-

Photo
- - - - -

I am DEEP FRY CRAZY!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted March 18 2002 - 12:25 PM

If it doesn't run away or bite..I stick it in my deep fryer!!! I mean...EVERYTHING tastes better deep fried! And NO aspect ratios or hardware conflicts to worry about!

It started with french fries in an counter fryer...and then I saw it...an outdoor fryer!!!! And again...mostly fries and onion rings. Then I bought a second one to do a turkey with and it hit me..FRY EVERYTHING!!!!!!

The turkey was delicious, no doubt. And now on occasion I have what I call "Fat Friday" when I go into a deep fry trance. Since this summer I have fried:

Dough wrapped mini hot dogs
Frozen mozzarella sticks
Pizza nuggest
Chicken nuggets
Hot Dogs
Generic poppin' fresh dough biscuits. THESE were incredibly fluffy and stayed moist for a coupla days even when left out uncovered!!!!
Chickens
And more....

My most recent experiment was frozen breakfast sausage links...crisp outside but REALLY juicy inside!!! My next Fat Friday I am going to deep fry fozen meatballs and also bacon!!!!!

So..anyone else out there love to deep fry stuff?
And what is the most tasty...unusual...exotic...wierd... thing you deep fried yourself or tasted of someone elses?

#2 of 52 Mark Lee

Mark Lee

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 12:57 PM

You remind me of that Simpsons episode where a restaurant commercial shows them dipping an entire tray of food (plates, glasses, and all) into a deep fryer, after which everything, including the glassware, comes out a nice golden brown....

You don't by chance deep fry some Lipitor with that, do you? Posted Image
Mark K. Lee

"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

#3 of 52 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted March 18 2002 - 01:07 PM

OOHhh, deep fried spagetti, Crunchy!!

#4 of 52 Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 01:15 PM

I love fried bisquits.Bacon is great on a grill too.When I was a kid we used to deep fry egg rolls quite often.Also,try some macaroni,we used to do it alot and make somthing simmilar to cinnimon twists from taco bell.Trotilla flours are good,they make chips when deep fried...or if you have somthing you can hold down on it a good shell for taco salad.

#5 of 52 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted March 18 2002 - 01:20 PM

Mark: Nope..but I COULD deep fry some Cheerios for lowering cholesterol instead!

#6 of 52 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted March 18 2002 - 03:26 PM

Couple ideas, something someone else mentioned...bacon! Also, I think pop tarts might be interesting although you probably have to stay away from the frosted kind. I had heard that frozen candy bars, dipped in batter (like you would use on fish) worked pretty well too. Funnel cake is pretty good, if you search around the web you can find recipes for it.

Enjoy and report back on what you tried.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#7 of 52 Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 03:44 PM

Turkey rules because it turns that awful black color, yet tastes better than any turkey mom ever made. Never dry, and very juicy.

I'm a serious fried okra addict, but opinions may vary. You can always pick some pre-breaded ones up from the grocery store, unless they are banned in NJ. Put hot sauce on the top, and taste what popcorn dreams of being.

#8 of 52 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 03:50 PM

scoot,

while your post is funny, I do have to say that in all seriousness- fried foods are very unhealthy.

When i first moved out at 18, as a poor kid just out of high school living with his first real girlfriend, I bought a small fry-daddy machine. Because the local poverty grocery store carried cheap fries and other stuff (breaded chicken, etc)-- these things were best cooked fried.

I got to the point that the frydaddy took over the stovetop, and I never used any cooking device but the fryer. I had no microwave- so everything that didn't go in the oven, went in the fry-daddy.

I got very very ill. After 9 months of living on almost nothing but fried food my skin started turning a sick shade of grey and I started having chronic stomach aches. i had intestinal problems like you cannot image and began experiencing extreme fatigue.

It took almost a year to full recover from my condition of horrible nutrition.

Just a word of warning- fried food can be dangerous.

Posted Image

Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#9 of 52 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted March 18 2002 - 04:16 PM

NO DOUBT can be too much of a good thing!!!! Like I said...about once a month I do the Fat Friday...I prefer not to start calling it Clot Friday!!!!!

Tried the funnel cakes...have to do that in a pan..the pot is too deep and the batter scatters in the oil.

Both my turkey AND chickens came out golden and moist. Used a flavor injector too!!!! It's a matter of the oil being JUST right PLUS 25 degrees. Thing is..the bird will bring the temp down almost instantly..and maintaining the right temp is very important.

#10 of 52 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 04:51 PM

I went overboard one time when I deep fried and ate an entire onion.

#11 of 52 MikeF

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 05:13 PM

Only in America.

I think deep fryers are illegal in Canada.

I *really* wish *I* had the opportunity to clog *my* arteries.

Posted Image
My oh so exciting DVD collection.

#12 of 52 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 08:04 PM

Are they??? hmm, well helps health canda save money lol Posted Image

I saw some home-deep-fryers on sale at like canadian tire though

#13 of 52 Ben Motley

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 08:56 PM

Dude, you rock! Just get it out of your system before you're 30. Posted Image

#14 of 52 Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 11:25 PM

I just bought a deep fryer for the sole purpose of home-made chicken wings - Durkee's Red Hot Sauce rules on wings !

How long can you use the oil, then how do you discard it ?

#15 of 52 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted March 18 2002 - 11:35 PM

Ben: I am 46...left 30 behind a while ago!

Kirk: Depends on what you cook in it. If you are cooking poultry..then 3-4 max. Other stuff...a fair bit longer. I bought a commercial oil strainer that removes EVERYTHING from used oil. That lengthens the life of oil used on non-poulty frying, altho I strain poultry oil as well.

As for dumping used oil...I do it in my yard. Have a small hole dug and I dump it there. Thing is...each deep fryer can use up to 3-4 gallons of oil..depending on what I am making and size of the pot. I buy oil when on sale...usually 1.99-2.99 a gallon and stick with veg. or corn oil.

#16 of 52 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted March 19 2002 - 01:41 AM

Next time you are gong to make french fries, throw a hunk of beef fat in the oil as you warm it up and let it melt in with the oil, beef fat or tallow is the reason the Mcdonalds french fries used to taste really good, that is untill the health nuts made them go to 100% veggie oil, now I usually don't even buy the frys, they taste blah anymore

#17 of 52 JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted March 19 2002 - 01:50 AM

There is a product called "Drake's Mix" that when combined with water makes a batter. It is really for fried chicken and onion rings but damn! does it make tasty fries!

If you add a little less water it works even better when it is thicker.

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#18 of 52 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted March 19 2002 - 02:05 AM

Mars Bars.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#19 of 52 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,510 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted March 19 2002 - 02:09 AM

Eric: Would bacon grease do the same thing??? I had wondered that at one time.

BTW...this seems to becoming a preview of some of what I will serve at the HTF meets here this summer.

#20 of 52 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,565 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 19 2002 - 07:27 AM

Some friends and I have had a couple of "Fry-days, where we brought the Fry-daddy up the lab (putting it in a fume-hood Posted Image ), and made ourselves lunch (good times).

For those, we did:
battered moz. cheese sticks
Hush-puppies
Corn-dogs (oh yeah!)

I also highly recommend homemade doughnut holes! (these are beyond rich).

I've used mine in preparing the Chinese dish, General Tso's Chicken.

I may have to pull out my fryer this weekend Posted Image