What's new

Paramount - Thanks for TNG season 1 (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Just wanted to extend my congratulations to Paramount on their release of Star Trek: The Next Generation season 1 on DVD (at last!).
We asked for it and we got it:
Complete season set
Video quality better than I've ever seen it on TV
5.1 remix + original soundtrack
A few nice featurettes
Terrific Lcars DVD menus
Additionally, I was surprised that
1) the R1 packaging is really smart (much better than the photos made it look). I have no big regrets over missing out on the R2 dust magnet boxes.
2) I really enjoyed Encounter at Farpoint. I'd only seen this ep once (about 14 yrs ago ;) ), and didn't like it at the time. Maybe it was the 5.1. Maybe it was the hilariously OTT acting by Sirtis & Crosby. Whatever, it bodes well for the rest of the season.
But let's not say there's no room for improvement. :D I would personally love to see
1) Commentaries on selected episodes by cast & crew (maybe too late for TNG, but how about DS9)
2) Original episode trailers (in Easter Eggs if need be)
3) Some gag reels
4) DS9 in 2003. Please don't release Voyager before DS9. :)
5) Not so important, but how about a fabric strip in the box, similar to the one in The Sopranos sets. Getting the inner box out can be a bit tricky.
6) How about a text commentary of episode "nitpicks" and factoids.
Anyone else?

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
All I have to say is well done and thank you very much Paramount. The set is fine as is.

Please make DS9 the second next series to be released as it is probably my favourite series.

Again, thank you for listening to us all and good job.

Norm

Chris M

Second Unit
The quality on Encounter at Farpoint (the only one I've watched so far) was phenomenal! Especially compared to the really terrible Columbia House VHS tapes :frowning:
Anyway, I have a whopping 1 complaint... that would be, please consider putting a chapter stop at the end of the introduction, so we can skip right past it and get into the show. Just like the X-Files does.
That's it, that's all!
Good work Paramount!
Chris.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, they have put chapter stops at the end of the intro. I've watched the first 6 eps so far, and I've skipped the intro everytime.

Norm

Chris M

Second Unit
Yup, I noticed that... for The Naked Now anyway, but for some reason they didn't do it for Encounter At Farpoint. Immediately the intro starts which is okay, but when you chapter skip ahead it goes quite a ways into the beginning of the show.
But now that I've seen that The Naked Now does put a chapter placement right at the end of the intro, it's all good! :D
Thanks,
Chris.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, unfortunately, they're not all like that. I've just watched Haven and The Big Goodbye, and there is no chapter stop after the intro. Damn annoying.

So I'll secong your call for chapter stops after the intro so that we can skip it if we wish to.

Otherwise, great set.

Norm

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
How about a Play All option? I would like to watch the entire disc in one sitting without having to go back up 2 menus to select the next episode!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Larry: You're saying that you'd like to sit through this for twenty-seven hours straight? That's a lot of coffee, man!

Hey, I love this set!

But did anybody else have trouble figuring how to get the discs out of their retaining clips? I was tired at the time, but it took me about five minutes to realize that all one must do is simply pull the discs out--unlike the traditional retaining spindle where one must depress it to release the disc.

Weird.

The set, though, is a total winner. And it feels great to be liberated from TNN's visual desecration of this excellent series--you know, that stupid message bar of the network's and the "squishing" of the entire image. Ugh.

As a result, I'm committing myself to spending apprx. $700 this year on all the TNG boxsets. Great job, Paramount! Big thumbs up.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Some eps of Buffy Season 2 had the problem where the credits chapter skip put you too far on the other side. I wonder if it's down to a specific authoring package?

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

My Two Cents: I commend Paramount on "Star Trek The Next Generation Box Set. The Dolby Digital 5.1 Track is Great and adds a little more substance than the Original Dolby Surround Mix. Well Done. The Extras on Disc 7 were also Great! The only criticism I have is the Packaging. I Would have preferred a Standard keepcase design in keeping with the 40 Volumes of TOS that I have. I Found that when I took the plastic off and had to deal with a perforated bottom edge in order to save the back descriptive cover and synopsis of the set and open the box to be problematic. That in my view was where the packaging design was flawed. Perhaps it would have been better to have kept the concept of the description of the box set contents as a permanent part of the back of the box as opposed to a seperate piece of paper with soft glue that sticks on the back of the box. Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks