What's new

The Shining OAR or MAR (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Is the shining in its oar of 1:33 or is it modified because Kubrick wanted it like that. I think that it looks like its oar was 1:85 or something in that area. Plus at the beginging it said that "The following film has been modified from its original aspect. It has been modified to fit your sceen" at the beging.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
As far as I am aware the film was shown theatrically at 1.66 : 1, but Kubrick shoots his films for the 1.33:1 aspect ratio as he seems to prefer this. ( I think the phrase is that the picture "matted" for theatrical presentation). Thus, on the DVD you get more picture info at the top and bottom with no loss at the sides, and this is Kubrick's preferred version as well. I would still like it in the theatrical aspect ratio as well though.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
so this is a movie that if they were to rerelease it, you would not mind if they created 2 versions Kubricks version and the theater version. I would buy both. I just got done renting it. Can somebody explain who the two girls are that scare Danny. How does the black man know he likes to be called "Doc". Lastly, was Jack hullusinating when he saw the nude woman in room 373 or which ever room it was.

rhett

Supporting Actor
How does the black man know he likes to be called "Doc".
Richard Hallorann knows Danny is called Doc because he, like Danny has 'the shining'. He can talk and understand Danny through the mind, without words. Hope that helps.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I don't know how this looks great, because there a bunch of dots and specs everywhere. I consiter restored as done by the way how Citizen Kane looks. Nothing on the print at all that would make it look old. I think this would sound great in a 5.1 stereo in my opinion.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Does it say Digitaly Restored and remastered on the front or do I have to look on the back somewhere since I rented the unrestored verson from blockbuster. Does it look significantly better or does it look and sound the same just with no dots and specs and in 5.1 surround sound.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The current discs (look for the digitally remastered and restored byline on the front) look great from what I've read.
DVDAngle gave the video 4.5 out of 5, so I would expect it to be pretty spotless. The audio got 4 out of 5, so that's great for a 1980 film.

You can't miss the byline...it's right on the top of the cover under "The Stanley Kubrick Collection."

The other WB-owned films in the collection, Lolita, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket were restored as well and except for Lolita, all feature great 5.1 tracks. 2001 is anamorphic 2.10:1 widescreen (without the matting on the top and bottom which made it 2.21:1) and Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon are all 1.66:1 non-anamorphic widescreen.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Can somebody awnser the other questions I had about this movie that are a few posts up.
Well since it has only been 19 min. since you posted it maybe you should learn a little patience. Or maybe learn to search out the information yourself if you just have to know.

FYI, many members will avoid this thread because it has been discussed over, and over, and over, and over...

-Chad

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Can somebody explain who the two girls are that scare Danny. How does the black man know he likes to be called "Doc". Lastly, was Jack hullusinating when he saw the nude woman in room 373 or which ever room it was.
The answers to these questions are all clearly explained in the film....I suggest that you watch it again :D

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick and Ryan:

The Digitally Remastered DVD looks TREMENDOUS!!! on my Sony Vega. It is beautiful. It almost looks like the movie was made in 2000 and not 1980. It is that good.

Ryan:

You must have the other version of the Shining which I hear has the flaws you mentioned.

I really wasn't a fan of this movie until I got the DVD. Now it is one of my favorites not only because the movie is so good but also because of the incredible technical presentation of a movie this age.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
As for who the girls are (pay attention to the initial interview sequence, and pay attention to the conversation between Jack and the waiter in the bathroom later on) and why Halloran knows to call Danny "Doc", yes these are very obvious if you watch the film.

As for whether the lady in the bathtub is real, well that is basically the entire point of the film. Is it live or is it Memorex? :) However, the fact that the "beautiful woman" turns into the "old/decomposing woman" might be a tipoff.

Luc D

Second Unit
I'm lucky enough to be watching a 35 print of the film tomorrow in class. And it's coming straight from Warner so it should be a good one. I'll let you guys know what the aspect ratio was. Hopefully it'll answer some questions.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Kubrick filmed with 1.33 in mind and wanted his films shown that way on Home Video. (in theaters for that matter, but he had no control over that)

Period.

---

Let me re-phrase... for the titles that are presented in 4:3 on the current DVD releases that was his intention.

Pardon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks