that the added 20 minutes could be accessed via seamless branching so that the original version could still be watched. Guess I'll have to hang on to my old copy.

Still, it's about time Amadeus got a re-issue. It's long over due. Looking forward to this

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see Amadeus get a nice DTS track on there. The music would really benefit.

Come on WB!!!!

Dan

Will K

Screenwriter
As exciting as this news is and as much as I love Amadeus, I think the theatrical version is perfect as it is. Of course, I will see the new version but I personally don't feel the movie needs to be longer. As noted by other members in this thread, I just hope both versions will be presented on DVD.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to the Amadeus 2-Disc SE for a while, but if the original theatrical cut isn't on there, well then, I'll be pissed. It's a 2-Disc Set though, so I HOPE they are leaving all the room on Disc 1 to watch the original 1984 cut or the extended cut with branching.

I refuse to buy a DSSL flipper of the original cut, but let's just hope both versions are on this disc.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting so long for a re-release! Admittedly, the news might become a little tainted if the original theatrical release isn't on the disc as well, especially since this is one of my top 5 favorite flicks of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks