What's new

Subwoofer under the floor? (1 Viewer)

Walter_M

Grip
I'm considering relocating my subwoofer from behind the sofa to under the livingroom floor (there's a 3 foot high crawl space). Before I go through the trouble, I thought I'd ask: is it worth the trouble? Or is a floor too much for even the low frequencies of a subwoofer to penetrate?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You should consider an 'IB' infinite baffle.
Do a search, it's out there.
Basically a box that has 2 or more subs firing INTO it, with an open end mated to the floor with a heat register grate over it.
Magnets on the outside.
Looks alien, but it's got to be the most unreal sound...
Link Removed
Good Luck

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With the right driver an IB is supposed to be the ultimate in bass.

However, I'll correct Colin a little bit there. An IB can have a single driver. It's not a requirement to have pairs opposing each other in a manifold. It's still an IB if you mount 1, 3 or 83 drivers on a wall all firing straight into the room (like #2 in the link he posted).

What's nice about the pairs or sets of pairs opposing each other in a manifold is they cancel each others vibrations so you don't shake what the drivers are mounted to. You don't cancel the bass, just the motion.

Walter_M

Grip
You guys are way ahead of me. I'm just considering relocating my Yamaha YST-SW105 subwoofer in the crawl space under the floor (in order to shorten the cable run from the amp).

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Not the best.

Subs rely on the room they are in quite a bit.

If it's easy enough, give it a shot. Adjusting the volume may be a pain in the ass, depending on what it takes to get in and out of there.

- C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks