What's new

I am DEEP FRY CRAZY!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
If it doesn't run away or bite..I stick it in my deep fryer!!! I mean...EVERYTHING tastes better deep fried! And NO aspect ratios or hardware conflicts to worry about!

It started with french fries in an counter fryer...and then I saw it...an outdoor fryer!!!! And again...mostly fries and onion rings. Then I bought a second one to do a turkey with and it hit me..FRY EVERYTHING!!!!!!

The turkey was delicious, no doubt. And now on occasion I have what I call "Fat Friday" when I go into a deep fry trance. Since this summer I have fried:

Dough wrapped mini hot dogs

Frozen mozzarella sticks

Pizza nuggest

Chicken nuggets

Hot Dogs

Generic poppin' fresh dough biscuits. THESE were incredibly fluffy and stayed moist for a coupla days even when left out uncovered!!!!

Chickens

And more....

My most recent experiment was frozen breakfast sausage links...crisp outside but REALLY juicy inside!!! My next Fat Friday I am going to deep fry fozen meatballs and also bacon!!!!!

So..anyone else out there love to deep fry stuff?

And what is the most tasty...unusual...exotic...wierd... thing you deep fried yourself or tasted of someone elses?

Mark Lee

Second Unit
You remind me of that Simpsons episode where a restaurant commercial shows them dipping an entire tray of food (plates, glasses, and all) into a deep fryer, after which everything, including the glassware, comes out a nice golden brown....
You don't by chance deep fry some Lipitor with that, do you? :D

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I love fried bisquits.Bacon is great on a grill too.When I was a kid we used to deep fry egg rolls quite often.Also,try some macaroni,we used to do it alot and make somthing simmilar to cinnimon twists from taco bell.Trotilla flours are good,they make chips when deep fried...or if you have somthing you can hold down on it a good shell for taco salad.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Couple ideas, something someone else mentioned...bacon! Also, I think pop tarts might be interesting although you probably have to stay away from the frosted kind. I had heard that frozen candy bars, dipped in batter (like you would use on fish) worked pretty well too. Funnel cake is pretty good, if you search around the web you can find recipes for it.

Enjoy and report back on what you tried.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Turkey rules because it turns that awful black color, yet tastes better than any turkey mom ever made. Never dry, and very juicy.

I'm a serious fried okra addict, but opinions may vary. You can always pick some pre-breaded ones up from the grocery store, unless they are banned in NJ. Put hot sauce on the top, and taste what popcorn dreams of being.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
scoot,
while your post is funny, I do have to say that in all seriousness- fried foods are very unhealthy.
When i first moved out at 18, as a poor kid just out of high school living with his first real girlfriend, I bought a small fry-daddy machine. Because the local poverty grocery store carried cheap fries and other stuff (breaded chicken, etc)-- these things were best cooked fried.
I got to the point that the frydaddy took over the stovetop, and I never used any cooking device but the fryer. I had no microwave- so everything that didn't go in the oven, went in the fry-daddy.
I got very very ill. After 9 months of living on almost nothing but fried food my skin started turning a sick shade of grey and I started having chronic stomach aches. i had intestinal problems like you cannot image and began experiencing extreme fatigue.
It took almost a year to full recover from my condition of horrible nutrition.
Just a word of warning- fried food can be dangerous.
:)
Vince

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
NO DOUBT can be too much of a good thing!!!! Like I said...about once a month I do the Fat Friday...I prefer not to start calling it Clot Friday!!!!!

Tried the funnel cakes...have to do that in a pan..the pot is too deep and the batter scatters in the oil.

Both my turkey AND chickens came out golden and moist. Used a flavor injector too!!!! It's a matter of the oil being JUST right PLUS 25 degrees. Thing is..the bird will bring the temp down almost instantly..and maintaining the right temp is very important.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Only in America.
I think deep fryers are illegal in Canada.
I *really* wish *I* had the opportunity to clog *my* arteries.
:)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Are they??? hmm, well helps health canda save money lol :)
I saw some home-deep-fryers on sale at like canadian tire though

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I just bought a deep fryer for the sole purpose of home-made chicken wings - Durkee's Red Hot Sauce rules on wings !

How long can you use the oil, then how do you discard it ?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ben: I am 46...left 30 behind a while ago!

Kirk: Depends on what you cook in it. If you are cooking poultry..then 3-4 max. Other stuff...a fair bit longer. I bought a commercial oil strainer that removes EVERYTHING from used oil. That lengthens the life of oil used on non-poulty frying, altho I strain poultry oil as well.

As for dumping used oil...I do it in my yard. Have a small hole dug and I dump it there. Thing is...each deep fryer can use up to 3-4 gallons of oil..depending on what I am making and size of the pot. I buy oil when on sale...usually 1.99-2.99 a gallon and stick with veg. or corn oil.

E

Eric Kahn

Next time you are gong to make french fries, throw a hunk of beef fat in the oil as you warm it up and let it melt in with the oil, beef fat or tallow is the reason the Mcdonalds french fries used to taste really good, that is untill the health nuts made them go to 100% veggie oil, now I usually don't even buy the frys, they taste blah anymore

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
There is a product called "Drake's Mix" that when combined with water makes a batter. It is really for fried chicken and onion rings but damn! does it make tasty fries!

If you add a little less water it works even better when it is thicker.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Eric: Would bacon grease do the same thing??? I had wondered that at one time.

BTW...this seems to becoming a preview of some of what I will serve at the HTF meets here this summer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some friends and I have had a couple of "Fry-days, where we brought the Fry-daddy up the lab (putting it in a fume-hood :) ), and made ourselves lunch (good times).
For those, we did:
battered moz. cheese sticks
Hush-puppies
Corn-dogs (oh yeah!)
I also highly recommend homemade doughnut holes! (these are beyond rich).
I've used mine in preparing the Chinese dish, General Tso's Chicken.
I may have to pull out my fryer this weekend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks